Adjusting Nutrient mix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herm

Reaction score
So my plants have started to show some serious lack of N late in flower so I think I need to adjust my feeding schedule to include more N in late flower. I am running earth juice Grow, Bloom, Catalyst, Microblast, and Hi Brix. Here is what the earth juice grow is:

EARTH JUICE GROW 2-1-1
bat guano
kelp
sulfate of potash
feather meal
oat bran
blood meal
steamed bone meal
this is the “jack of all trades” among the Earth Juice products . . . useful throughout all of vegging and the first couple weeks of vegging . . . Depending on a plant’s growth stage and we use the EJ Grow at concentrations of anywhere from 1 TBSP to 2 TBSP per gallon (and we have pushed it to 3 to 4 TBSP without harm for very heavy feeders)

Here is my feeding schedule of earth juice grow per gallon:

Grow
week 1: 0 ml
5 ml
5 ml
5 ml
7.5 ml
Flip to flower
7.5 ml
10 ml
10 ml
10 ml
10 ml
10+ ml
0ml till finish

I first noticed the deficiency about 4 weeks into flower. So my question is how should I go about adjusting this? Obviously they are not getting enough N but how much more should I add per gallon to start with?

Am I right in reading this nute schedule--you only feed 6 weeks into flowering and then give them nothing? And you are using the Grow formula (2-1-1) the whole grow? I am new to this organics thing, but I would thing a fertilizer that is 2-1-1 would be giving you plenty of N for flowering (maybe too much). But not give you enough K and P.

Can you post up some pics? I just don't see you having a N deficiency using this grow formula for flowering. I would suspect something else.

I would assume that you are using the other nutrients(bloom, catalyst, microblast, hibrix) along with the same schedule that you posted just for the "grow"? I would think those would have the K and P in them and I would think they would also have some N as well. I am with Goddess, I don't know a lot about organic but it doesn't sound like a N deficiency, at least not because of a lack of N. Could be an issue with PH or something blocking the absorption of the N, possibly salt build-up. Definitely need to see some pics of the issue to tell better. Are you in soil? or soilless?

The Hemp Goddess said:
Am I right in reading this nute schedule--you only feed 6 weeks into flowering and then give them nothing? And you are using the Grow formula (2-1-1) the whole grow? I am new to this organics thing, but I would thing a fertilizer that is 2-1-1 would be giving you plenty of N for flowering (maybe too much). But not give you enough K and P.

Can you post up some pics? I just don't see you having a N deficiency using this grow formula for flowering. I would suspect something else.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60192

Here are some pictures from today.

P3100174.JPG

P3100175.JPG

P3100176.JPG

P3100177.JPG

I just went through the GJ and I am wondering about the nutrient line that you are using. Do you know if that line is chelated nutrients or if they require that you use microbes in your soil to chelate the nutes. I am not sure how hot that nute brand is but it looks like it is either not hot enough for them at this point or that there is not enough microbe activity in the soil to keep up with the needs of the plant. I hesatate to say adde more N at this point as you don't want to shut down the bllom cycle with too much N. I would say increase the feeding to either more often or increase the dose by 50%(if 10ml now goto 15ml next feeding)

I suspect that you will not be able to get them to go back green as this far into flowering they have changed their focus to feeding the blooms and will not greatly repair the leaves, but increasing the nutes might help them keep the leaves alive and a little green enough to serve them at least.

Catalyst is basically a jazzed up Molasses / carbohydrate product to feed beneficial bacteria and act as a chelate.

I'm at 90 percent cloudy 10 percent clear right now, so the focus of this wasn't necessarily to try to fix these plants as they will be coming down in a few weeks max but to to dial in my nutes more for future grows.

I'm thinking it looks a little different than N depletion--the mottling and crispy leaves (although your plant really doesn't look bad for late flowering). You may want to try upping your P and K some for flowering.

ozzydiodude said:
Earth Juice Recipes...
<snip>
our standard mix for vegging plants is usually
1 to 2 TBSP Grow
1 tsp Bloom
1 tsp Catalyst (called Xatalyst in Canada for some odd reason)
(all ingredients are added to a gallon of water . . . )
<snip>
Flowering Recipes

early stage flowering plants can often use a fair measure of nitrogen as they stretch . . . so a normal Earth Juice mix in early flowering will look pretty similar to a Grow mix . . . we like to use something along the lines of the following for the first couple weeks of flowering . . .
1 TBSP EJ Grow
1 TBSP EJ Bloom
1 tsp Catalyst ...
<snip>
as flowering progresses we forego the Nitrogen to let our plants use N reserves from the soil as they finish flowering . . . so mixing an Earth Juice Bloom formula can be as easy as . . .
1 TBSP EJ Bloom
1 tsp EJ Catalyst
I've been using these as my standard recipes for EJ. I usually adjust during a grow depending on what I see in the plants.

Doing the conversion from tbsp to ml, that's 15 to 30 ml of Grow during veg and 15 ml during early blooming. Way more than you're using.

I did have some N problems during my last grow. My grow room is in an unconditioned shed and I attributed the problem to lower temps and lower microbial action.

Word^^^^^^

EJ takes a little dialing in AFA your particular strain, but some grow is pretty much needed throughout flower and some bloom in veg, along with the catalyst and micro's.

The *schedules* are at best a suggestion or starting point. You really need to read your plant to find the right blend and strength.

EJ is good stuff, but does have its own learning curve. Took me several grows. Too light, too strong, just right.

Wet

Thank you guys for your feed back. I am going to slowly dial it up over the next couple grows and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back