Adding Terpenes Back Into Decarb'd Pot For Edibles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
It has been my experience and, I believe most others, that when you cook with weed, the buzz is always the same, whether you use Indica or Sativa.

The difference between Indica pot and Sativa pot is not the THC. That's the same, no mater what. It's the difference in terpenes between Indica and Sativa that make the buzz different.

Here is a pretty good read from Leafly that talks about it... https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/terpenes-the-flavors-of-cannabis-aromatherapy

If I may quote that article...

Each individual terpene is associated with unique effects. Some promote relaxation and stress-relief, while others promote focus and acuity. Linalool, for example, is believed to be relaxing whereas limonene elevates mood.

The effect profile of any given terpene may change in the presence of other compounds in a phenomenon known as the entourage effect. More research is needed to understand each terpene’s effect when used in harmony with others.

Their differences can be subtle, but terpenes can add great depth to the horticultural art and connoisseurship of cannabis. Most importantly, terpenes may offer additional medical value as they mediate our body’s interaction with therapeutic cannabinoids.

So, in short, the terpenes are very important whether you use pot to medicate or whether you use it for recreation. Or, both. Searching for a specific strain for your particular needs is no longer, necessarily the only option. You can fine tune your own extract to suit your needs, whether it be pain or party.

Also, there is some discussion about the terpenes we use not being from cannabis. There is some argument both ways but the studies I have read (I'll link some) all pretty much agree that limonene (for example) terp from cannabis is exactly the same (at the molecular level) as limonene from a lemon or lime.

So, we are not adding anything that is not true to cannabis by doing this.

There are 2 reasons to add terps to edibles. One is to fine tune the edible to your desired result.Which may be a tiny bit un-natural. But, it's pretty cool. The other reason, and most importantly, is because when we cook/heat/whatever the pot to decarb it, some terpenes are lost. These terps are not lost when we smoke or vape but when we cook them off, they are gone gone gone.

And, cannabis terps start evaporating at about 70F and a ton start at just about 100F. So, decarbing our pot at 240F for 40 minutes is heating off a ton of terps.

It's OK, I believe... to put them back.

OK, now that I have satisfied the tree huggers and purists that we are not tainting it.... LOL

There are, I think 300 terpenes in cannabis but about 90+% of them (by volume) are about 7 or 8 flavors. I bought 5. Looking back, if I choose the 5 over, I might not buy the Alpha Pinene and I would substitute another one. The Alpha Pinene has a ton of flavor but not as much effect.

Check out that article on Leafly. It describes the top 8 terps.

I use:

Alpha Pinene
Beta Caryophyllene
Linalool
Myrcene
Limonene

The other predominant ones are

Terpinolene
Ocimene
Humulene

You need an accurate method to measure 10ul or so. Search 'capillary tubes ul' and you'll find different sizes. Or, if you find you like doing this, but an adjustable pipette like this one....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scitecher-...able+pipette&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

I love mine and it's easy to get 100% perfect does every time.

OK, with all that said, let's talk about which terps and why.

Here are some recipes that were offered to me early on...

Sativa

β-Myrcene (59.63%) 1.788 ml
α-Pinene (17.39%) 0.522 ml
DLimonene (9.94%) 0.298 ml
β-Pinene (6.21%) 0.186 ml
Caryophyllene (5.59%) 0.167 ml
Linalool (1.24%) 0.037 ml

Hybrid

β-Caryophyllene (57.14%) 1.714 ml
DLimonene (22.98%) 0.689 ml
β-Myrcene (8.70%) 0.260 ml
Linalool (5.59%) 0.167 ml
β-Pinene (3.73%) 0.111 ml
α-Pinene (1.86%) 0.055 ml

Hybrid

DLimonene (45.05%) 1.351 ml
Caryophyllene (21.62%) 0.648 ml
Linalool (14.41%) 0.432 ml
β-Myrcene (8.11%) 0.243 ml
β-Pinene (7.21%) 0.216 ml
α-Pinene (3.60%) 0.108 ml

Indica

DLimonene (31.41%) 0.942 ml
β-Myrcene (23.72%) 0.711 ml
Linalool (18.59%) 0.557 ml
Caryophyllene (14.74%) 0.442 ml
β-Pinene (7.69%) 0.230 ml
α-Pinene (3.85%) 0.115 ml

Here is a nice chart I use when making recipes. (Not sure why it's so small. I'll fix that)

terps.jpg

Anyway, this chart shows the terps and what they do. It's a nice quick ref for me.

