Adding sugar to you plants when flushing??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EsC420PoT

Hydro Indoor Grower
Reaction score
Iv read a little about this but havnt heard of results or the proportions to use if it does. Is suppose to make then pack On weight and more potent. Either way a very respected and well known grower around the bay area says that adding sugar when flushing is good bethod. What do you guys think?

I hve never heard of it and of the top of my head I don't see how it wld do anything. jmo

I also do not see any advantages, but several downsides,like attracting bugs.

See that's what I felt also, but my this guy swears by it. Grows his meds at 24% thc so I'm real skeptical, but I'll def take your guys advice over his any day. Any more takers?

It doesn't make any sense to me. Flushing with sugar, what a mess and the poor roots? yuck.

In fact, why are you flushing? Just keep feeding your girls if you want them to keep packing on weight. No one and nothing anywhere can add weight while being starved.

I read about this in High Times question and answer section in the back of the magazine. One person even talked about using Kool Aid to enhance the flavor. Seemed a bit crazy to me.

juniorgrower said:
I read about this in High Times question and answer section in the back of the magazine. One person even talked about using Kool Aid to enhance the flavor. Seemed a bit crazy to me.

Yeah that's because it is....:)

Like THG said Just keep feeding. IMO Flushing is for when the plant has health problems not when its a healthy reaching the end of it's life cycle plant. If your in organic soil adding a little "sugar" (I rec you use only Blackstrap Molasses not any type of sugar) will give the microbes in it more food to reproduced and that will give the plant a boost in available nutes

Yeah the only thing I can see sugar doing is feeding your micro herd which helps them breakdown the nutrients in the soil and feed the plant. The plant doesn't drink the grape soda and then deposit grape flavors to the buds...lol. That is just insane. Jmo

I always love to hear the kool aid or grape pop thing :D

guaranteed to bring a smile to my face everytime.

I do not believe that regular processed sugar is usable by plants. I believe that it has to be molasses (or other carb plant food) and then, it only helps if you are growing organic. As a side note, "flushing" with molasses is not really flushing at all. This would be the opposite of flushing--you are giving your plants a nice dose of something that is going to make food more available to the plants.

LOL--Kool-Aid to enhance flavor :rofl: ? That right there should tell you how much credence you should give to anything written there....

I prefer to peee on my plants to flush... some hippy named chong told me thats what he does and he grows the super dank chronic dro... :rofl:

this made my morning .. wanders off smiling :ciao:

One thi9ng you may also take into consideration, is that, in order to know the potency of your bud, it has to be sent off to a lab for chemical analysis. If this guy hasn't done that, his 24% is nothing more than a number off the top of his head. Not saying he hasn't... just saying that the labs that do that particular analysis aren't cheap, and they are private.

did some searching and this is what i came up with i am not the author but found it a good read i hope this helps

Most types of soda (irrespective of brand name - Sprite, Coke, Fanta, Mountain Dew etc.) contain a few common elements: carbonated water, flavouring, colouring and sugar. Of course there are a differences in tastes, and chemical composition, but the basics are the same.

So, what is the story surrounding watering plants with soda or sugar water?

Sodas contain a form of glucose (normally corn sugar extract) and sugar water is normally a mixture of water and crystallised sugar (which is again the glucose extracted from sugar cane). This is normally a form of glucose referred to as d-glucose (due to the shape of the molecule).

Plants are able to absorb and assimilate and metabolise d-glucose, so the simple answers would seem like yes, soda and sugar water does help plants grow. In small quantities or dilute concentrations yes; in large or high concentration no, it will eventually kill the plant. In large doses, the sugar changes the water potential in the soil around the plant, preventing water from being absorbed by the the roots (through osmosis).

The first signs would be that the plant wilts as it it not able to absorb enough water to sustain itself. In addition high concentrations of sugar in the soil provide a fertile breeding ground for bacteria and fungi, which would take the first opportunity to attack a damaged or injured plant.

High amounts of calcium (dissolved by the carbonated water) could also be expected to start precipitating at the surface of the soil.

It also obviously depends on the size of the plant and the quantity (and frequency) of soda/ sugar water you are applying.

A Similar Result

Sugar added to the water given to a plant can help the plant grow faster, bigger, greener and taller, because plants have the process of respiration (the opposite of photosynthesis) which needs glucose, which is sugar, and oxygen to help grow. By giving seeds and young plants sugar water, it helps the plant grow to be greener because it is given a double dose of glucose. However, if you give the plant too much sugar water it will kill the plant because it cannot efficiently absorb water from the soil.

I grew tomatoes as an experiment in my science class and I had sugar water as the experiment. One pot had sugar water tomatoes and the other had regular water. In 1 week the sugar water plants had sprouted and were around one inch. The regular plants did not sprout until around the second week. By the end of three months the sugar water plants were around 2 feet tall at least, had buds and were extremely green and healthy. While on the other hand the regular water plants were not a foot tall yet and they had leaves that weren't that green.

wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_soda_or_sugar_water_affect_the_growth_of_a_plant#ixzz205XBf9o1

and on the other side theres this

Sugar--A Common Misconception
Owning and caring for a plant or garden can be a rewarding experience. There is a large variety of botanical life to choose from, such as orchids, mini herb gardens and even houseplants like the popular Swedish ivy.

Some owners think that adding sugar to the water of their plants will promote growth. This is a common misconception and can be damaging to their health. A plant's basic needs are light, water, nutrients and temperature.

The Effects of Sugar
Sugar can cause numerous issues that may endanger your plants. Moistening the soil with sugared water prevents osmosis, which can lead to wilting and malnourishment. Microorganisms can also be attracted to the soil, where they will begin to feed on the roots of the plant. This encourages root rot, fungus, imbalanced pH levels and other problems.

Photosynthesis is the process of how a plant uses water, light and carbon dioxide to create its food. Glucose is already produced in this process. Providing sugar in the water may cause the plant to develop a dependency on the sugar instead of producing its own. This inhibits natural growth, which could be detrimental.

Treament and Maintenance
Learn to recognize any signs of illness in your plant and treat them immediately. If sugar water has been used, discontinue and check the pH levels of the soil for the next few days.

Depending on the level of damage, transplanting into new soil may be necessary, or closely monitor the plant for indications of unhealthiness. Sometimes a fertilizer can help boost immunity. Before administering, make sure the water-to-nutrient ratio is correct, and the nutrients are safe.

Since there are many variances in botanical life, provide the specific requirements for your plant's proper care. This will allow the plant to grow and flourish

Do Plants Grow Better With Sugar Water? | eHow.com ehow.com/how-does_5447869_do-grow-better-sugar-water.html#ixzz205ZBcJoP

so as you see everybody has there answer but you will never know for sure what the out come will be until you try for your for your self. hpoefully you will share with us your findings if you do give it a go.

Anybody can go to Wiki and print anything they want--it doesn't have to be true or verified. I take EVERYTHING on Wiki with a grain of salt unless I, personally, know it to be true. The sugar water/soda pop thing is such an example. I have not read any credible thing anywhere that shows that sugar water or soda pop is good for a plant. But I am aware of several downsides.

Oh btw, he grows for a respectable cannabis dispensary here in the bay area. He has in fact had his meds tested. Again another reason why I would be shocked that the things this guy is saying, are turning out to be garbage. Well like I've always said, I'll take your guys advice over any others, any day ;)

if this dude is who he says he is---the miscomunication is he is calling molasses sugar water

Latest posts

Back