About cloning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete

Reaction score
If you clone a vegging plant before you know the sex, what do you get? .... specifically, is it only always one specific sex or can it vary and .... B. Is there anything can be done to encourage a female out of it? Thanks.

Wait ! ---Give Ole Pete a head ache !-- Telling him about the exception ?-- Selfing !-- You'll have to do some reading Pete !--- A female plant can be turned male and bred back to itself to produce seed -- It's a shame but U can't turn a male into a female even if U Jesus !

Wait ! ---Give Ole Pete a head ache !-- Telling him about the exception ?-- Selfing !-- You'll have to do some reading Pete !--- A female plant can be turned male and bred back to itself to produce seed -- It's a shame but U can't turn a male into a female even if U Jesus !
Yes you can, they just cause more problems than they solve

So what I'm taking away from this is.... don't waste your time cloning something you aren't sure is female, but if you do, the only way you can ..... I just need to find some freakin' seeds.

Pete they got some mix and match places that sell single seeds -- Order U some feminized seed -- Everyone is a girl !
If I can order seed and have them delivered to Texas then U can get seed where ever U are --If U looking for easy and quick maybe try some feminized autos ?--

Hey Keef...

Yeah, I'm in Michigan so it's all legal now but it will be another year before any serious retail gets off the ground, they're still working on licensing and such. I have tried to find places to order seeds, but they've all been overseas and want you to jump 9 flaming hoops then somehow turn your money into bitcoin and it's all too much for me. Then they tell you you may not get 'em anyway. Is what you're doing any easier?

........ and I'm not sure about auto flower. I like the idea but not sure about yields and potency yet. If it is as good of quality as Indica, then I'm interested for sure. I'm just trying to keep a reasonable stash flowing for myself and my wife.

Try Elev8 seed -- It's been awhile but I have ordered from them !

Pete
Most well established seed co's are good about getting the seeds to you. I've bought from Nirvana seeds several times and never had a problem. I send cash. No hassel, no "lost" payments or shipments.
There's autos now that are quite good!

I don't think it is a waste of time to clone unsexed plants. Chances are that 50% of plants are female. Cloning takes very little space and it is as easy to clone a bunch of cuts as it is just a few cuts. And practice make perfect. So, IMO, clone away and experiment to see what methods work best for you. Having great cloning skill is very valuable.

I just ordered from an overseas seedbank (that I have never used before) that was pretty much hassle free. They responded promptly to n e-mail I sent them. I'll let you know how the transaction goes.

I bought from attitude seeds in the UK. You can use(or could last I ordered) a credit card as long as you shopped with the currency set as GBP. When I had it set to USD, it would not allow me to order. Sent them an email and they replied with that trick. You get charged like a 3% surcharge by your credit card company but $3 on $100 seemed fair to me so I would not have to use bitcoin or send cash. Also if you choose stealth shipping(an extra $15)you will get a crappy belt or a tee shirt that has your seeds concealed within.

Oh and I am in Massachusetts. We are legal now too but we were not when I ordered seeds. Our legal weed took 2 and a half years after we voted for it to become available and is now selling for prices around the benchmark of gold. Still can’t buy seeds here. Probably because they are too busy raping consumers with price gouging sums and why would they want to help out the consumers?

Really appreciate all the suggestions. Great forum, lots of cooperation. I am busy again. Thanks. I'll post anything that comes of it all.

One reason to clone is to determine the sex of the donor if you don’t already know...clone as soon as you can and send the clones into flower, then if you get a male you can pull the donor out of your grow so he doesn’t spread unwanted pollen...I prefer growing known females but you can’t get everything you want in a feminized seed...

I like to keep a male around but when he gets outta control and I'm not ready for him I'll take a couple cuts off him--When they root I throw the bigger piece away and keep on keeping get on -- Keeping them small I was maintaining about 2 dozen varieties in a square yard at one time -- Use it like a library file card -- Pull out the one or more I want --- grow it up a bit -- chop it into cuts replace the original cut in veg and run the cuttings --
Pete U might want to consider setting up a permanent grow with 2 grow areas -- Then again I used to know this other guy in Michigan -- He had a red cement mixer to make bubble hash -- He said up here we grow our smoking weed inside and turn the outside grow into bubble hash !
It's something to think about ?

I like to keep a male around but when he gets outta control and I'm not ready for him I'll take a couple cuts off him--When they root I throw the bigger piece away and keep on keeping get on -- Keeping them small I was maintaining about 2 dozen varieties in a square yard at one time -- Use it like a library file card -- Pull out the one or more I want --- grow it up a bit -- chop it into cuts replace the original cut in veg and run the cuttings --
Pete U might want to consider setting up a permanent grow with 2 grow areas -- Then again I used to know this other guy in Michigan -- He had a red cement mixer to make bubble hash -- He said up here we grow our smoking weed inside and turn the outside grow into bubble hash !
It's something to think about ?

You keep the male around for fertilizing, right? After everything I've read, there aren't many other uses for it in this field anyway...

I probably won't be setting up 2 rooms. We're in a modular. Even the doorways are stupid small. You have walk sideways to get in without wrenching a shoulder on the jambs.

One reason to clone is to determine the sex of the donor if you don’t already know...clone as soon as you can and send the clones into flower, then if you get a male you can pull the donor out of your grow so he doesn’t spread unwanted pollen...I prefer growing known females but you can’t get everything you want in a feminized seed...

So when you clone an unknown, like, as soon as you can, how long does it take to show the sex?

I don’t know as I have not done that...I guess you can take a clone after you get 4 or 5 nodes then allow it to root and you can flip it to flower ...I guessing it’ll take a couple of weeks to flower and see what sex it shows...I have such limited space that I don’t use clones, I mostly grow feminized seeds but I have grown regulars as well and am right now...I just flipped my plant to flower when they got to an appropriate size for my cabinet and a couple showed male after a couple weeks and I pulled them...someone here who is smarter than me will come along I guess...

Latest posts

Back