5 Essential Points About Cannabis Juicing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
https://www.learngreenflower.com/articles/233/5-essential-points-about-cannabis-juicing

5 Essential Points About Cannabis Juicing

Green Flower Media

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBg3MIwACSg[/ame]

You might have heard about juicing as it has been gaining more and more popularity and attention over the past couple years. I started juicing several years ago and found it be a great way of getting more nutrients into the body quickly. It works as a natural cleanse, keeps me super healthy, gives me energy and helps me keep my weight down.

If you’re not familiar with the benefits of juicing, it basically allows you to concentrate all the nutrients of the plant into a condensed liquid full of more beneficial nutrients and vitamins than you would eat in one sitting. And the actual juicing process aides digestion for you by breaking down the food and removing the fiber, so your body can absorb the nutrients more quickly and easily.

Dr. William Courtney, who specializes in dietary uses of cannabis, has been studying juicing cannabis in its raw form for several years and has treated over 7,000 patients with this method. He says that cannabis is the most important vegetable on our planet because of its ability to boost the immune system, act as an anti-inflammatory, improve bone metabolism and boost neural function.

It’s loaded with antioxidants, it’s a complete protein, and it provides the perfect balance of omega 3’s and 6’s. Dr. Courtney suggests that in its raw form cannabis should be treated as an essential dietary supplement because it helps all 210 cell types function more effectively and it can work as a preventative for many of the diseases that cannabis is used to actually treat.

So here are 5 Things You Need To Know About Juicing Cannabis:

#1) Cannabinoid Difference in Juicing

The first thing you should know is that when juicing cannabis you don’t experience any of the psychoactive high effects. The reason for this is that cannabis in its raw form does not have the psychoactive cannabinoid THC in it; instead it has the acid form which is THC-A. It is only when you add THC-A to heat that you get the cannabinoid THC.

Because there is no psychoactive effect with juicing, you are able to consume much larger doses of this nutrient-rich plant, which helps you get more of the healthy cannabinoids into your system. Plus if your plant has high doses of CBD in its genetics, then you’ll also have high percentages of CBD-A, which is the acid form of CBD before it’s heated.

#2) Harvesting

When juicing cannabis you always want to use freshly harvested leaves, trim and flower. From the time you harvest, the plant material will start breaking down and losing some of its beneficial enzymes. In fact I have found that after I pick my cannabis leaves within 15 minutes I see them start to wilt, so for this reason you will want to harvest your plant and then immediately go and juice it.

You can juice the leaves and the flower or buds. The stem, however, is quite fibrous and can clog up your juicer if you try to juice it.The best time to harvest your cannabis is when the plants are flowering, and some people feel the third week of flowering is the most ideal. When selecting your buds for juicing you will want the THC glands (also known as trichomes) to be clear as opposed to amber.

Dr. Courtney recommends when possible to take a daily cannabis juicing dose of 15 leaves, and 2 large buds or flowers per day – a large size would be about 2-4” in length. But if you don’t have any fresh buds to juice, then the leaves will work just as well. A lot of people actually prefer to save their buds for other forms of consumption.Mandee harvesting cannabis leaves outside

One of the biggest challenges with juicing is how much plant material it requires.

#3) The Device and Technique

You will want to use a wheat grass juicer to make your cannabis juice, which is a machine that is better for juicing more fibrous material so that the juicer does not get clogged.Also the slower the juicer is, the more efficient it tends to be because it is getting every ounce of nutrients out of the plant versus quickly passing the plant through and missing out on some of the material that can still be juiced. Additionally, when the juicer moves faster it adds oxygen to the juice which immediately degrades the juice and will also make it too foamy.

I recommend getting an electric juicer and not a hand crank machine because it takes A LOT of leaves to make a small amount of juice and your arm will get tired.

Mandee juicing fresh cannabis leaves
If you are a health enthusiast, an electric juicer is a great investment – with or without cannabis!

