Advantages of Transplanting??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benamucc

is NORML
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand what if any advantage there is to starting in a small container with seed, and transplanting the plant into a larger container after that. Wouldn't it be less disruptive to the plant if it started in the larger container?

I'm planning my Silver Pearl, and Haze x Skunk#1 grow. I would like to have 2 of each in 1.5 gallon containers. I've read that .5 gal per ft of plant height is the general rule?? :confused2:

I'm using a 16inch by 32 inch space, and feel thats all I can fit with 9inch x 10 containers.

Let me know what you all think...

in my grow every time i transplanted, i got huge growth spurts, idk if its just better to start in one big container.

Save water
Save nutes
Save space
Save light

I hear one pot start to finish is the way to go, but I have yet to see any soild evidence.

No matter where you start I would grow one more of each strain to increase your odds of females. I am praying starting 6 and finishing 4, only time will tell.

I'm lazy and hate transplanting.

the only advantage is space requirements.

Transplanting can be disruptive, but when done properly theres little to no problems. I`d hate to grow a nice big male unless I was breeding, so I usually dont transplant to a big pot until I see definate females.

i have never had a problem transplanting......and its not hard.....

Big root base = big plants........however a plant will still grow even if it isnt transplanted.....but its going to be very rootbound.

Ekoostik_Hookah said:
Big root base = big plants........however a plant will still grow even if it isnt transplanted.....but its going to be very rootbound.

Will the plant still be rootbound if it is in a large container? Is the theroy more based on growing the roots as large as possible in the first container, and then moving it for healthy growth down the entire root structure? I don't know if I'm explaining it right, but similar to stretch if the lights are too far away? Larger container=rootstretch??

benamucc said:
Will the plant still be rootbound if it is in a large container? Is the theroy more based on growing the roots as large as possible in the first container, and then moving it for healthy growth down the entire root structure? I don't know if I'm explaining it right, but similar to stretch if the lights are too far away? Larger container=rootstretch??

Yes, just what you said.

Start off small, and work your way up.
you want to let the roots fill in, in the small container.....then step it up a size and let the roots fill....then transplant again.....

I only transplant 2-3 times.......if you do it 2 times, just let it become rootbound in the first container, then go straight to a larger container.

and yes for the most part it will become rootbound by the end of flowering, even in a large pot......but sometimes its not always fully rootbound.......depends on the size of the plant..

HEHEHE...no such thing as rootbound LOL...just makes the plant smaller and have to water more frequently. :hubba:
Seriously though small container grows tend to stretch more like they are light starved when this is not the case. There are ways to prevent that as I am still learning bonzai. I got to get over my mortal fear of root trimming. :eek:
Now like 1 gallon containers are perfect for my grow area...but if runnin decent sized hids...5 gallon pots with extended veg period is the way to go to grow trees. :hubba:
Larger container=bigger root system.
I start in small solo cups...this makes it so I am not using a ton of soil and taking up valuable space...I gut out weaker plants and keep thinning the crop to the better phenos.
I will never understand why people are so scared of transplanting...If you use care and a shot of Bloom ferts and if you got it on hand shot of B1 before and after transplant...never skips a beat for me. It is not uncommon for me to transplant 2-3 times in a grow from seed. Heck I've even transplanted in flower without a prob...(not recommended tho...better to have it in the container you want it in when you switch)...I have my reasons for doing it this way.(flowering stretch control)..but I don't recommend it.

Latest posts

Back