AC Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dman1234

I just had a panic moment, i dont always grow in summer but i am until the end of july,

I have a window AC in my room, my understanding of a window AC is that it doesnt exchange air from inside to out, im pretty sure this is correct but why not ask if im not sure, i am starting to get really stinky and i cant have the AC pump bad air outside.

Am I correct that it Does Not pump the indoor air outside?

A/C units usually rotate air through a series of cooled tubes filled with refridgerant. It sucks in air from the inside and cools it then pushes it back out.

The heat you feel on the outside is from the compressor and condensation motors running.

Well if your worried about smell then it is possible to escape through it, thats why people keep things over there A/C in the winter time to stop cold air from coming in. Not just around the sides but through it. Granted the A/c unit doesnt pump hot air out from your home per se, The smell can still make its wake through the internal workings. What floor level is you A/C unit?

Ok gotcha,

I was asking for the smell issue only, i got the fresh air covered.

Well if you have to use it then you have to use it. Maybe get a carbon filter for those home scrubber things you can get at lows and put it where your usual A/C filter goes that would put a layer of carbon where it pulls in the air from your room.

Well im not sure it puts indoor air out so i dont want to restrict anything on the AC for no reason,

I have a regular carbon filter that exchanges the air in the room 3-4 times a min.

It doesnt push the air out per se, but A/C units are far from air tight too is all Im saying. So you are just worried that the smell of your plants will be blown out all over your neighbors house right? LMAO quickly imagining the neighbors face when he smells it is priceless. What the?

I wouldn't trust that the A/C doesn't ciculate the air from inside to out or vice versa....mine has that option....or so it says? If not sure, dman, don't take the risk!! Buy one of those A/C units that sit in the room without need for vent!! Around $300 for one that's therm controlled.

dman- it depends on the unit, but the majority of window type ac units AND portable units exhaust outside.

Odor will be an issue.

Yep!! :yeahthat: Meijer's has one from Polar Wind that sits in the room and isn't vented outside at all. It's shaped like a dehumidifier...and the more expensive model does dehumidify!

I have a 12K BTU AC in my grow lab and it has the option to vent fresh air or not, but like AC said, they ain't real tight. I got a couple sheets of carbon infused filter mesh from the fish store/aquarium outfitter and cut it to fit over the intake of my unit. It allows plenty of free flow, knocks out the smell and is good for about a month. Then I take it down and bake it in the oven on 300 for an hour, which burns off all the smell and reactivates the carbon. It works really well.

Don't forget the condensation that is running out of A/C unit, it will be full of smells. Maybe you could run the water down into your gutter down spouts or something. Always something to think about with this hobby.

Thanks,

Its actually not mounted in a window, my room is built about 3 ft from an outside wall with the window open, i exhaust everything into this "room" and the ac is mounted there, i have a drip pan that collects the AC's waste water.

I am freaking out as my temps have gotten to 90 today. I bought a cheap 99.00 swamp cooler that didn't work. Now I am going back out and looking at a window unit, but my window is only 16 inches wide. Help?

Roddy said:
Yep!! :yeahthat: Meijer's has one from Polar Wind that sits in the room and isn't vented outside at all. It's shaped like a dehumidifier...and the more expensive model does dehumidify!

$299 for the cheaper model, them controlled....

Latest posts

Back