A question about cloning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geekzilla

Magnificentia Tertii
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure this belongs in this section... Forgive me if I'm mistaken <(^.^)>

I've read that cloning requires leaching (which I've never had to do) but as far as I know... leaching is washing.... everything from the soil(?) Which I would think would be done on potted plants (via the hole in the bottom). But the plant I'm wanting is grounded, the article doesn't specify weather this is for potted or grounded plants... at any rate it says to: "Leach the soil with water, at a rate of 1 gallon water per 5 gallons of soil, once a day for 5 days prior to cloning". Which now that I think about it... I suppose that would be enough water to filter anything through the ground huh... haha But I ramble... my questions are this:

1. Is it necessary to leach prior to attempting to clone?
2. Are the aforementioned instructions the proper leaching for grounded plants? (more specifically American Wisteria)
3. Is it likely that a plant will root without the use of a root hormone? (I figure since wisteria seems to me, to be an extremely hearty plant it would be just fine)

Thank You in advance for any help.

Geekzilla said:
I'm not entirely sure this belongs in this section... Forgive me if I'm mistaken <(^.^)>

I've read that cloning requires leaching (which I've never had to do) but as far as I know... leaching is washing.... everything from the soil(?) Which I would think would be done on potted plants (via the hole in the bottom). But the plant I'm wanting is grounded, the article doesn't specify weather this is for potted or grounded plants... at any rate it says to: "Leach the soil with water, at a rate of 1 gallon water per 5 gallons of soil, once a day for 5 days prior to cloning". Which now that I think about it... I suppose that would be enough water to filter anything through the ground huh... haha But I ramble... my questions are this:

1. Is it necessary to leach prior to attempting to clone?
2. Are the aforementioned instructions the proper leaching for grounded plants? (more specifically American Wisteria)
3. Is it likely that a plant will root without the use of a root hormone? (I figure since wisteria seems to me, to be an extremely hearty plant it would be just fine)

Thank You in advance for any help.

1. I have never "leached" soil or medium prior to cloning.
2. I don't know anything about American Wisteria. Isn't it a vine?
3. A rooting compound speeds up rooting and means a higher success rate.

GanjaGuru said:
3. A rooting compound speeds up rooting and means a higher success rate.
Do you think it would be likely that it would root without using a hormone though? Not just wisteria but any plant really... I suppose I could just try and find out...

Anyone else have good results w/o using a rooting hormone?

P.S-Ummm thanks to whoever moved this for me.... I think. Although it's not specifically about MJ Cultivation <(^.^)>

Cloning without a rooting hormone is definately a good possiblility. Your success rate may not be "as" good, but it is done all the time. Hell, I didn't know there was such a thing untill a few years back.

...posted in Hick's Signature rather said:
Some people are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face
when you push them down a flight of stairs.
BWAHAHA That's funny!!!!

Thanks for the reassurance. Especially in the case of wisteria ,which can take up to 10 years before it flowers, it just wouldn't do to have to start from seed. Although it's going to be used for bonsai.... which for a good bonsai can be 10+ years anyway haha... still, that's a pretty good while to have to wait.

According to Jorge Cervantes, leaching the soil will promote carbohydrate buildup in the plants...the carbohydrates are stored energy that can be used by the cutting while roots are growing and little to no nute uptake can occur

Ive cloned in straight water..lol..but do recomend a rooting hormone..also Im haveing good success with the massproduccer bubble cloner..thanks for shareing..KEEP M GREEN

You do not need to use a hormone to clone build your self a bubbler and use strait water.

Here are the instructions and part list

1. small plastic folgers coffee can w/lid
2. one of those foam pads you kneel on for gardening
3. fish air pump
4. air hose
5. air stone

cut a 1 - 1 1/4" circle hole in the coffee can lid. Cut the foam pad to the same size circle as the hole in the lid (you want a snug fit). cut a slit in the foam circle to the center (to get the cutting in and out of the foam without damaging the roots). Cut a hole the size of the air hose in the side near the top. Run hose from from pump to stone inside can. Fill with water. Take cutting and insert it into the slit that you cut in the foam circle. Make sure the cutting is long enough to reach the water. Insert the foam circle into the hole in the lid and put the lid on the can and plug in the pump. The air bubbles will super oxygenate the water. Make sure you keep an eye on the water level, the cutting must always be in the water.and make sure your PH is good. Marijuana Will root in ten days with this method if the plant is touchy you can add some supper thrive.

