A stupid question but a real one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teajay101

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not only new to this sight but new to smoking and growing as well. Got started when my wife was dying from cancer and found that weed helped ease her pain somewhat. Anyway, with the cost of buying weed getting so high, and being on a fixed income, I decided to try to grow some for myself. All the info I can find says to eliminate the male plants from your grow area. So, my stupid question is, do the male plants NOT produce thc? I know you don't want them pollenating your females but can they not be used themselves? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all for a great site!

they are useless, the best thing they are good for is compost.

The females are what you desire....... all the males want to do to your girls is___________ your girls up. It was some what emotional the first time I choped up the boys in my garden.

Sorry to hear of your loss teajay101 but as others have said unless you want seeds males are no good in your flower room as just the slightest open pod can pollinate your whole lot of females.
Anything i can do to help ya on ya way just ask dude.
T4

Throw away the males. Unfortunately, often times the males are the prettiest plants in the garden; but they must be gotten rid of.

Hi am new in this forum...welcome to all other old member...I want to introduce myself here at your portal. I like this place very much so I want to join it for more info
I look forwards to being a active memeber.

Irish said:
unless of course it's white widow.:doh: i hear even the leaves on those will fuel a nasa rocket. :p ...
:hitchair: :hitchair: :hitchair: :hitchair: :hitchair: :hitchair: :hitchair: :hitchair:

I want to thank everyone for your replies. It's great to get so much good info without being treated as a complete idiot like I've found to be the case on other sites! Alas, I did rid myself of the boys. I gave them a proper disposal. Lol. Thanks to for the links to get some more info. I really appreciate everyones help!:p

Sorry to hear about your wife teajay :( I am in the same situation as you. I have very limited funds, but I'll be damned if I let that stop me. I don't have cancer, but I do have chronic pain in my left leg from a previous break. And I can attest that weed does help with the pain. It's better than Ibuprofen. Besides, I'd rather smoke something natural as opposed to taking something that could cause stomach ulcers and bleeding. It is sad when you have to part with your males. They are the best looking ones, sometimes. But they will mess your female crop the he** up.

First off I just want to say sorry to hear about your wife. All I can really say about the matter is this.
Males make pollen sacks, pollenate female flowers(buds) to make seeds. Seeded MJ will still have plenty of THC but tons of seeds obviously and wont be as strong as it could be. However who has ever said this stuff has seeds and it doesnt work. The bud will still be good but it will has tons of seeds. For you this means two things, if you allow you rplants to pollenate your bud wont be as great and it will need to be picked through. BUT you will have tons of highly fertile seeds just waiting to be used. FREE. You never need to buy clones or a bag or seeds again. You could simply take a male when the pollen sacks open take a qtip touch it to the sacks and touch it to the pistil on your females to control how much of the plant seeds. This is up to you and your comfort zone.

However the males do have a very low amount of THC less than 1% I think. However thats still THC and it still has medicinal quality. Cook it all down into some Cannabutter. Look up the recipes. Some will say not to its not worth it ultimately its up to you.

Grow nothing but females with medicinal quality bud.
Grow females and males, get mid grade bud, plus a supply of seeds for next time.
Grow females and males, but keep spearate, pollenate females on some of the bud sites like the little buds on the lower branches. And then chop the males when they are done and get that BUDDA!

Then you and your wife can bake and well bake and then have some great cookies. Ingested THC is much stronger and of longer duration than smoked anyway. More medicinal.

Latest posts

Back