4'x8' room...what's the best lighting for this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Roddy

A friend has asked what lights would be needed for various sized rooms, I think we're getting down to the size room that'll best work for his grow and I don't want to misinform. I'm thinking a pr of 600w would do the trick...thoughts? It's early, I could be way off, so please correct and recommend!

THANKS!!

2 600's will get ya 180,000 lumens so that will do lumen wise....

THANKS Hammy! That was my thought as well, the pair of lights would spread the footprint out to fill the whole room, too!

I run 2 600's in 4x7 so 4x8 wont be an issue and should cover nicely.

I ran 2 600W in a 3 x 6.5' space. I really think that I would go with 2 1000W in that sized space.

I would also go 2 - 1000 watters

LOL, as I did run a room of the same size (4'x8') and am not an owner of a 600w, I agree...but I think the person asking is concerned with cost of electricity. Anyone know what difference a pr of 600's would be from 1000's?

THANKS for the answers so far!!

about 800 more watts lold :p,
two 600s with nice bulbs should cover nice.

I would use two 1k's. I use 2 600's in a 4'9" x 4'9" room.

I would do two 1000s. I run 6 600 in a 6.5 x 10' should probably be using 3 1000's instead. But who knew that I would end up here after starting out with a 400 watt outdoor light.

I will take a different approach to this as I like to make sure I get good coverage to all my plants in the grow-lab. I have 3 600w in cool tubes across a space that is 7'x4' basically and it rocks nicely :) I think the 2 1ks would certainly rock but I like having the coverage of 3 light sources. It really makes the lower buds bulk up like the higher buds. :)

two 1000's would be great...but you better have GREAT VENTILATION!!..Exspecially in the summer those 2-1000's are going to give off a lot of heat...i have a 4x4x7 and 1-1000...and in the summer i have heat issues...average summer day=90's-100 daily....so i go with lights on at night...low 80's/high70's at night outside so helps keeping tent temps a little lower...and thats also with 2 tower oscillating fans and a 440 inline fan running 24hrs

If you could afford 3, 600's. I would agree, that would be the best choice.

NOTHING LESS THAN 2K...........60watts per sq ft is ideal.......

2000w/32sf= 62.5wsf........PERFECT!!!!

1200/32= 37.5wsf...............VERY WEAK light penetration!

I judge my room off watts per square foot.......IMO..the only way to do it proper!!

and if you do the ventilation proper....there wont be an issue at all....

i run 4k in 64sqft....max temp 76......just do it right the first time and youll be fine!

IMO, lighting needs need to be figured by lumens per sq ft rather than watts per sq ft. Different types and sizes of lighting vary so much in their lumen to watt ratio that it makes using watts per sq ft an inefficient method of determining light needs. For example, CFLs emit around 62 lumens per watt. Two thousand watts of CFL is only 124,000 lumens--less than that of a single 1000W HPS and far below what this room requires. Two thousand watts (62.5 W per sq ft) is only adequate if the lumens are there.

The smaller HPS only put out about 100 lumens per watt, while the larger ones put out 150 lumens per watt. Since we define lighting needs by lumens per sq ft, that is really the best way to figure your lighting needs.

yes there are so many variables.....sure....

however, i dont use less than a 1k bulb in any room, unless its my clones/cuttings...

The Hemp Goddess said:
IMO, lighting needs need to be figured by lumens per sq ft rather than watts per sq ft. Different types and sizes of lighting vary so much in their lumen to watt ratio that it makes using watts per sq ft an inefficient method of determining light needs. For example, CFLs emit around 62 lumens per watt. Two thousand watts of CFL is only 124,000 lumens--less than that of a single 1000W HPS and far below what this room requires. Two thousand watts (62.5 W per sq ft) is only adequate if the lumens are there.

The smaller HPS only put out about 100 lumens per watt, while the larger ones put out 150 lumens per watt. Since we define lighting needs by lumens per sq ft, that is really the best way to figure your lighting needs.

I have 6 - 5gal buckets 32" on center in a grid so its roughly a 3'x6' footprint and I use 2 1000w'ers and am happy with the results...I'd never even consider 600's

Resize of 100_2523.jpg

Resize of Picture 009.jpg

Latest posts

Back