Advice for applying to a greenhouse job nearby?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

64yoda

n00b
Reaction score
I'm working on the application and my resume and cover letter tonight to apply at a family owned greenhouse that has been in existence in our area since 1926. I honestly should have applied when I first got the application 2 months ago, but I wanted to make sure I was clean, just in case they do give a drug test.

It's pretty sweet. I first went there in January when it was like 13 degrees F outside. Went inside to get some Epsoma Rock Phosphate, talked to one of the ladies there, and she showed me around. It was so cool. Their indoor greenhouse was like 85 degrees and humid as hell. I was wearing two hoodies and a leather jacket, so I couldn't comfortably walk around in there too long. I got the application for the job the next time I visited in February. They said their busiest month is May.

The second lady was really cool. She told me all about the different positions they have there. I know I would have no experience with floral arrangements or anything like and I probably would not enjoy it much. I don't care if I'd just be responsible for watering plants part-time. I haven't worked since 2009 and not working sucks, at least for me. It was only a matter of time before I knew I had to get back into something that kept me busy. Every once in a while, I get some serious "cabin fever" and just gotta "get the hell outta Dodge." I think this will help a lot.

It was actually my mom who told me about agronomy. My junior year of high school (1997), I originally applied to Iowa State U to major in botany. I ended up going into aviation instead just to get into another univ that most of my friends were going to. That was a big mistake. C'est la vie. Eventually got into information technology, but was never able to make a career out of it cuz of my disability. And now that I know I can combine my two favorite things, technology and plant-care, to pursue a career (agronomy), I think I might finally be onto something.

Anyway, working on the application (quite straight-forward) right now and also the resume and cover letter. My mom said a "functional resume" was more in demand for certain jobs than a chronological one was, so I'm trying to find a template that will help me out after I'm done just listing all the nothings that I can do :D

It would really be awesome if the head guy said, "Let's do an interview now", whether it be tomorrow or Thursday, but I seriously doubt it will happen. They likely have all their positions filled by now anyway if their busiest month is May.

But, does anyone have any advice on "wow factors"? Like things I could say that might show that I have a fairly keen knowledge of plants?

I already have created flash cards with what each essential macronutrient and micronutrient that plants need. I was just going to say that I knew "the basics", rattle off that stuff, and see where that took me, but then I thought I'd come on here since everyone knows so much.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy message. If I don't get this job, there's a couple other plant nurseries in the area that I saw online were hiring. I'll check those out too.

It wouldn't bother me. I learned to appreciate wearing a tie after 4 years in a Roman Catholic h.s.

But, it wouldn't be appropriate. Employees seem to dress fairly comfortably, and in an interview, you're only supposed to apparently take the dress code up one notch. So, if the dress code is jeans and a plaid shirt, then it'd probably be dress pants with an oxford shirt or smth, no tie though.

I really don't know though. Last time I worked was in 2009 painting houses. Before that was 2007 as a bookkeeper. I've never had to wear a tie to a job.

Good luck with your job hunting. I worked in a nursery many years ago. Got very dirty, do remember that. Did not work there very long though, a couple of months.

Latest posts

Back