Adding Human Supplements to Nutes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prospector

Card Holder
Reaction score
While considering what improvements to my project that might be helpful and I remembered that I have a banana box full of 10 year outdated Nutritional supplements.

To mention a few: Blue green algae, Glucosamine Sulfate, Alfalfa leaf, Norwegian kelp, oils (fish, cod liver, vit. E, vit. D, Primrose), vit. C, Brewers yeast, zinc gluconate, Chitosan (shellfish exoskeleton), green tea extract, Ginseng (Siberian and Ontario), Fenugreek seed, calcium (citrate, carbonate), d-calcium phosphate,L-Lysine hydrochloride, Milk thistle, Ginko Biloba, Chromium Picolinate, B vitamins.

As fillers, there is Magnesium stearate which is in many of these products, as well as different forms of calcium and other potentially helpful trace ingredients.

I know that there is a box in my garage with even more than I have mentioned already. Are there any of the ones that I mentioned or other supplements that should not even be composted? The trace elements in some should be helpful but as for calcium and magnesium for instance, which type is worth using?

Can someone help me decide on some to use and others to avoid, including others not mentioned?

maybe if you add some of that Ginko you wont get the short term memory lost

if u add dexatrim to it, mayhaps no munchies:confused:... :huh::stoned:

:rofl:

If i were you I'd toss'em and add known dedicated plant AMENDMENTS like earthworm castings or lime (dolomite that is...) or azomite, or myco-beneficials or bonemeal or bloodmeal or extra course perlite...Coudln't tell you bout human supplements only plants....Sorry if this doesn't help...And i'm outty:bolt:

I would not use human suppliments as they are formulated for human consumption and the chemical combinations may not be beneficial or even detrimental to the plants I would just toss those rather than wondering if they are helping or hurting. JMHO :)

I wld throw them out....I sure as helll wldnt gve them to my plants. I am with Hush 100%.

I wouldnt do it, have you ever seen Little Shop of Horrors.:eek:

I definetly wouldn't do it.

PuffinNugs said:
maybe if you add some of that Ginko you wont get the short term memory lost

Thanks for the suggestion but I think that the memory has more to do with my personal consumption of a certain natural "herb" that I consume, as well as old age.

7greeneyes said:
if u add dexatrim to it, mayhaps no munchies:confused:... :huh::stoned:

:rofl:

If i were you I'd toss'em and add known dedicated plant AMENDMENTS like earthworm castings or lime (dolomite that is...) or azomite, or myco-beneficials or bonemeal or bloodmeal or extra course perlite...Coudln't tell you bout human supplements only plants....Sorry if this doesn't help...And i'm outty:bolt:

I don't know about the Dexatrim, those MM munchies can be pretty powerful.

It was during my study of the normal plant admendments and soil prep recipes that include the basics of plant nutrients, that made me consider the fact that these contain calcium, mangnesium, sulfur (sulfates), and other ingredients mentioned as necessary.
I know where a large deposit of Dolomite is but buying a bag would be much easier.
I have already started feeding Bone and Blood meal to my plants (Miracle gro) and it has greatly improved the color and helped to get my plants looking healthy again!

I agree that I could not use this stuff to create anything near the quality of the pre-packaged mixes but wanted to see if any of the basics like mentioned previously, could be added in small quantities.

I'm glad it was old pills....... "human supplements" had me wondering if it was......

:48:

Hushpuppy said:
I would not use human suppliments as they are formulated for human consumption and the chemical combinations may not be beneficial or even detrimental to the plants I would just toss those rather than wondering if they are helping or hurting. JMHO :)

It was the combination of known benneficial ingredients with a lot of other things that concerned me as well, but thought that some of the basic elements like calcium, magnesium and zinc, could be used to enrich in small quantities but it appears that the jury is in and my box of supps. is out the door. If I can't even use them in my compost then It is just taking up space!

Thanks to you all for the input.

PS, How about some live ProBiotics in my mix? I am not getting much, if any action from my very moist mix ( no heat production), and perhaps not enough microbes present, possibly. Again, this is for humans but I'm trying to learn as much as possible and make use of all that can be used from my years of collecting, stuff.

