818 headband a.k.a Sour OG 2000w RDWC. First grow!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grodude

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Welcome to my grow!

This has been one hell of a ride so far and I haven’t even started growing yet. I was expecting to have everything ready to go a month ago, but a combination of unanticipated obstacles as well as procrastination due to fear of ruining something have kept me from starting a journal and growing until now. I would love input from those of you that have the experience and if you see me making a mistake I would greatly appreciate you all let me know. I am hoping to keep this grow as simple as possible so please keep that in mind when offering advice.

After much going back and forth I decided to start with 818 headband feminized seeds a.k.a sour og. The setup they will be in:

9x5 Gorilla grow tent - This was pricier than I liked to pay, but it did seem to have a few advantages. I really like how I can get the height up to 10 feet or so and any other tent is 7 feet maximum; however, this grow that will not benefit me as I will be scrogging and keeping the plant short. For this reason the extension is not being used and I have a height of 6’7. I do have some buyers remorse, I will soon learn if this tent is worth the additional $350 or so.
2 x 1000w HID lights - That’s almost 45w per square foot. I am using the T8 Lights of America fixture for the seedling stage. When I transplant them to their final destination I will turn the MH lights down to 50% and bring them closer to the plants and as the plants grow I will gradually increase to 100% and raise them.
Active Air 720 CFM 8” fan - I also have a generic carbon filter and silencer attached to it. Barely makes any noise and the suction on the tent seems to be very minimal. I almost have a Mercury 4 titan control that I may use (I don’t understand how setting the bottom half with the day/night and idle times work).
¼ HP EcoPlus Chiller.
Nutrients - General Hydroponics 3-part. I have calmag for flower; I am using RO water.
Meters - Oakton EcoTestr ph2. HM Digital AP-1 TDS meter. Purchased with calibration solution.
Pumps - EcoPlus 1000 GPH inline pump. EcoPlus 396 GPH Submersible pump (for chiller). 112 watt 110 LPM air pump.
The system - 6-site UC RDWC setup
6 x 10-gallon totes
1” rubber flow lines with ¾” return lines (later told flow should be double return. Next time).
4 x 6” net pots and 2 x 10” net pots (bought 4 and found the 10” were cheaper)
4 x 8” Hydrofarm air stones. 1 x 8” generic air stone. 1 x 12” generic air stone.
1 x 27-gallon tote for control reservoir. There is a pvc pipe connected to the return tube with holes in it to slow down the flow. Also have ¼” float valve connected to main 27-gallon reservoir.

I’m going to germinate the seeds in rapid rooters (any day now. maybe today?!), then move them into a cloner I made (maybe. I may just put the 6 rapid rooters in a small tray and move them to their final destination when the roots get big enough). Here are some pics:

View attachment SAM_1573.jpg

View attachment SAM_1574.jpg

View attachment SAM_1575.jpg

View attachment SAM_1576.jpg

View attachment SAM_1577.jpg

View attachment SAM_1578.jpg

View attachment SAM_1579.jpg

View attachment SAM_1580.jpg

View attachment SAM_1583.jpg

View attachment SAM_1584.jpg

View attachment SAM_1581.jpg

View attachment SAM_1582.jpg

Yehaaaa,,getter done. Green mojo.

Wow, what a great looking setup. Looking forward to watching your grow.

great setup man... only question is doesn't Cali Connection have a strain called SourOG? did it change to the 818 Headband? :48:

I love the size of that tent . I wouldn't of bought it cause I'm cheap but you do have a very high end tent. Welcome to MP positive vibes bro.

Thanks everyone for stopping by. Just waiting patiently (anxiously) for something to happen

I only bought 6 seeds and not all of them germinated so I am deciding on what to do now. Will be back soon to update

Looks like my headband seeds turned into Blue Dream clones; how crazy is that!? I will transplant them today

I laughed quite a lot at this! :rofl: :aok:

My system does not seem to be circulating at a proper speed and I was hoping some of the more experienced rdwcers could give their input. The 1000 GPH pump seemed to be way too fast because the return flow was faster than the flow out of the control reservoir. I added a pvc pipe and put holes in it to slow down the stream (pictures above), but water doesn't seem to be circulation well. The pH is different when I check it in the reservoir vs the individual buckets.

View attachment 20150426_152455.jpg

You have RISES on your in and out.. they need to be LEVEL with your control bucket. This is the exact same issue I had with my setup, which was 3/4" line. I thought "oh my line wasn't big enough, so next time I'll make them bigger" ... but it looks like you're using 1" or larger and still having issues.

When water is circulating around it doesn't want to rise and fall through the air vents, that messed the flow ALL up.

Someone told me to cut my tent to fix it.. I laughed lol. Can you get your control bucket in that room? Looks like maybe not.

You have RISES on your in and out.. they need to be LEVEL with your control bucket. This is the exact same issue I had with my setup, which was 3/4" line. I thought "oh my line wasn't big enough, so next time I'll make them bigger" ... but it looks like you're using 1" or larger and still having issues.

When water is circulating around it doesn't want to rise and fall through the air vents, that messed the flow ALL up.

Someone told me to cut my tent to fix it.. I laughed lol. Can you get your control bucket in that room? Looks like maybe not.

That makes sense. I tried to avoid that because I didn't think it would cause this much trouble, but I may buy new buckets and make new holes. Fortunately the the top half with the lids wont need any extra work. I may actually be able to move teh reservoir into the tent, but I may have to use the same size bucket that I'm using for my plants since it's smaller and use the larger 32-gallon tote as a top-off reservoir.

Thanks for your advice, I will give that a try.

I tried to avoid that because I didn't think it would cause this much trouble

You have no idea the POWER of 1" vertical and water :D

I learned the hard way.. you're learning too. We'll sort this! :)

Latest posts

Back