Here are two additional tips for you in regards to technique: if you put the wheat grass pulp that you already juiced, back through the juicer again, you will get a little bit more juice out of it. Since it takes so much cannabis to create a small amount of juice every bit helps.

cannabis leaves before and after juicing
Soaking the cannabis leaves beforehand and juicing them twice will give you the biggest bang for your buck.

Second is that if you soak your cannabis leaves in cold water for five minutes before juicing, it will open up the pores of the plant and make it easier to juice. But don’t soak the buds otherwise you’ll compromise those precious trichomes.

#4) Consuming and StoringWhen I consume cannabis juice it tastes fresh, vibrant and feels full of energy. I don’t mind the taste at all – it reminds of taking a wheat grass shot. If you haven’t had a wheat grass shot it kind of tastes like freshly mowed grass but with a nice sweet and spicy finishing taste.

But the taste is not for everyone, so you have some additional options. You can add some water or coconut water to it to dilute it, or you can mix some other veggie juice in there like cucumber or carrot to blend out the flavor. When doing this the juice will be most beneficial and taste better consumed immediately.

But what about storing the cannabis juice? Some people will say it can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container for at least three days. But does that work if you’ve already mixed with a few other ingredients? According to physician Dr. Dustin Sulak, “When cannabinoids are left in watery solutions like tea or juice, they precipitate out of the solution and stick to the sides of the container over a short time. One study found levels of THC in cannabis tea decreased 40 percent in 24 hours of storage in the fridge.”

So I found that the best thing to do is to make that cannabis juice into ice cubes stored in your freezer. There are different opinions on how long it lasts in the freezer anywhere from one month to six months, but either way will greatly extend the life of your cannabis juice.

Then you can add a couple ice cubes into smoothies when you're looking for your daily dose. I don’t taste the flavor of the cannabis almost at all this way and Cannabinoids and Terpenes are fat soluble so when you mix it with something fatty, like yogurt, coffee creamer or coconut oil, it reduces the risk of the cannabinoids sticking to the sides of the container and it helps with GI absorption.

making cannabis juice ice cubes
Cannabis juice ice cubes are a smart way to store this precious commodity. Keep them in the freezer no longer than one month just to be safe.

#5) Supply
Most dispensaries are not able to offer cannabis trim to patients as of now. So the best thing to do if you are interested in juicing cannabis is to talk with a local grower if you know one and ask if you can use their trim.

Many growers are mostly concerned with the flowers or bud and the trim actually ends up getting wasted. So there is a great chance that they might be willing to let you have the trim for juicing. If you go this route you will want to make sure that the cannabis trim you are getting is organic and does not have any pesticides on it.

Otherwise, if you are in a state where it is legal to grow cannabis if you're a patient with a medical marijuana recommendation then growing your own may be your best bet.

freshly harvested cannabis leaves
Growing your own cannabis comes with a learning curve – and a ton of benefits such as juicing.

Is Cannabis Juicing for You?It’s important to know that the effects of juicing cannabis are not instantaneous, like when you ingest heated cannabis. I would think of it more like taking a supplement; it can take a few weeks before your body starts to feel a shift.

If this is something you might want to try and you currently have a serious medical condition or are taking prescription drugs, I encourage you to talk with a medical provider about using raw cannabis juice to help treat your specific symptoms. There are certain people who might not be the best candidates for juicing with cannabis, such as people with kidney or gallbladder issues or Hypercalciuria or anyone that is on blood thinner medications.

Published on Sep 1, 2016

http://www.learngreenflower.com -- Cannabis juicing is an incredibly health practice, which will you give you a ton of vitamins, nutrients, and raw cannabinoids.

If you're interested in cannabis juicing, you've come to the right video!

Try This is an education show all about cannabis and cannabis products. Every week, we share with you, how-to videos, product reviews and more, to help you get the most value from our favorite plant.

Please subscribe!

Follow Mandee Lee behind the scenes here:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mandeeleesha...
Massroots: https://massroots.com/user/mandeelee

Learn cannabis: http://learngreenflower.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/greenflowerm...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/greenflwrmedia
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/greenflower...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back