Adding clay to the soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happyfarmer

Reaction score
Hey people!

Been wondering about adding a small amount of clay to my outdoor soil
(not containers but the earth)

But i havent really been able to find alot of information about this. Was thinking about red clay which seems easy to get a stores etc. But dunno about PH or the nutrients of that specific clay.

Anyone that has experience with this?

Thanks in advance

I don't think clay would be very good. Pot likes good drainage and I don't think clay drains well.

If you do want red clay, you don't have to go to the store for it, Alabama and Georgia are full of it. LOL just kidding.

Hey, i know the plants want drainage. But a good mix in the soil is god. Clay has valuable nutrients and help bind the nutrients you gve the plants. so therefore i wanna add some (NOT MUCH) but some :)
If others have experience please share.

I have never found clay to be good to add to my soil. Like Hackerman, it is just too dense and does not allow for good drainage. There are a lot of easier ways to add the nutrients that you may (or may not) get from clay. The amount of nutrients can vary widely from too much to none. Clay is generally only added to soils if you have extremely sandy soil that has no water retention capabilities on its own.

Most od soils already have clay in them.

Hemp goddes. Thanks for your answer. I won't be adding clay to my soil then.

Latest posts

Back