Here was one of my first own recipes...

1 gram rosin
0.15ml terps as follows

Sativa

β-Myrcene 91ul --- (63.54%)
α-Pinene 26ul --- (18.53%)
DLimonene 15ul --- (10.6%)
Caryophyllene 9ul --- (6.0%)
Linalool 2ul --- (1.33%)

This was mostly to see if it worked for pain and rest. The Myrcene is a 'couchlock' terp.

Here is another 'up' recipe I tried. Thes levels of terpenes are probably higher than you want to do for most average patients.

Under the pretense that Limonene and Mycene are somewhat contradictory, I eliminated the Myrcene and doubled the Limonene (as well as doubling all the others).

50ul Linalool
50ul Alpha Pinene
100 Beta Caryophyllene
200ul Limonene
0.5g Cinderella99 Rosin

Here are some final recipes. I used this to make the chocolate candy last week...

Daytime

200ui Beta Caryophyllene (pain, calm, uplifting)
200ui Alpha Pinene (pain, calm, uplifting, energy)
100ui Limonene (calm, uplifting, energy)

Maybe but probably not (save these for night time or use them to temper daytime?):
50ui Myrcene (pain sleep)
50ui Linalool (pain calm uplifting sleep)
Save for nighty night

Above per 1 gram of rosin

Add 1 gram (1 tsp) coconut oil per gram of rosin

Order:
Decarb rosin 250F
Add oil first or terps? 250F is too hot for terps. Add oil
Add Lecithin stir stir

Remove from heat
Add terps and stir stir stir.

0.5 ml terps per gram of rosin.

-------------------
2 Grams rosin

0.5 tsp coconut oil
0.5 tsp lecithin

400ui Beta Caryophyllene
400ui Alpha Pinene
400ui Limonene

I don't see where they sell the single terps. Only 'blends' as they call them.

Have you used their terps?

Watched and very appreciated......4g in and Big U ;) will get me solid...be back later to leave quotes o_O:rolleyes::p

Graywolf from Shunkpharm was vaping the terps themselves without anything else. He said he was just getting a feel for the taste and effect of each terp separately.

I'm not sure exactly how much he was vaping at one time (he said a drop but a drop can be 1ul to 10ul. LOL I have read quite a bit about terps and I am not real comfortable vaping them straight out of the bottle but that's what he was doing.

I did add the terps AFTER cooking one time. I took the pipette and measured and equal amount of each terp right onto the finished piece of candy. WOW, did that taste terrible. LOL

@umbra did you notice any effect from the terps?

OK, I got up some nerve and I read a little on straight vaping terps. It's a little off topic from the edible thing but terps are terps so we'll leave it here.

Today, I am going to test Linalool. I will place 1ul on some flower and vape it. I will do 1ul per hour until I reach 10 or until I find some definite effect. 10ul is a ton of terp to vape and I don't really suggest anyone try this until we see if it kills me first. ;) Terps are very concentrated and can be very dangerous. People were dropping dead a few years back from terpene asphyxiation. You don't notice it at first and 2 hours later, you can't breath. So, take it with however many grains of salt you wish but.... be careful and be warned about vaping straight terps.

On that note, the people were not ingesting terps, they were putting them in those cold air diffusers that were so popular a few years back. One guy at mjp does it that way all the time. He uses Myrcene in a diffuser right next to his bed to help him sleep. And, one in his living room with Limonene and (I forget which) to help his congestion. So, a diffuser is a method to play with terps in lieu of eating or vaping them.

Just tossing that out.

