AARP Supports Medical Cannabis For Elderly Where Legal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From Forbes
AARP Takes Medical Marijuana Mainstream
th

Contributor Abbie Rosner Sep 5, 2019
With some 38 million members, and a magazine that tops the circulation of any publication in the country, AARP is arguably the most influential organization addressing adults over 50 in the United States. A non-partisan, non-profit organization, AARP’s publications, benefits programs, community activities and activism have sealed its reputation as an unbiased and trusted advocate on behalf of its constituents.

So when AARP publishes what older adults should know about medical marijuana, as it did this week in a special feature on Marijuana and Your Health, you know the message is going mainstream.

This isn’t the first time AARP has addressed marijuana topics. Yet the publication of an entire set of articles addressing the medical and recreational uses of cannabis and CBD, with a focus on practical education and dispelling misconceptions, represents a critical milestone on the road towards cannabis normalization.

AARP fills in the blanks

Sourcing accurate information about medical marijuana can be a formidable challenge for older adults. And in AARP’s September 3rd coverage of “The Basics,” readers are warned not to expect too much in the way of guidance from their healthcare providers. And then, six additional articles and videos start to fill in the blanks.

Under the FAQs, for example, one can find measured, rational answers on issues such as the appropriate dosing of THC for older adults: start with 2.5 mg in a “start low, go slow” titrating approach. Considering the confusion surrounding this issue, clearly presented information like this fills a critical void.

Other information, such as how to store different forms of cannabis, and the differences between Indica and Sativa, is more esoteric. But the mere mention of these concepts on the pages of AARP’s magazine and website is enough to shift them from the periphery onto the mainstream public agenda.

In another article, on “What Medical Marijuana Works For,” the author draws from available clinical research to conclude that “it seems to help” conditions including chronic pain, insomnia, anxiety, PTSD, Multiple Sclerosis and Cancer pain. For millions of readers, this tentative green light from a trusted source may be just enough to alleviate their fears and tip the scales in favor of trying medical marijuana - after discussing it with their physician, of course.

AARP’s official stance

Included among the featured articles is AARP’s official stand on medical marijuana, as follows (emphases are mine):

In March, the AARP Board of Directors approved a policy supporting the medical use of marijuana for older adults in states that have legalized it. The decision was based on the growing body of research suggesting marijuana may be helpful in treating certain medical conditions and symptoms. The policy also notes that decisions related to the use of medical marijuana should be made between a patient and a health care provider and appropriately balance clinical evidence of benefit and harm, the patient’s preferences and values, and any laws that may apply.

According to the policy, “AARP also supports further clinical research of medical use of cannabinoids to help alleviate both the symptoms of disease and the side effects of the treatment for diseases.” The policy adds that “AARP believes the DEA’s [Drug Enforcement Administration] classification of marijuana as a Schedule I controlled substance deters the medical use and scientific study of cannabinoids” and calls on federal officials to examine options to allow more clinical research.

Not a priority, but impactful nonetheless

According to Veronica Byrd, Director of Media Relations at AARP, medical marijuana is not currently a priority issue for their organization. Yet by explicitly endorsing the use of medical marijuana, covering the topic in such a pedagogic fashion, and calling for expanded clinical research, AARP may actually be more effective in dispelling stigmas and influencing public opinion about cannabis use and policy than any other effort to date.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/abbier...es-medical-marijuana-mainstream/#3fab56de312c

I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to be honest with your care giver about cannabis. Mine seemed happy that I was using cannabis rather than ibuprofen to handle pain. She asked me if I smoked it or used edibles. I said both, plus topicals. She seemed satisfied with that and I did not receive a lecture about smoking it. It is nice to see mainstream medicine starting to see the value here.

As a little side note here, we have discovered that I have stage 3 renal disease. It is probably genetic as my younger sister has stage 4 renal disease. I can only imagine how much worse it might be if I had taken ibuprofen for decades instead of using cannabis.

Interesting article...but sad that all it would take to gain some good research info is remove this from the likes of heroin, meth, and the other poisons in the schedule 1 list...let science have access to some decent weed...

It is so way past time to do that. I absolutely do not understand the mentality of those that bastardize cannabis when they actually know nothing about it.

Make no mistake about it though, AARP is just an arm of a political party and they walk hand in hand on all the issues....... I'm a member solely to take advantage of their association with United Healthcare, Plan G for gap insurance which covers what Medicare doesn't. I suspect in every lean they have, it advantages AARP above all else.

Latest posts

Back