Advice on ballasts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I am looking at two 600W dimmable digital ballasts and was wondering what people recommend.
One is a Lumatek for 120 and the other one is a Sunmaster for 80.
They both have the same specs, so why is the Lumatek so much more expensive, and what would folks here recommend?
Thanks for any advice.

Lumatek is the Lexus sun master the Toyota they will both do the same but lumatek has the better name.
That's a great price what site?

Thanks. It's not a site. It's the local hydroponics store.

I like my Hydrofarm XtraSun. I would guess that most of the name brands are pretty close. If it's real real cheap.... I am leery. I don't want to save $40 and burn my house down. LOL

The only advice I have on buying equipment is.... buy good quality.

I have not found much difference between ballasts--the Lumateks lasted about the same amount of time as the no name ballasts. If the warranties are the same, I would personally go with the ballast that was 50% less money.

I think a lot of people worry too much about fire. If your electrical is adequate for the load you are putting on it and you do not do stupid stuff like put the ballast on the floor where it can get wet, the chances of a fire from an inexpensive ballast is very very low. In all my years of growing, I have never heard of a ballast itself causing a fire.

Latest posts

Back