Also, not all terps are created equal. In fact, from what I am reading, most of them are not real pure. One way to determine if your terp supplier is pure, is if they issue SDS or MSDS sheets with the products. Safety Data Sheets are (I think) required by law with real and pure terps so if your supplier does not have them available, you are probably buying terps mixed with other oils. Most 'essential oils' that you buy in the store are NOT pure terps.

Here is an example of an SDS for Linalool... https://buy-terpenes.com/certificates/sds/Linalool_SDS_True_Terpenes.pdf

OK, I am on my 3rd ul and I am going to stop for a while. Linalool is a 'calming' and 'sleep' terp. We'll see if I feel it later.

The first dose was vaped on my E-Nano. The second ul was placed on the tip of my tongue. I wanted to taste it. The third was vaped again. Here are a couple shot of the 1ul capillary tube. You can see just how tiny this 'drop' is. Please don't take a standard 'eyedropper' and vape 3 drops. LOL This drop is considerably smaller than an eyedropper.

The taste, whether vapes or dropped on my tongue is OVERWHELMING. Wow, this stuff is concentrated. On vaping, I tasted it on all 3 hits. And, Linalool is a low temp terp so it vapes up quickly.

IMG_5007.JPG
IMG_5015.JPG

Graywolf from Shunkpharm was vaping the terps themselves without anything else. He said he was just getting a feel for the taste and effect of each terp separately.

I'm not sure exactly how much he was vaping at one time (he said a drop but a drop can be 1ul to 10ul. LOL I have read quite a bit about terps and I am not real comfortable vaping them straight out of the bottle but that's what he was doing.

I did add the terps AFTER cooking one time. I took the pipette and measured and equal amount of each terp right onto the finished piece of candy. WOW, did that taste terrible. LOL

@umbra did you notice any effect from the terps?
No I didn't notice any effect. Too much in the vape cart made it hard to inhale. Just way too terpy. I was making some gummy bears and added a small drop to it. It enhanced the flavor. I have liked it best mixed with hash.

I just keep it simple and take mine like medicine in empty gel caps !-- I use a smaller one for high CBD and 00 caps for high THC - I decarb and run it thru a screen wire so the smaller pieces pack into a cap easier !-- I take a dose of caps 3 times a day -- Let my belly do the extraction !-- I don't need anything stronger !-- Terps are like the seasoning on a dish when smoking but I don't think they would play a major part in an edible buzz ?-- Maybe not ? --

And, cannabis terps start evaporating at about 70F and a ton start at just about 100F. So, decarbing our pot at 240F for 40 minutes is heating off a ton of terps.

I went to the Leafly Article you quoted. https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/terpenes-the-flavors-of-cannabis-aromatherapy but I am confused a bit. In that article it has a much higher temp for vaporization of terpenes, some, like Linalool don't vaporize until 388 deg. F. Others in that chart close to 120 F. So I am thinking that many are lost, but probably not all when heating wax, etc to 240 deg F for a while. Correct?

I have long thought about the high after Smoking, but over time it becomes less and less. I usually smoke a little after work to relax, but my wife doesn't like it and never has. Then I thought it would be a good idea to replace it with food supplies because I have a hard job that just requires rest after. I was trying to find some information about this for a long time and then, I ventured to buy all-natural high-quality CBD chewing gums and did not regret it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
People have been experimenting with terps for years.
For example, I know alot of growers that have been infusing their buds with Terps for years.
In fact every grower I know does that. But none of them will admit it. I just stumbled upon a few of them doing it.
That's how I found out about it.
And once I started talking to them. They told me every grower they know does the same thing.
And I'm talking these guys are growers, not just some little tent grower.
Me personally, I've never done it.
I don't like it. It taste fake to me.
I can tell from the first hit if the buds have been treated or not.
It just taste fake. I dont like it at all. And I won't smoke anymore of it.
In fact I don't like the high it gives me.
To me the high from untreated buds are alot more enjoyable

How exactly do you infuse buds? I'm picturing a guy with a syringe poking every bud as they trim...? I know this is common for concentrates and isolates, but haven't heard it being infused to buds yet. But this industry wouldn't surprise me.

The best research on terpenes, is Dr, Ethan Russo. Want an education, read some of his stuff.

Latest posts

Back