A Time to Harvest?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How’s my 1st grow Looking?

• You rock!

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • You suck!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Volcano Buds

Reaction score
This is my 1st grow & it’s been a blast! I’m now into week 9 of flower & believe I’m real close to harvest, but I have doubts & don’t want to jump the gun. I have 2 plants, grown indoors with my own RDWC design utilizing both topping and Scrogging techniques. It’s a hybrid strain called Chemodo Dragon, a 60/40 Sativa dominant hybrid strain combining Chemdawg #4 & Gupta Kush.

They’re in a 3’ x 4’ tent with four 1000w LEDs (I started with 2 until mid-flower) and have a double vent set-up (1 in the tent & another just outside the tent in the same storeroom). I made a few rookie mistakes along the way, but I’m learning quickly. I had to sacrifice 2 hermaphrodites a few weeks into flower, because of an auto-timer error (the lights were turning on for 1 hour each night during dark period) For some reason, two survived and are thriving! Lots of colas, sticky as hell and they smell incredible!

I’m growing in my basement in Colorado, so it’s been fairly easy to keep cool, but I added a portable A/C for added protection and to help control humidity & water temps. I also have a 3’x 3’ veg tent in the same room for a perpetual grow & they’re now ready to flower. I feel like I’ve got a killer set-up now!

I’m posting several pics of my girls & 1 pic of my RDWC System and would appreciate any advice, but most importantly, are they ready for harvest? I already began the flush last week so if they’re not ready, what next???

Attachments

• 2B71F045-5C51-4754-8160-C5982E399DAD.png
    2B71F045-5C51-4754-8160-C5982E399DAD.png
    645.8 KB · Views: 225
  • B66E42F7-F458-4BC9-BE7C-F435A115E5DA.png
    B66E42F7-F458-4BC9-BE7C-F435A115E5DA.png
    576 KB · Views: 225
  • 70A740FA-6E8A-46A1-93E3-880CA0F7872B.png
    70A740FA-6E8A-46A1-93E3-880CA0F7872B.png
    615.8 KB · Views: 215
  • FCFFFAD4-D369-40F8-BF15-772E1A438F02.png
    FCFFFAD4-D369-40F8-BF15-772E1A438F02.png
    953.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 1B991DFF-B32C-44A2-A8AD-350C479C949F.png
    1B991DFF-B32C-44A2-A8AD-350C479C949F.png
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 219
  • 4B587CD2-68C4-4B65-837E-B0BFC80798D3.png
    4B587CD2-68C4-4B65-837E-B0BFC80798D3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 217
  • 4557F113-E28C-4119-A4E1-46CC66D73869.png
    4557F113-E28C-4119-A4E1-46CC66D73869.png
    617.3 KB · Views: 219
  • B20B1FA7-8726-4541-A344-81FCC618EADB.png
    B20B1FA7-8726-4541-A344-81FCC618EADB.png
    658.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 686868B5-8823-4EAD-A232-449095A9AA08.jpeg
    686868B5-8823-4EAD-A232-449095A9AA08.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 175
those look great vb! congratulations on your first grow.
personally, i'd wait a wee bit before harvesting, but there are others here much more experienced who could tell you for certain.

those look great vb! congratulations on your first grow.
personally, i'd wait a wee bit before harvesting, but there are others here much more experienced who could tell you for certain.
I’m in no rush and I agree it’s a bit early, so I’m re-adding nutes today for 1 more week, than I’ll Re-flush & harvest in 10-12 days. That will be nearly 11 weeks in flower phase, but regardless, the leaves have barely yellowed & the trichomes have little to no amber. I made a few mistakes along the way that likely slowed their progression.
Thanks for your input!

You are just going to guess as to when there are ready?!? A magnifier or loupe is an essential tool that needs to be in every growers equipment. If you do no have one, please do yourself a favor and get one before you harvest. Examining the trichs with at least 30x magnification is the only real way to know if the plants are ready.

Hi Hemp Goddess!
I really appreciate your advice as I’ve seen several of your other posts & your knowledge is quite impressive! I have a jewelers loop & a 30x microscope, but since it’s my 1st run I still needed an expert opinion because I am far from it!
I thought they still looked premature for harvest, but the timing is what threw me off. They’re now at 9 weeks into flower and based on my set-up (hi-flow RDWC + 4000w total LEDs), I thought for sure they’d be done by now, but I was also expecting to see more amber trichomes & yellow leaves by now. I already started the flush a week ago, but I’m adding nutes back this morning to complete the cycle. Thanks a lot for your input!

Welcome! Your plants are looking great, you have given them lots of TLC! Congratulation on the success so far! I also am new and have my first grow going. I think the newbie mistakes are there for a reason, so we can learn as I know I have made a few myself. I'll be following!

