Air Layering for hard to clone strain...CSG Grandoggy Purp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
I've only got one of the pheno's to clone well EXCEPT for the one I want. The Chemdog one WILL NOT clone for me. I cloned it once successfully last go around out of 4 like cuttings, only one took.

Tried again on the 2nd of this month and two of the phenotypes didn't take (of course the two I really like...lol...)

Would it be better to try air layering this? Or maybe move on to a different medium i.e. rockwool.

All my other strains seem to do pretty well other then grandoggy purps from Connoisseur Genetics.

I know most ppl will post about that bubbler cloner but I'd really like to stick with what I got and with the method I use

Cloning Specs:

FF Happy Frog soil in starter cups (no perlite). No added aeration, maybe that's the problem.

Utilize pre-packaged sterile Uniblade Surgical Scalpels. Cleaning with iso between cuts.

Biotone powdered rooting hormone. Maybe root gel instead?

Inside my ventilated rubbermaid tote I have a Warming pad underneath set to 80f with a plastic milk crate spacer in which the prop tray and dome sit on top of.

(2) 2' T5HO lights

Mist as needed (twice a day, mostly)

I'm wondering what everyone else does when they have a hard-to-clone varietal that they want to keep in clone form.

:peace: n' thanks for the read/input.

I use Clonex and like it the best of 3 other kinds i have used. I have the same compacted soil problem now. I used a skewer and poked holes in it along with more holes in the cups. I am misting once a day now... they look like hell, but i know they will come out of it in a week or so. Keeping them warm is good too like you are. Patience my friend. AND white root mojo for sure!

Oh, I cut my cuts again under water. I use my sheers. I like the envelope of the Clonex (5 bucks) as you can just stick the stem in and squish the clonex up the packet and it is covered when you pull it out and I have a hole already ready, then squish again so the stem is touching dirt.

Air layering can be a great way to not only root some cuts while adding Zero stress, it also keeps your total plant count down as once a cut is removed from a plant it is a plant in the eyes of whomever.

One of the best ways is using Rock wool 1 1/2 cubes, Clonex Gel, a little Saran wrap, and a means to tie the ends.

The only downside [if there is one at all] is that you need to have a good size mother to be able to do it.

Take a couple of cubes, remove the plastic, and pre soak them in water that is 5.5 PH for a couple of minutes. After removing them from the water let them drain for a moment on something that will allow the bottom of the cub to breath in order to let the water flow out. Split them using a paring knife or the like "Half" way through so you can open them up to get them around the branch.

On your selected branch , ever so lightly scratch the outside layer with a sharp object [scalpel] and by using a Q-Tip dip in to Clonex gel, and apply a thin layer all the way around your branch from top to bottom about 2 inches or so.

Now place the Rock Wool over the area, wrap with the saran wrap, tie the top and bottom closed [not too tight, just enough to keep it closed] Then twist one up, kick back and smoke a phatty.

You will want to keep an eye on it and add moisture as needed, but you want to add very little and keep them just ever so moist and NOT WET. To do this I have found using a hypodermic needle works great, and be sure at this point to have the water you use PH'ed at 5.8 to 6.1.

Here is a mother all done up
View attachment user96_pic1866_1366855891.jpg

And a closer look a few weeks later.
View attachment user96_pic1867_1366855891.jpg

Once your roots have developed and are trying to escape, cut the branch as high as you can and transplant.

Two weeks later, boom you're ready to flip.
View attachment user96_pic1868_1366855981.jpg

Best of luck, and if you decide to give it a go, keep us posted on your progress.

*Disclaimer, Pictures used in this tut are not mine and credit should be given to my boy GeneralGrievous.
:vap-leafy_wave:

That is totally cool. I absolutely need to try this.

Thanks for that great tutorial PJ. I have never done air layering before, I think that I will give that a shot. When you say "cut the branch as high as you can", do you mean cut it up close to the bottom of the rockwool cube as possible? Do you think rapid rooters would work (I have those on hand, rockwool, I am out of and need to order)?

