Advice on carbon filter with exhaust paring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killertea08

Liven The Dream
Reaction score
So I'm doing a micro fridge grow soon and I need help. I have a custom carbon filter that I did from 2 pencil holders found online, what fan do you recommend for this. My gut tells me a 4in squirrel cage fan is my only option because I need something that will have enough suction. Thx

So I'm doing a micro fridge grow soon and I need help. I have a custom carbon filter that I did from 2 pencil holders found online, what fan do you recommend for this. My gut tells me a 4in squirrel cage fan is my only option because I need something that will have enough suction. Thx
Can you post a picture of this filter?

Why a squirrel cage fan? Why7 not just a regular 4" centrifuge exhaust fan? They are meant to be coupled with filters.

Oh, sorry, but I just don't think that is going to work out at all. That "filter" is way way way too small to be of any good and would restrict the flow from any exhaust fan large enough to do any good. And the design is, IMO, flawed and I can not really see it working. Besides being way too small, there is not enough charcoal between the 2 cups--you can see the inner cup--to do any good at actually removing odors. While you can make DIY carbon filters, this one just isn't going to cut it. Check out the size of a commercial 4" carbon filter to see how large they really need to be and how much charcoal a filter that size actually takes. I have not found RIU to be a good source for growing info.....

I do think that we have a DIY somewhere on here about how to build a good carbon filter. Or there is a lot of info on line. Anything that is going to work well will need to be about the size of the commercial filters.

So glad that cool tube thing worked out for you. It sure is cheap if you are using smaller wattage bulbs.

Yes I will have to rethink my idea. It's so darn hot theses days, I may have to think about ventilation as a whole first before I start. My garage has no ventilation and gets very hot easy high 90's. I was thinking of using a hole saw to drill a 4in hole and using a flush mount dryer cover to seal it. I may have to exhaust the grow and light all at once. The other issue is how I bring in fresh air.

You're growing in a bar fridge ?!??! I just checked out the link. That is waaay cool. The filtre is clever too... I don't think THG saw the fridge, that filtre looks plenty big enough. Absolutely fascinating, what kind of yields? Incandescent bulbs? I'm not surprised it's hot though.
Use THG's cool tube w/ duct (short) to in and out holes on sides and use a pc fan. Cut an input hole (for the plants) in the bottom (or use a hose) and suck air out another hole in the top through your filtre. Keep a window open a crack in the room. Bubble your water. I love it! not very stealthy though hahaha Grab me a beer will ya hon?

Well when she goes to get a beer for you and asks what is this in the fridge, you can honestly say its BUD :hubba: :D

Yes it's THG cool tube design 150w hps the fridge is 2x2x3. I'm going to start in a month or so when it cools off. I need to figure out how to bring in cooler air from outside to my garage first. I am going to Scrog 1 plant most likely hash pant from mandala seeds.

Yes it's THG cool tube design 150w hps the fridge is 2x2x3. I'm going to start in a month or so when it cools off. I need to figure out how to bring in cooler air from outside to my garage first. I am going to Scrog 1 plant most likely hash pant from mandala seeds.

There's only one problem with your fridge grow that I can see...
Won't the light will go off every time you close the door?

The problem with the little tiny filter is that it is too small for basically any kind of fan and there is so little charcoal in it that it's effectiveness would be very low, maybe zero.

Maybe if you made 4-6 filters and arranged them on a larger pipe they might be more effective or you could do the same thing with a waste paper baskets and a pillow case. One filter would probably only suit a PC fan.

I found a better diy charcoal filter I will post it up when I find it. I think I will upgrade to a metal cabinet I have as well. It's a little bigger with locking front doors.

Yes, that is more in line with what you want. You could downsize it as your grow is so small, but that is the basic idea. You want plenty of carbon for the air to pass through.

I found a better diy charcoal filter I will post it up when I find it. I think I will upgrade to a metal cabinet I have as well. It's a little bigger with locking front doors.

Sit it on something that vibrates while you fill it. I remember seeing them fill those things in a video somewhere.

Latest posts

Back