Welcome! Your plants are looking great, you have given them lots of TLC! Congratulation on the success so far! I also am new and have my first grow going. I think the newbie mistakes are there for a reason, so we can learn as I know I have made a few myself. I'll be following!
Thanks! I’m going another week or so til harvest & cant wait to see how they turn out! I’ve got a 2 tent perpetual harvest set up and my new batch is ready to flower, so the timing was perfect!
Are you using soil, cocoa or hydro?

Sounds like a good little setup! I have anther batch in my box, not ready yet, as I had a late start with them. I am currently growing in soil. It wasn't the best soil for my first however, its worked out well. I am working on a organic soil for my next grow mixing up my own super soil. This will leave me, hopefully, not having to use nutrients for my next grow ;-)

A lot of my stuff is DIY, including my tent however, its all working out well. I still have work to be done on my setup that I am hoping to have ready for the next batch when moving to flower

I wouldn't flush the plants. The main reason is because of your exact scenario. You have flushed your plant and now decided that it needs more time. So, ultimately, you have deprived your plant of food when it needs it most. I have found that I had better results with not flushing and just stop feeding them. If you do not flush, but only give them water the last week or 10 days, they generally use up all residual nutrients without the starving that happens when you flush them. In hydro, I would just top up the res with plain pH'd water.

Even though you have posted up some beautiful pics, they are still not close enough for us to tell if they are ready. This is probably something that you are going to have to decide for yourself after examination. I also think that it is okay to take a test bud and try it. While something that is "quick dried" is not going to have the taste and smell of a slow dried cured bud, it should give you an idea of the high you are gong to get. Remember that the more amber, the more couch lock it will be. I generally do not let my sativas go to amber, but harvest when trichs are mostly clear and cloudy. Indicas, I let go a bit longer to amber.

You might try it next time without the screen, as you are not really doing a scrog.

Congratulations! V B, they look so great, I will keep following and learning. I 'm also going to begin my first, but haven't decided which seed will be better for a beginner, do you guys have any advice? thank you.

bonza job VB , bud look nice and sticky I always run straight water for last 10 days make the buds taste a lot better and much smoother smoke , enjoy your harvest , hope you got some clones from them lovely ladies

I wouldn't flush the plants. The main reason is because of your exact scenario. You have flushed your plant and now decided that it needs more time. So, ultimately, you have deprived your plant of food when it needs it most. I have found that I had better results with not flushing and just stop feeding them. If you do not flush, but only give them water the last week or 10 days, they generally use up all residual nutrients without the starving that happens when you flush them. In hydro, I would just top up the res with plain pH'd water.

Even though you have posted up some beautiful pics, they are still not close enough for us to tell if they are ready. This is probably something that you are going to have to decide for yourself after examination. I also think that it is okay to take a test bud and try it. While something that is "quick dried" is not going to have the taste and smell of a slow dried cured bud, it should give you an idea of the high you are gong to get. Remember that the more amber, the more couch lock it will be. I generally do not let my sativas go to amber, but harvest when trichs are mostly clear and cloudy. Indicas, I let go a bit longer to amber.

You might try it next time without the screen, as you are not really doing a scrog.
HG,
Thanks! You raise some really good input about flushing and your right about the SCROG. I ordered those heavy duty screens early on Amazon, but I got hosed and they never came. I got a refund & re-ordered a second time, but by the time they arrived, I was 2 weeks behind my SCROG schedule and had to make due & raise the screen height by 4 inches so I didn’t destroy the mature plants. I was still able to control vertical growth which was essential because my tent is only 6ft tall. I added nutes back in this last Wednesday morning & the colas are freaking exploding in size now!

Congratulations! V B, they look so great, I will keep following and learning. I 'm also going to begin my first, but haven't decided which seed will be better for a beginner, do you guys have any advice? thank you.
Thanks Rich! As far as seeds go, I’m far from expert so hopefully the advanced members chime in. My 1st batch of seeds were a Sativa dominant hybrid called Chemodo Dragon I bought at a dispensary in Denver & I couldn’t be happier in the way they’re turning out! I started a new crop in my 2nd tent about 6 weeks ago for a perpetual grow and they’ve exploded and ready to switch over to flower. This batch is an Indica dominant strain called Krishna Kush. They’re in an Ebb & Flow in my smaller veg tent and almost out of room so I’m moving them to RDWC and SCROGGING this week...I’ll add a picture

Attachments

• 1A649FEB-B304-4B4D-B0A4-09A105952D20.png
    1A649FEB-B304-4B4D-B0A4-09A105952D20.png
    919.3 KB · Views: 53
Thank you, they grow so well, I'm still looking for, choice phobia:(

17D843CE-4004-47FD-8628-8BB71563942C.jpeg
3EA778AA-E722-440B-BB7B-093DC012FF03.jpeg
630C6138-1920-4166-AA2A-2D9EFBB62DDD.jpeg
77076040-AA0A-49CB-915D-06C83E474CCF.jpeg
Just harvested my 1st Just harvested 1st grow and I feel pretty good about the results...
2 plants - Chemodo Dragon - Hybrid strain combo - Chemdawg#4 & Gupta Kush
Scrogged in my own RDWC design
No clue on yield weight yet, but it’s more than I was expecting
Pictures attached...
One of the heavy cola branches broke in my hand as my wife was snapping the photo

Congratulations! Great looking buds! You'll be toking for a while. Very impressive for a first grow...I do believe you have a green thumb.

