A little confused on lighting...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolly12345

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm new to your forum here, and to growing in general. I have not begun growing anything yet; I'm still trying to educate myself on what to do. I've been reading through all the threads I can find, but haven't seen an answer to this one:

I have (2) 6500K cool-white CFLs. The packaging claims each replace a 100W bulb but only use 25W apiece. I'm planning to use them for 1-2 plants, would this mean I've got a total of 200W or just 50W? The pkg says the output of each is 1471 lumens of what they call a "natural spectrum light".

Any insight into this, and any help in general is greatly appreciated!

It would mean that you have 50 watts of total power. This would only really be good enough for about a 1 x 1 foot area.

How big is your growing area?

massproducer said:
It would mean that you have 50 watts of total power. This would only really be good enough for about a 1 x 1 foot area.

How big is your growing area?

Thank you for the fast reply. I haven't really decided on total area as I'm still trying to learn what the heck I'm doing. I'm only interested in growing for myself, so the smaller the better, I would imagine. Would a 1 sq ft area be large enough for 1 or 2 plants?

I have these CFLs in a bell-shaped reflector with a "Y" splitter to plug them both into the same socket. If I were to get another 2 bulbs,etc. would this be adequate for, say, a 2x2 sq ft area?

Thanks again! This forum is fascinating and definitely a source of quality info.

if you were to get 2-3 of those same bulbs then yes... you would be at the minimium amount of lumens but yes. IMHO, it would be best to do a scrog or screen of green. Just do a goggle search of (SCROG Cannabis) and do some research.

massproducer,

The SOG or SCROG is exactly what I'd planned to do. Thanks again for the info and quick answers.

anytime thats why we are all here, to exchange info and help each other.

Keep us posted

massproducer said:
anytime thats why we are all here, to exchange info and help each other.

Keep us posted

Thank you, as soon as I really get going I will let you all know!

Oops, I just saw the answer to this in the GrowFAQ in the lighting forum (now how did I miss that?)

Mods, please move this thread if you think it should be.

Cheers, all.

Latest posts

Back