Air conditioner, and how small the space?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YYZ Skinhead

RIP Neil Peart 9/12/1952 -- 1/7/2020
Reaction score
I have an empty room that is around 20' x 20'. I want to use two 1000w HPS in it, but how small a space do I block off for a grow space?

I have an air conditioner as well, but from what I have read in this forum it won't work to cool a room. :confused2:

YYZ Skinhead said:
I have an empty room that is around 20' x 20'. I want to use two 1000w HPS in it, but how small a space do I block off for a grow space?

I have an air conditioner as well, but from what I have read in this forum it won't work to cool a room. :confused2:

With 2 1000's I would go no bigger than 60 sq/ft, maybe 8x8

I dont see why an AC wont cool your room.
Is ths AC in a window?

lets see you have a total of 2000 watts. Bulbs' lumen output range from 145,000 to 155,000 initial lumens.

145,000 X 2 = 290,000 total lumens divide that by 5000(amount of optimal lumens needed for flowering)gives you 58 sqft of grow space. In a square room that would be 7.5' x 7.5' flower room.

If you get a bulb that has an output of 155,000 lumens, that would be:

155,000 X 2 = 310,000 divide by 5000 = 62sqft which would be 7.8'x7.8' flowering room.

With the proper ventilation, an air conditioner should cool your room enough to make your girls happy:)

Mine be suitin me just fine partner. Be riggin it to vent into my growin room and blowin twords the heat comin off light to help with the balance be workin fur me and without much fuss. just what I does hopin it be givin yual the inspirations. Good luck trail walkin friend.

BWD

Props for all the info, everyone. I was thinking of 6' x 6' - 7' x 7' for both lights combined. (The more I learn of lumens and wattage the better.) Last night I was looking for air conditioner talk on this forum and somebody said that all air conditioners do is move the air around the room, which I did not think sounded quite right so I decided to ask for myself.

I have a window conditioner that I bought for cooling the grow. At least I'll be able to use the damn thing. :smoke1:

All it does do is move the air around if the A/C unit isnt in a window. But you aren't using it to bring in new air or anything, in the first place. You're using it to cool the room down to temperatures that your ladies will like. Your ventilation is taking care of the air exchange, but I do believe all the A/C is doing is moving the air around, if it's not put in a window. If it is in the window, you're pulling hot air from outside and turning it into cool air from outside, I believe, so that wouldn't be true. Either way, youre just using it to make the room cooler. I have one in my window already to help with the temperatures in the closet on hot days. Today it's running at about 75 degrees. When it gets warmer, I'll have to turn the A/C on to get it down to the high 70's.

My window a/c draws indoor air, then cools it, then exhaust the cool air back into my room.

My portable a/c draws indoor air, then cools it, then exhaust the cool air back into the room. The duct work that goes to the window exhausts hot air that the compressor/cooling unit makes hot. This will give you some negative air pressure in your room unless you have a intake(such as space under the door, windows frames that leak,ete,ete.)

I don't believe either of us were the ones that had posted, and you don't sound like a jackass, brother. I just took a look at mine, and it makes sense that the air is pulled from the front, being that there is a filter on the front of the unit. So, as duck said, it pulls from the room, cools it, and dispels it, thereby circulating the same air, but as I said, your ventilation/inline fan(s) should exchange your air for you, so the a/c should be used as a supplement to it.

A window ac Recirculates room air across the "cooling coil" or evaporator.
The hot air that is exhausted out the back is is just cooling the compressor's condenser coil. No outside air is exchanged unless the vent button is pushed, and that just opens a hole straight thru.

Latest posts

Back