48hrs of darkness before harvest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never tried the 48 hours of darkness as I could not get that concept to register in my 72 year old brain. Good to hear that I did not waste any drying time trying it. Thank you to those that tried it and reported their findings

I’m afraid to ask some of you guys anything, you’re just too smart for some of us. I think I’d rather just let them die than bounce around to multiple boards trying to get answer without all the condescending retorts.

I’ve been going to various forum and message board communities for at least 20 years. Golf, college football and hoops, Cubs baseball, musical gear like guitars, mandolins, and fiddles, military scale modeling, and of course cannabis growing, and I must say, weed growing forums are easily the rudest and most condescending. I thought those snobs over at MandolinCafe were tough. They’re even worse than the fiddle nerds, but they can’t touch you guys. MP is not the worst but you guys are a carrier for sure.

Apologize to the plant, seriously? I guess one must be very keen on becoming a good grower, and bring their A-game when they want to learn something.
Thank you. It seems new members opinions aren't very highly regarded here, that's become extremely apparent.

I am new here and do not sense condenscending replies here. There is actual moderation and restrictions in place here, which are needed. There are bad cannabis forums on the internet, this is about the kindest one I've seen.

You are judged by your knowledge and not "board seniority" it appears to me. Exactly how it should be!

OMG people do you not understand a JOKE? Rosebud is a very nice person and a knowledgeable resource. She was giving a little bit of crap because this whole thing is a crack pot of an idea. Trying new things is good but there must be some sort of logical basis for what you're doing. Stressing a plant out is not going to make it more potent. If you can't understand "apologize to the plant" is a cheeky joke you're an oversensitive KAREN looking for something to be upset over. Glad I could help...

I grow my plants to big as I have problems with them becoming root bound in 7 gal. Of course I get at least 4 ounces from each plant. Due to my health I can no longer smoke, but I can eat the hell out of it. Made a batch of brownies and had the neighbors come over. It was a good night!

It’s funny cause I have em on a timer and I still wake up at 445 on the dot get up open the flap for some air and the lights just kicking on its crazy ill doze off at night before 11 and something always bolts me awake at 11 to go close up the tent

Good to know i'm not the only one who's mind wakes them up in order to open/close up the tent.

I really have never read this or done this.

What is their rational for doing this? Is there a scientific reason?
I understand that the reason is to allow the plant to vacate nutrients from the leaves and buds. The nutrients and other chemicals can increase the likelihood that your harvested pot will taste bitter and be nasty on your throat. It looks like a variation on common advice to harvest outdoor plants JUST BEFORE DAWN. The nighttime darkness allows the plant to pull unpleasant tastes away from the buds.

I've done it a few times to see what I thought...
Looks like you’re stressing the plant with the hope that it will produce more trichomes in the buds. I’ve never done this, but it’s happened that branches will snap and will hang onto the trunk by a veritable thread. Now that’s stress! And you know what happens? NOTHING! Somehow, the branch still survives and even thrives, but I’ve never seen an observable difference in bud size or trichome production as compared to other areas of the plant.

I understand that the reason is to allow the plant to vacate nutrients from the leaves and buds. The nutrients and other chemicals can increase the likelihood that your harvested pot will taste bitter and be nasty on your throat. It looks like a variation on common advice to harvest outdoor plants JUST BEFORE DAWN. The nighttime darkness allows the plant to pull unpleasant tastes away from the buds.

This was my understanding of the purpose for it. It seems to make some sense in that regard, that the plant would be pulling more nutrients from the soil during the time that light is shining on it and there may not be as much of it present in the upper parts during an extended time in darkness. There may be nothing to that at all for all I know, I never do it, mainly because my grows are usually a little staggered, but it makes sense on some level.
I have tried it a couple times years ago though and, honestly, I never noticed a difference.

Don't let oneself be caught up in all the street mythology and Youtube hype. There are many reasons for the production of trichomes. One of them being the shading of the bud to protect against UV light penetration causing chromosome damage on the cellular level. If you want to produce more trichomes give the plant more light. But...you need to start with good plant genetics that has the capability to produce a heavy coating of trichomes to begin with. If one starts with good genetics, good soil, good light of the proper color spectrum and intensity, water of proper pH, and supply the proper nutes, and good fresh air ventilation you will produce top level buds. Just make sure you provide what the plant requires...they know what to do with it...

spaade

Latest posts

Back