Thanks everyone for sharing. I think this will be the surest route to success.

Thanks PJ for the post and photo's. Awesome :aok:

7greeneyes there are no strains that are hard to clone have you tried Multi's baggie method, i take cuts and never lose any and im talking over the years in the thousands now.
Use a rooting gel as i have used olivias hormone and that was the only time i was unsuccessful in my cloning attempts.
How long do you give them to root on average mine usually take a week to ten days.
Btw PJ Jammers that method is superb and i shall be doing that from hereon in.
Mrnice

I've been cloning for 15 years now...

with much success....

I give my plants two weeks w/o even touching them physically, just keep them hydrated while they do their thang below.

I've been contemplating switching to a gel tho....

Indica's have a predisposition for being bears to clone...

Thanks for the post/sharing, mrnice.

On A Sidenote: I've never clipped the top leaflet tips in half to help promote rooting because I never have had much of a problem. Maybe these grandoggies need that extra step to induce rooting.

Another step I've been considering is doing a EDIT: (two week) etiolation to the donor node site before I take my cut. The darkness is said to aid the would be cutting so that it roots better, nvr tried it tho.

Here's a dissertation on the usage and benefits of etiolation on differing plant species for adventitious rooting: http://www.hort.cornell.edu/uhi/research/articles/IntPlantProp34.pdf

I'm wondering what everyone else does when they have a hard-to-clone varietal that they want to keep in clone form?

That's what I'm thinkin' too, Rose. Just do a whole tray full o chemdog. The others can wait.

Sounds like a plan. In rosedom cloning is a 50% success rate. I seem to need to cut three to get two good ones. Sometimes i get all sometimes i get one.. Mostly two though. And they look so dead before they come back... so dead. lol

White root mojo 7!

this cloning thing i got a lot more to learn before i even attemp trying the procedure first of all where would i pick up a scapel i have all the gel and stuff which came with my technaflora kit it has all the things you need to seceed everything except the scapel and useing a needle sounds like a brilent idea. 888 can anyone point me toward a scapel?

You don't need to use a scalpel--any very sharp implement will work, like a razor blade, a box cutter blade, or an exacto knife blade. Just make sure it is sharp and sterile.

yeah I know I didn't but I do just to keep a sterile environment. I've used everything from straight razor boxcutters, to old scissors, to almost clinically sterile conditions.

Plus I bought like a 20 box, so....lol...

I'm going to 50/50 this Chemdog. Take half the plant as clones and air layer the other half of the plant.

Thanks for posting Rose and Goddess. As always you gals rock!

this cloning thing i got a lot more to learn before i even attemp trying the procedure first of all where would i pick up a scapel i have all the gel and stuff which came with my technaflora kit it has all the things you need to seceed everything except the scapel and useing a needle sounds like a brilent idea. 888 can anyone point me toward a scapel?

This is where I went. I picked up the #11. Straight-edged blade, perfect for scoring and cuts.

woops correction: http://www.ad-surgical.com/medical_uniblade-scalpels/#.U62ah_ldW3s

yes, but it doesn't hurt either, multi.

Like I said I've used scissors, box knives, any bladed item you can think of.

Scalpels as well as everything else for growing can be ordered online, so I do :)

Thanks for that great tutorial PJ. I have never done air layering before, I think that I will give that a shot. When you say "cut the branch as high as you can", do you mean cut it up close to the bottom of the rockwool cube as possible?
Yes.

Do you think rapid rooters would work (I have those on hand, rockwool, I am out of and need to order)?

So the only thing with the Rapid rooters I have noticed that differs from the Roockwool is they dry out faster. So long as you were to stay on top of it, I am sure they will work.

Give err a whirl and let us know how it does.
:)

I'm wondering what everyone else does when they have a hard-to-clone varietal that they want to keep in clone form?
Personally, I hit one with my best stud at the time and find a better her later down the road.

There is no strain worth the hassle for me. Buh bye.
:)

Latest posts

Back