A quick question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas 11111

Green Mojo To All
Reaction score
Anyone who has looked at my grow journal can tell I have had a really rough first grow. I have one female who is 1 week into flowering. My question is: Can I clones the bottom branches that aren't really going to amount to much and veg them for a week to ten days and then flower them in hopes of getting more off them that way.:confused2:

Yes and No, It will be a new grow for you! You should of took the cuttings a couple weeks ago or the day you switched the lights. You can take cuttings now but the sooner the better. For each day they change to flowering it will take longer to get them rooted. The time line for you is not what your thinking!...10-20days to get roots, Another 20 days veg and then 60-80 dys flower. You cant take clones from a flowering plant and think that it is going to be a fast process. Maybe you should buy some at a club to help get your grow on!

BudLover#69 said:
Yes and No, It will be a new grow for you! You should of took the cuttings a couple weeks ago or the day you switched the lights. You can take cuttings now but the sooner the better. For each day they change to flowering it will take longer to get them rooted. The time line for you is not what your thinking!...10-20days to get roots, Another 20 days veg and then 60-80 dys flower. You cant take clones from a flowering plant and think that it is going to be a fast process. Maybe you should buy some at a club to help get your grow on!

Kinda. Since the plant is flowering, it's hopefully mature by now. If he takes cuttings, they throw roots in 10-15 or so, they require no veg time, just straight 12/12. Some little clones will yield more than others. But it's important if you do it this way you are maximizing the amount of rooted clones being put straight into 12/12. If you only take a couple and these flower next to larger plants, it's just a waste. Really, you should just be taking a bunch to fit the whole space of light you have and they all are tightly packed in to yield a good gram per watt average. Otherwise the light is just too far away to really benefit you on terms of yield. Be fore warned, this method is addictive because you will basically have more harvests per year, which is good, but it means taking alot of cuttings each time. That magic 99 number becomes hard stay under when you only grow, clones straight to 12/12.

LOL,,Thats crazy dude! Sounds nuts but sounds like it would work too. But this guy only has ONE little plant to take cuttings from. It is already a week into flower and this is his first grow. His success rate on clones is going to be poor most likely and will take 20days min. With that said in his situation My opinion is he would do better to VEG the Cuttings he gets rooted and call it his second grow. Take the cuttings sooner next time and keep going/learning. I get what your saying this is just opinion.

A gram per watt would be Awsome though! I don't get that much! lol wish I did.

you can always raise the clones to be closer to the light.

I did precisely what you are asking about as an experiment a few weeks ago, just to see how it went.
I took cuttings one week into flower, they rooted faster than my regular cuts, maybe because I took larger cuttings than usual. They rooted after a week, I gave them 1 week veg time, which was really a waste since they did not grow in that time, just became more established and they are now on their 5th week of flower.
I have them raised to give me an even canopy and they are coming along ok.
The issues are:- The effect on the donor plant, does it slow flowering? I can't really say but the flowering/bud development on the donor plant does not appear to be any different from another plant of the same strain that is the same length of time in flower.
Reveging time. Does the cutting go back to 24/0 then back to 12/12. Again, I cannot say but I intend to try a batch taken 1 week into flower with no veg and rooting at 18/6 in an attempt to prevent the plants "body clock" being stressed too much. I wouldnt think it will make much difference but it is something I want to try out.

I have not seen your gj Thomas but it can be done and if the plant you have is in a bad way, dont forget, the cutting will be in a bad way too! Having said that, if you feel the yield will be very low, my thoughts are, what do you have to loose by experimenting and giving it a try. All I would say is follow NorCalHal's cloning guide http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33009 here, it may save you some heartache.

green mojo and good luck with it. W

Im with Budlover on this one. I say take a few cuttings, then veg for 30 days and as soon as you harvest that first plant just slide your clones into the flower room. Or if you have the room introduce the clones to flower room before the first one is finished.

Cut the wimpy branches and throw them the hell in the trash can--the resources will go to the upper buds. Suffer no popcorn--it's a waste of energy, money and time.

I would also give the clones some veg time. Clones thrown right into 12/12 are most likely only going to yield a few grams anyway.

Thanks alot for the quick response. I really appreciate it. I had thought about doing this as a test simply because I have had such a crappy 1st grow and thought what the heck. I have ordered some autos that I thought would be a little better for my small area and also got a couple of seeds free with my order. Thanks attitude. I clicked on the banner at the top of the page cuz I read in a post by Hick that some proceeds go to this site. One of the seeds I will receive free is northern lights. I hope that one goes good cuz I have smoked that strain before and got super crispy. Thanks again everyone! You are great!!:lama:

P.S. I also received a big bag of seeds from a friend. Over a hundred to practice and make my mistakes on. After the autos I will start with them. I will get the hang of it. I finally have everything I need. I've got my nutes, my calmag , and alot more knowledge thanks to you all. I really want to sincerely thank each and every one of you :48:

Latest posts

Back