Hope this helps
Peace ~Madman~

I agree Andy people should experiment with different methods and stick with the one the works best for them. This bubbler works real good for me.

Motor City Madman said:
You do not need to use a hormone to clone build your self a bubbler and use strait water.

Here are the instructions and part list

1. small plastic folgers coffee can w/lid
3. fish air pump
4. air hose
5. air stone

cut a 1 - 1 1/4" circle hole in the coffee can lid. Cut the foam pad to the same size circle as the hole in the lid (you want a snug fit). cut a slit in the foam circle to the center (to get the cutting in and out of the foam without damaging the roots). Cut a hole the size of the air hose in the side near the top. Run hose from from pump to stone inside can. Fill with water. Take cutting and insert it into the slit that you cut in the foam circle. Make sure the cutting is long enough to reach the water. Insert the foam circle into the hole in the lid and put the lid on the can and plug in the pump. The air bubbles will super oxygenate the water. Make sure you keep an eye on the water level, the cutting must always be in the water.and make sure your PH is good. Marijuana Will root in ten days with this method if the plant is touchy you can add some supper thrive.

Hope this helps
Peace ~Madman~

Hey thanks, that's a great idea. The foam pads are made from "closed cell foam" It's just foam that will not soak up water sometimes used in boating to make seats or whatever. It's easy to find on ebay last I checked, just my 2 cents!

Root riot cubes, clonex gel, propergator, 18/6 light cycle, 7-12 days = 100% succes with clones, not lost one yet ;)

I have never leeched or flushed my plants prior to cloning, do not believe it is nessecery.
Rooting hormone is great, used it when I first started.
I just like to use the good ol DIY bubble cloner. Just water... good success rate.

Actually i do total oposite lol, normally mother sits on pretty low nute solution as she doin nuthin but when it comin up to cloning time i build the nutes back up, i believe this then stores more nutes in her leaves thus meaning when you take a cutting it already got a food reserve built in.
It was a tip that i was given and it sure works for me.

I believe the article you read is about leaching is talking about your Mother Plant, and if so, it makes sense.

By leaching the Mom before cutting on her, you are taking away nuits from the Mom. The main thing you are shooting for is "leaching" the Nitrogen from the mother plant. The more N in a Mother, the longer it will take for the "cutting" to root. If you starve your Mom of nuits, specifically N, they will indeed root faster.

Science or not my own HANDS ON experience tells me to do opposite and they root in 7-12 days, i wouldn't say thats a long time and neither would anyone else if they been honest

I remember when trying to get a grape to root (without hormones), I put the "start" of the vine where cut at a node, (putting 2 nodes under the sand, roots formed at both nodes) into sterile sand and is it called vermiculite? (the stuff that holds water...cant think of the name). I kept the sand wet as best I could and covered to keep it dark, the exposing part of the vine above the covering. This method might work for you as you are working with a vine. It worked for me, when it had roots shown in the sand, I transplanted the whole thing with the sand and "stuff".

Newbud said:
Science or not my own HANDS ON experience tells me to do opposite and they root in 7-12 days, i wouldn't say thats a long time and neither would anyone else if they been honest

Noone is saying your way is wrong man.

I actually do not leach my moms either, usually. I read your cloning guide, and it looks great. I take my clones very similar.
But, taking clones and having sucess doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. Truly understanding WHY you are doing the steps you take in your guide is key.

I personally take quite a few cuttings, so "optimizing" cloning is a little difficult. I choose to do pretty much what you do Newbud, and I too get roots in7-14days.

But if you do Leach your Mom, and take smaller stemed cuttings, you will get roots in 7 days.

I see you mentioned taking lower cuttings from the moms. This is Optimum. Not because of the reasons you put,but because an optimum cutting is 1/8" stem. Lower branchees tend to fit this measurement well.
Thicker stalks take longer.
The lower branches being deprived of light does not make the cut root faster.
Also, less nuit, especially N, will encourage faster root formation also, proven fact.

Now Newbud, don't get me wrong bro, I am just tryin' to explain the "why's" of cloning. Cloning unto itself is fairly easy. You can root in MANY methods and MANY mediums. There is no "Correct" way. tho some ways are definatly better, imo. As I said, I basically take cuts like you.

Bottom line, whatever is working for you, stick with it. The KEY to cloning is TIMING. Knowing how long it usually takes you to get rooted clones, and when you are going to need them to refill your flower room, that is the trick. Weather or not it takes 7 days or 21 days, just knowing and planning is key.

Latest posts

Back