Also, for THG, My Cool Tube is in the making! Ebay had a bake-around for $9, $17 with shipping, and one more trip to Home Depot will finish my list of parts that are required.

PS, Please forgive me for being so inquisitive and for asking dumb questions.
I hope that I have not offended you!

Grower13 said:
I'm glad it was old pills....... "human supplements" had me wondering if it was......

:48:

I hope that you did'nt think that it was poo. I would never add it before composting, ha ha.

Prospector said:
Also, for THG, My Cool Tube is in the making! Ebay had a bake-around for $9, $17 with shipping, and one more trip to Home Depot will finish my list of parts that are required.

PS, Please forgive me for being so inquisitive and for asking dumb questions.
I hope that I have not offended you!

Not dumb questions at all--I LOVE helping others learn to grow. I am also a big believer in using whatever you can that is laying around, but it is my understanding that plants metabolize things differently. It is better to ask if not sure and I am not offended in the least. I hope the bakearound cooltube works well for you.

I've stayed online looking at some of the plants and am amazed at all you all have accomplished, admiring your great work. Then after looking at Hushpuppy's "Stealth Cabinet Grow", then remembered what my spindley plants look like, I started laughing.

All I can do is be humbled, start saving for my water grow, and do it right. Also, concerning seed strains, I now think that I understand why you are willing to put so much into your skill bank, because it pays! I have no idea what 16 seeds cost, but I think that it's time to invest, though still not skillful enough not to kill them!

There is a learning curve to this hobby. I have been doing it for a long time. You will get better with each grow as you get your space dialed in better and have more experience.

I think genetics are important. I was quite happy with what we were growing...until I saw some White Widow and Master Kush a fellow grower was growing under similar grow conditions as our room. Wow--what a difference in both quality and quantity. After that, basically all we grew were known genetics from a reputable seed bank. And also got into cloning big-time. If you clone, you can have a constant supply of cuttings with known qualities--you may not need 16 seeds.

What do you want out of your bud? An up energetic high? Mellow relaxed high? Stoned, couch-lock? There are so many different strains out there now that you really have a lot of options as to the kind of high and the aroma and taste, which is really cool.

i read awhile back in some grow guide that adding prenatal vitamins did something for plants, also something about birth control pills.

i would never try, just seems silly even the guide said no proof in results

The Hemp Goddess said:
There is a learning curve to this hobby. I have been doing it for a long time. You will get better with each grow as you get your space dialed in better and have more experience.

I think genetics are important. I was quite happy with what we were growing...until I saw some White Widow and Master Kush a fellow grower was growing under similar grow conditions as our room. Wow--what a difference in both quality and quantity. After that, basically all we grew were known genetics from a reputable seed bank. And also got into cloning big-time. If you clone, you can have a constant supply of cuttings with known qualities--you may not need 16 seeds.

What do you want out of your bud? An up energetic high? Mellow relaxed high? Stoned, couch-lock? There are so many different strains out there now that you really have a lot of options as to the kind of high and the aroma and taste, which is really cool.

THG, I am on morphine sulfate, big time (300mg/day) as well as Vicodin so an upper type of high would be a good start, I tend to be a light weight.
I stopped for 5 years and only after getting my MMC, did I start again (last October), so my resistance is still building somewhat.
One of the reasons that I got my card was to help me reduce my doses. I did immediately cut my Morphine in half, in one day, thanks to the weed! The withdrawals were a bit troubling.

A good high quality variety may help me to get off of the narcotics altogether. With this information, what would you suggest? Maybe something between the upper high and "Kick my Butt". Is there something like that available? I used to enjoy the skunky type but since it has been so long, It is hard to say, plus the obvious problem with a strong odor.

If it wasn't for the curative properties of marijuana, I'd stll be taking dilaudid like they were tic tacs. Once you get growing in your place dialed, you'll be able to greatly reduce your opiate intake (if not suspend it altogether), depending on the severity of your physical ailments and what strain(s) you choose. Here's to you, bud. I'd love to pullup my beanbag chair to one of your grows any day.

:peace:,

7greeneyes:)

Use human additives for plants? Instead why not try feeding your plants some burgers & coffee? Or feed yourself some bat guano and worm castings. Makes exactly the same sense.

Latest posts

Back