480v

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombbudpuffa

Sweet Cheeba Chiefa
Reaction score
Is there any way to convert a 480v ballast to a 120v? Thnx, all help is appreciated!:D

depending on the ballast you usually dont have to worry when downgrading in volts. its only hard when goin up because you have to change your wires out for a thicker guage.

just go to the hardware store and by some 120 connectors (the only connectors that will look like they can fit in your wall)

depending on the balast there should only be the 3 prong. before you go by the 120, unscrew your connection (the part that plugs into your wall) and see how many set of wires are there. if there is only 3 or 4, then you can easily change them over to 120.

its pretty self explanitory once you unscrew it and see the wires. but let me know if you have any more questions about the actuall wiring. you never want to fk around with electricity

you never want to fk around with electricity
And I never do!!! Unless i'm 100%(95%...lol) sure of what i'm doing. My ballast doesn't have the 120v wire or 240v only 480v wire. Are you sure I could hook this up 120v?!? Don't wanna burn anything down! Thnx!

oh my lord im gunna freakin kill someone. i had this whole post typed out, but it timed out. so when i hit 'go advanced' it said i wasnt logged in. so when i logged in everything disappeared.

ok here we go again.

it should be ok. i havent first hand had to re wire a 480v, but i know it follows the same general concept as everything else.

it is common misconception that more volts equals more electricity running. but its the opposite. the more volts the less amps are drawn. this is due to a couple of things, but mainly do to the quality and guage of wire.

so think about it as if it were speakers. if you have a couple small speakers, you will only need low guage, cheap audio wire to run them.

but if you get a couple big speakers, you will need a thicker guage audio wire in order to handle the current being drawn, and for sound quality.

so lets say now you have big speakers, and you want to downgrade to smaller speakers.

you will not 'need' or 'have' to buy low guage wire in order for those speakers to work. where as when you got big speakers you had to buy thicker guage wire for them to work. see what i mean?

so you are downgrading in volts. since it was 480, that means you have thick wire- which isnt a problem if you are downgrading, and should cause no troubles rewiring it to a 120. see what im gettin at?

im gunna throw this up on paintshop, and let me know if it doesnt make sense.

also know that there are different varieties in plugs. so try not to get confused by the fked up pics lol . you should get the general idea.

also note that the first post was much better written before it go erased. :laugh:

plugs.JPG

backside.JPG

comming apart.JPG

all done.JPG

Lol!!! Okay, I got you...makes sense. Thnx alot!!!!

i learn something everyday in here

i think we all do. :D

let me know if it doesnt go as planned or if you have ne questions

Latest posts

Back