A Talk about "Hippies"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FinShaggy

Reaction score
Alright. So I want to start off with the past, but PLEASE don't cling to this part. It is a very small part of what I have to say. A "Hippie" in the past was just someone that was within the culture. They didn't necessarily believe in the ideas that were taking hold. A person considered a hippy may have believe in the ideas. But not every single one did. Some even now say, "I was just really high, trying to have fun, and being stupid." But, that's because that individual WAS "Really high trying to have fun and being stupid" And that individual was not thinking ANY deeper than that. So even in the past the term "Hippie" was not the best word, not to say that there was a best word. There was just words, not "good" words to describe everything well.
There were Yippies, Hippies, Stoners, tweakers, Acid heads, and more words lost to history. But a lot of these words are used interchangeably today.

These words are not interchangable. These people may do similar things, and may have similar ideas. But they are all different things.

"Hippy" is used and was used very generally. Someone who wears peace signs a lot. or someone who simply has long hair, or smokes a lot of weed. A cop can smoke a lot of weed.

The MAIN question I want to ask is...

What The **** is the deal with EVERYONE thinking Hippies are driving around in prius's, and other little ***** cars?

People call me a Hippy. White people say I look like Jesus, Mexicans say I look like Shaggy, Black people say I look like young Snoop. I don't like being called a hippy. But I look like I look, and my clothing option doesn't help, but I'm not walking around in tie die or peace signs. So a long haired stoner is a hippy?

I want Three Vehicles:
A little boat, for travel (maybe upgrade eventually)
A Bus (Like semi modern school bus)
And an old Cady Deville

So I just want to let everyone know. There's more than just "Hippies". And even if noone cares that there are more things, PLEASE stop generalizing it as in the arena with someone who's going to gloat over you because they recycle and drive a prius.

It's about being "Real", and being able to handle yourself in real situations, and think in ways you can apply to the real world. Not following an old label.

i wore that title proudly when i was a "kid"...I would wear it proudly today. To me it means nothing about what you drive...the opposite really. If you were a hippy in the day, you didn't have anything to drive. Maybe a friend w/ a VW. In my world it means a way of thinking about people and our earth, not about a car. just my old hippy thinking. Peace man.

Reactions: FUM
But "Hippie" is almost like saying "groupie" there was Timothy Leary, Ken Kesey, The Merry Pranksters, The Up Against The Wall and lots more.

Hippies were a mixture of people following the culture these people were a part of. Like they were ALL a part of it. But in different ways.

And yeah, it's about thinking and action, not cars. But things are different today.

Brosef you might want to checkout the site rules....Hick is gonna blow a gasket with all those curse words being posted.

how did you get away with all those curse words---every time i try to cuss i get an electric shock---

so---you call yourself a hippy---IMO---hippy is a state of mind---it's each and every individuals state of mind---Peace---free love---sex, drugs, rock and roll---these terms have all been associated with hippys of past---the modern day hippy has evolved---

in my world---the hippy is One with mother earth---don't care if you walk, drive a bicycle, get a lift with a friend, or drive a prius---so long as you give back more than you take---

there certainly are worse roll models the younger generation might choose to follow than the hippy---really no different than being a good human being to the rest of the peeps you share this suspended floating marble with---

:48: :48:

There was only one cuss word in the original post and it didn't actually post it. It went ****. And there was only one more in a reply I posted. But that was the name of a group. Not really cussing, it's the name of something. How do you talk about them without using their name?

I don't call myself a Hippie. Other people do.

My point is that the Hippie isn't the role model. The Hippie is already following something else.

cuss words part of a name or not do not show up when i type them---i would be honored if someone thought i might be a hippy---sorry you see a hippy in a negative light---IMO it is not a derogatory term---but---one of endearment and love---someone who is centered---has a legit opinion of their own---marches to their own drummer---usually thinks of others before them self---no shame being called a hippy man

I don't see it in a negative light. How is a Groupie a bad thing? It's not the band, but it's not a problem. And I said other people see "Hippies" as conceded prius drivers. Not me.

Dang Hippies...allways woried about what others think and do.
Get a haircut.

There's not enough free love and rolling around naked in mud pits at concerts now adays :rofl: :peace:

Yeah. But it's about more than just the concerts.
There's not enough "real" thinking or realization on a global scale, period.
The middle east is starting to realize stuff. But still that's not enough.

I just got back from Mendo and the Hippies are in full force.
All fun and games till you see "hippies" riding around on Dirtbikes with AR's slung across thier backs protecting "The Road".
I was "conversing" with a hot young thang who informed me that she was a Gypsy, not a hippy.
What's the difference I asked, she told me Hippies don't take showers on the reg and wear G-Strings.
I love me a gypsy.

That's funny. Not really too big a difference in her mind. Or maybe she considered that a big difference. I don't know.

I think of hippie males as bums and cowards.
Feminine little pansies who whine and complain. While real men are out putting boot to throat, fist to face earning those crybabies the right to do so.
(not you rose, your a female)

I served my country. Through wartime.
I dont whine, I dont complain. I drive around getting 12mpg, throwing Styrofoam containers out the window, and farting in elevators cause I earned my right by being an a** kickin American to do so.

Haha, yeah NCH. The 'camo clad, riding into town on dirt bikes' "Hippies" up in Arcata aren't exactly peace love and rock n roll. :rofl: mmmmm, if by her definition with those differences, I'd be all over a good looking gypsy :hubba:

ston-loc said:
There's not enough free love and rolling around naked in mud pits at concerts now adays :rofl: :peace:

I guess you never been to roo :)

I remember some "free love" back in 1987 that I required a shot of penicillin to get rid of.
:holysheep:

SPEARCHUCKER said:
I think of hippie males as bums and cowards.
Feminine little pansies who whine and complain. While real men are out putting boot to throat, fist to face earning those crybabies the right to do so.
(not you rose, your a female)

I served my country. Through wartime.
I dont whine, I dont complain. I drive around getting 12mpg, throwing Styrofoam containers out the window, and farting in elevators cause I earned my right by being an a** kickin American to do so.

This is an example of how many different ideas of "hippies" their are. That's why I'll talk to, chill, and smoke with people that want to call themselves hippies. But I'm not gonna go calling myself one.
Because when **** gets real, I always come out ok. And no one ever dies. Even if I'm the only person conscious in the situation, everything ends up ok.

I just think there is a difference between people who are "Real" and people who decide to put labels on themselves. Just do you, and be honorable about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back