Can you tell me more about your RDWC? I have decided that I am going to do an inside grow this winter. And I think I want to make up some kind of RDWC similar to what you have. Did you buy this commercially or did you make it? Is the piping 1-1/2"? After much looking at RDWC systems, I think I am going to make mine up myself, so I can configure it like I want. LOL--I can see that yours worked very well for you!

57A258AE-A0EA-435B-B968-E7273A30950D.jpeg
FD107CE1-D6F0-49B4-B2AA-5E6E172A2AF9.jpeg
Hi HG
I really appreciate the kind words! I researched MJ growing like a mad man over the last 6 months and learned a ton from this forum as well. I built my own RWDC system after doing tons of research on that as well. For some reason that concept really appealed to me and it’s been a ton of fun! I used 5 gallon rectangular buckets, so the bulkheads get much better seals than the round buckets. The undercurrent piping is a 1-1/2” system with a 1000 GPH in-line pump.
I also divert circulation to an uppercurrent 1/2” piping for a waterfall system to each grow bucket for added oxygen, plus it lowers the flow in the undercurrent just enough so the roots don’t get sucked into the pipes. Then I added hi-flow jet propulsion to the control station for a geyser or fluming effect, which adds a ton of more dissolved oxygen; that way, if my air stones fail, which they always do at some point, the other 2 oxygenation sources will more than suffice to keep the plants thriving. I even turned off my air pump for a week to test it out and the plants did great.

The control station is also only 5 gallons and is located inside the tent, which some people won’t love, but it’s still easy to access and its fed by a 25 gallon reservoir that’s located outside the tent. I live in Colorado & my setup’s in the basement on concrete, so water temps have stayed below 68°F, but I also have a nice portable A/C unit that’s vented into the tent and blows right on one of the buckets...it’s perfect because it keeps the water cool, the tent cool, plus it dehumidifies as well, which would otherwise be an issue in mid to late flower when humidity sky rockets in the tent.

I created 3 different RDWC designs for smaller grow set-ups that will fit in smaller tents: 3’ x 3’, 3’x 4’ or 4’ x 4’. I have a 2 tent setup in my basement storeroom for a perpetual grow and it’s worked out great. I already replaced the 2 plants I just harvested Friday with 4 more plants that have been in veg for 6 or 7 weeks and are ready to flower. The 3 different designs are to accommodate either 2 plant, 3 plant or 4 plant setups. As you already know, with topping, fimming and scrogging techniques, I’m hoping I can get over a pound with just 2 plants once I get it fully dialed in.

I’ll send you a few pics of my system and if you’re interested I can help you with the build because there are a bunch of parts that the pictures won’t really reveal. I even have a complete list of parts for each design. The pics I’ve uploaded are for a 4 plant system, but I removed the covers & mesh pots on the front 2 grow buckets to see the internal parts, but that didn’t really work out do to poor lighting.

How many plants are you planning on growing at a time?

Congratulations! Great looking buds! You'll be toking for a while. Very impressive for a first grow...I do believe you have a green thumb.

Can you tell me more about your RDWC? I have decided that I am going to do an inside grow this winter. And I think I want to make up some kind of RDWC similar to what you have. Did you buy this commercially or did you make it? Is the piping 1-1/2"? After much looking at RDWC systems, I think I am going to make mine up myself, so I can configure it like I want. LOL--I can see that yours worked very well for you!

Here’s a few more pics of the RDWC in use in the grow tent...and by the way, that system cost me about $300 to build, including pumps and the collapsible 25gal reservoir. There are cheaper systems on the eBay and Amazon, but most are just DWC, crap designs, low flow with poor reviews...

Attachments

• 7257E6BE-E697-468D-92C5-CC0179ED964A.png
    7257E6BE-E697-468D-92C5-CC0179ED964A.png
    560.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 664FEE9D-1DD1-43F8-964D-C1BB4774C86D.png
    664FEE9D-1DD1-43F8-964D-C1BB4774C86D.png
    531.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 1919E5B3-7530-483E-9504-588C3B4DEAEE.png
    1919E5B3-7530-483E-9504-588C3B4DEAEE.png
    380.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 89B984F8-3ABF-4D77-B37C-BDEA88DF23AC.jpeg
    89B984F8-3ABF-4D77-B37C-BDEA88DF23AC.jpeg