Air Cooled Hood, inline Fan Power?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffca

Reaction score
what is the minimum kind of power do i need in an inline fan to cool the light enough? because my fan right now is SO LOUD!

my roommate found out about my grow because of it :(

The roommate thing sounds like a bad situation. Before you add more equipment you might want to change your living situation. Just my opinion on that...

use a booster duct fan,you can get a 250cfm 6inch fan or a 500 cfm 8 inch booster duct fan from home depot for around 30 dollars

How many watts do you have? and does your roommate smoke? if he does not and his views are a bit anti, i would pull operation.

if you dont pull operation,i'd at least break him off with some cash to keep him happy.and always pay the electric bill.its the least you can do.

Aurora_Indicas_Dad said:
p.s.
how did the roommate take it?

he actually used to grow himself but he looked at the meter and noticed that it was spinning unusually fast after hearing the fan, so he knew. but i have a month to move them now.

the duct boost fans are very quiet. with insulation almost silent, almost.
puff

edit: the 8" is a few db. quieter than the 6" duct boost fan.

puffnstuff said:
the duct boost fans are very quiet. with insulation almost silent, almost.
puff

edit: the 8" is a few db. quieter than the 6" duct boost fan.
Can you attatch one of these to the can filter carbon scrubber, or do you have to use regular fan? Right now Im using a really noisy hydro farm. The original setup I had was- carbon filter, then hydrofarm fan attatched to that, then 2' of ducting attatched to the air cooled hood i have, then more ducting exhausting that air out of the room. Also I had one more question, when venting air through the hood what side should have the fan blowing air through, or does it matter. My air flow is entering the socket side and exhausting out the other. tHANKS.

i think,if you can have the fan blowing through the socket,then thats the best way to go.you can hook these fans up to the carbon scrubbers.check out dl tokers homemade carbon scrubber in the diy section and youll see a picture that somebody posted (with the duct fan hooked to it)the 6in fans are 250 cfm,the 8'' fans are 500 cfm.i was running 6 '' duct,so i got the 6' fan,but its totally up to you.are you gonna be putting them outdoors now then or what? or are you just gonna find a different place to live where u can grow? is he mad at you for not telling him?-peace

I dont know how well it will work with a scrubber. You want the fan to pull air thru the hood, not blow, you get much better flow when you pull. the duct boost fans are rated as AID say's but actual out put is less than 1/2. The 8" is probably closer to 100cfm, but that is enough for 600 hps. With a couple small modifications to your hood it will stay nice and cool. DIY comeing soon on those modifications, was going to patent and get rich, but.....
puff

heheeheeee....mad scientist at work DO NOT DISTURB (or attempt to feed). just leave a new lighter outside my door each day, all will be fine.
puff

just kiddin', I am desinging flow diverters to increase turbulance inside the hood. Already have intake side done,dramatic increase in cooling effectivness. Now working on exhaust side, need to keep enough air flowing around the bulb and socket while diverting enough air to cool interior metal and glass surfaces. soon buddy..soon. I need to get down into town for some more aluminum though.
puff

edit: modifications will cost about $5 per light.

puffnstuff said:
You want the fan to pull air thru the hood, not blow, you get much better flow when you pull.
Hmmm, so maybe you can help me a bit and clarify something. Should I connect the hydrofarm fan to the carbon filter then duct that to the socket side of the light, then on the other side of the hood put a duct boost fan? I have a 1kw with air cooled hood. Thanks.

im running 2 1000w sunsystem aircooled hoods with a 4" high velocity fan. i can touch the hood after its been on for 10 hours. It does have a intake filter i fashioned out of a "lint trap" and window mesh, sitting right below my a/c register, so it picks up cool air and pushes it through. with the right fan , it shouldnt matter if it pushes or pulls.
oh this is in a 8X11 room and im keeping the temps around 78 f.

Aurora_Indicas_Dad said:
i think,if you can have the fan blowing through the socket,then thats the best way to go.you can hook these fans up to the carbon scrubbers.check out dl tokers homemade carbon scrubber in the diy section and youll see a picture that somebody posted (with the duct fan hooked to it)the 6in fans are 250 cfm,the 8'' fans are 500 cfm.i was running 6 '' duct,so i got the 6' fan,but its totally up to you.are you gonna be putting them outdoors now then or what? or are you just gonna find a different place to live where u can grow? is he mad at you for not telling him?-peace

no he took it really cool actually. like he called me while i was at school and said "you have a weird sound coming from your room it kinda sounds like the heater but the heaters not on" and i was just like "oh i must of left my fan on" then when i got home he straight up asked me. im really not sure what im gona do, i have 3 weeks to figure out a place for them. hopefully a friend will take them on. i live in san francisco so i dont know about putting them outside, too many people around.

i do not have mine blowing thru the reflector.i have my drawing air thru the carbon filter,then thru the reflector and then out the top of my grow tent

Latest posts

Back