400w HPS??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuggy4105

The grass is greener...
Reaction score
Hey folks,how goes?
have a bit of a problem(i think)with my new HPS lamp n` ballast,
i would like to know if it`s normal or not,for the ballast to get hot after the usual 12 hrs cycle,it`s so hot that it`s very warm to the touch n` almost "hard to handle".
if anyone has any ideas about this problem,i would love to hear them?
cheers.

the 400 hps we use gets hot. Hot enough it's not recommended that it sit on carpet. We have a wooden box that it sits on top of, but yes it gets hot, but not cook an egg hot and not burning your skin hot, about a hot chocolate that's been sitting for 20 minutes hot.:) Just put it on something for safety. Good luck.

If you're talking about the ballast, I keep a small fan blowing on mine when it's on to disperse some of the heat.
Seems to work well, even during the summer.

If you are a ''safe'' person, that won't hit things or pour water on them and everything.... all u need to do is open the metal box... it'll prop open on itself... it'll drop the ballasts temperature pretty decent... either that or get out the hole saw and get a computer fan on the ole thing.

i slightly melted one of my sprayers with my ballast :p it still works, just flat on one side where its buckled under the heat.

we keep our ballast on a wooden chair :)

KADE said:
If you are a ''safe'' person, that won't hit things or pour water on them and everything.... all u need to do is open the metal box... it'll prop open on itself... it'll drop the ballasts temperature pretty decent... either that or get out the hole saw and get a computer fan on the ole thing.

The ballast i have is an HPS/MH conversion, i.e it can take both bulbs.
However, it`s not metal or sure doesn`t look or feel metal. it`s more hardened plastic:confused: , maybe it is metal but has a protective covering on it.
you heard of these ones Kade?:ccc: :confused: :confused: :ccc:

Latest posts

Back