Advice about re-potting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I have decided to try re-potting for my next grow since I had a fair amount of soil problems this time by planting seedlings directly into their 11L (3 gal) final pots.
I thought that by starting the plants in a small pot until their are switched to flower nutes, I could flush the plant then re-pot them in their final containers and benefit from the fresh soil.
Is this a good plan?
I was thinking of planting the seedlings (after germinating in cups) in either 1.8L or 3.5L pots, and then when they show pre-flowers and I start flower nutes, I would transfer to 11L final pots. I would also flush them to clean the root ball and its soil before re-potting.
I'd rather only re-pot once, and the visual difference between the 1.8 and the 3.5L pots seems minor and not worth re-potting from one to another for that small size change.
What sort of pot size changes would anyone suggest for a final pot size of 11L?
Thanks for any advice.

I transplant a week before flower from 3.6L to 7.2L pots and have great results.

You shouldn't need to flush prior to transplant imo.

Start the gals in the 3.6L then transplant to the 11L pots and you'll be good to go.

I always start my seedlings (and clone cuttings)out in 12oz cups of medium, and then when they are growing good and look like they are getting to the size that they are covering the whole top of the cup then I switch to my final pots which if I am doing soilless will be about 11Ltr pots, if going into hydro, then they go into 2Ltr mesh bottomed pots.

When I was cloning in a bubble cloner, I would wait until the clones had significant root growth before taking them out of the bubble cloner and setting straight into my 2Ltr ffinal pots ffor hydro.

NO FLUSH!!!!! NO rinsing the root ball, no unnecessary removal of dirt and exposure of roots that aren't already exposed.

I start seeds in party cups with drainage. Couple/3 weeks later, transplant to 1gal containers (4L?) for veg, then to final container, 3 to 5 gallons, depending.

But the entire root ball+dirt goes from the smaller container into the larger upcan container.

Wet

I start seeds in 3 inch biodegradable pots (coco coir or peat), when ready, pot and all goes into 6 inch bio pots. When they have out grown these pots, the whole thing goes into the 4-5 gallon final plastic pots. NO transplant shock this way. Works great for me.

Thanks everyone. I wasn't sure if it was necessary to flush before re-potting to keep the soil from building up nute residue and become toxic to the plant.
I think that I'll start out in cups to germinate then move to the 3.5 L pots for veg and then re-pot into the 11L final pot for flower.
Would it be advisable to re-pot when I see the pre-flowers and change to flower nutes or before, when I switch to 12/12? Is it a shock to the plant to be re-potted when they are just starting to flower?

Re pot before they go to flower stage if you can, not after.

Latest posts

Back