alittle light is ok, right?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallslim

Reaction score
when a plant is asleep, doesn't endure light from the moon. so what constitutes has too much light?

I used to have a chart somewhere. but the moon is hardly anything in the terms of photsynthesis. Any light leaks are bad. Although I've worked on plants during the dark period with a low wattage incadescnet several feet away not do anything. wrong spectrum and low lumens.
I've heard of some people using green incadescnet bulbs as that spectrum is reflected off the plant. but I would still try to avoid like the plague any light or activity during the off hours.

Keep the light out, Your plants like there rest if you have a bad leak or something they might want to go back to veg again. I don't think they will shock but safe than sorry. Keep them babies nice!!!!

I shoulda put this in my first reply. Light leaks=hermies. ;)

Mutt, I was called to repair a timer dring dark time and the grower had a green incandesant bulb going in the room when I got therehe said they don't notice it and the bud was delightful, but there were no leaks of lite from outside. Don't think I'd leave a lite on green or otherwise AY?

yes you can use green light bulbs in your grow area b/c short day pants do not respond to the green of the spectrum.

seemorebuds302 said:
yes you can use green light bulbs in your grow area b/c short day plants do not respond to the green of the spectrum.

That's a popular misconception seemorebuds. The fact is:

"Because of the reflectivity of chlorophyll (A) much green light is reflected away from the plants receptors, but almost half of the available green wavelength is absorbed and used in photosynthesis. Dr. Hershey is considered the authority in this area of study."

For the entire thread this was extracted from: CLICK HERE

Now, what level of green light and specifically what part of the green spectrum the light is will make a difference in the amount that is sensed by the plant. The strain of the weed and many other factors must be considered as well.

Over all, I make it a practice to NEVER use light of any kind in my flowering rooms when the lights are off. Better safe than sorry.

The design of a grow room should take this into consideration. Everything should be designed to allow you to NOT enter the area except during light usage. My reservoirs and power sources are all exterior to the grow areas. The grow chambers and lights are the only thing in my grow room.

huh dude thats really interesting cuz i saw on george cervantes ultamate grow dvd he said you can use green and i just picked up gardening indoors by george van patten and it said the same thing infact i quoted it in my last responce. I would think cerventes would know that????:confused:

seemorebuds302 said:
huh dude thats really interesting cuz i saw on george cervantes ultamate grow dvd he said you can use green and i just picked up gardening indoors by george van patten and it said the same thing infact i quoted it in my last responce. I would think cerventes would know that????:confused:
If you research Dr. D.R.Hershey and then use "Green spectrum" as another search in the results of the first search, you'll discover that he is prompting all of the people who write text books to change the information in them to include his findings. His research has been proven. It's no longer being verified, it is verified.

Even some of the top universities are teaching this topic incorrectly. It's not surprising that some of the people selling DVDs and books haven't updated their own information.

Now, it goes way beyond "Plants use Green Light". The part of the green spectrum and the intensity of the light also have a lot to do with the use of the light.

Also, with weed, it depends on the strain of the weed, it's health, it's age, it's transpiration rate, light, nutes and other factors.

During flowering, MJ produces a chemical that promotes the flowering and how the flowering happens on each part of the plant. This chemical is light dependant. (Without digging it up, I don't remember the name of the chemical. If you want to know it, I can find it for you.). If light of an amount that can be used by the plant reaches the surface of the plant, it will cause changes in the flowering cycle. If that light reaches the surface of the plant in significant amounts during the "dark" cycle of the day, and lasts long enough, the plant will "see" the light and will alter it's flowering chemicals to adjust to the "new" season.

This can cause the interruption of flowering in the worst case to causing a Hermie or delaying the completion of the flowering cycle in the best case.

The intensity of the green light is the key factor in this. You may be able to use a dim green light with no harm, but it would be your experiment. It may screw up your grow.

I would suggest NO light during darkness cycles each day of the flowering cycle. Better to be sure than sorry.

Good luck to you man.

The way I see it...when those lights go off for the night. Thats it. There is nothing in there I can't live without until the morning. Light leaks, "hermies", I speak from my last experience. :eek:

GreenDayGirl said:
The way I see it...when those lights go off for the night. Thats it. There is nothing in there I can't live without until the morning. Light leaks, "hermies", I speak from my last experience. :eek:
I hear you GDG, I had a small light leak during my last grow of Big Bud and the plant that was on the side of the light, Hermied bad. The other three plants were safe tho because of the density of the jungle. Wheeeew!

The potency of the hermied bush didn't seem to suffer much, if at all. Just a mess of hermied seeds to deal with.

Where the heck have you been keeping yourself? I hardly see you post any more! I miss your sense of humor and insight on weed.

Stoney Bud said:
If you research Dr. D.R.Hershey and then use "Green spectrum" as another search in the results of the first search, you'll discover that he is prompting all of the people who write text books to change the information in them to include his findings. His research has been proven. It's no longer being verified, it is verified.

Even some of the top universities are teaching this topic incorrectly. It's not surprising that some of the people selling DVDs and books haven't updated their own information.

Now, it goes way beyond "Plants use Green Light". The part of the green spectrum and the intensity of the light also have a lot to do with the use of the light.

Also, with weed, it depends on the strain of the weed, it's health, it's age, it's transpiration rate, light, nutes and other factors.

During flowering, MJ produces a chemical that promotes the flowering and how the flowering happens on each part of the plant. This chemical is light dependant. (Without digging it up, I don't remember the name of the chemical. If you want to know it, I can find it for you.). If light of an amount that can be used by the plant reaches the surface of the plant, it will cause changes in the flowering cycle. If that light reaches the surface of the plant in significant amounts during the "dark" cycle of the day, and lasts long enough, the plant will "see" the light and will alter it's flowering chemicals to adjust to the "new" season.

This can cause the interruption of flowering in the worst case to causing a Hermie or delaying the completion of the flowering cycle in the best case.

The intensity of the green light is the key factor in this. You may be able to use a dim green light with no harm, but it would be your experiment. It may screw up your grow.

I would suggest NO light during darkness cycles each day of the flowering cycle. Better to be sure than sorry.

Good luck to you man.

thanks for the info stoney, very interesting.

seemorebuds302 said:
thanks for the info stoney, very interesting.
My pleasure seemorebuds. I love growing weed and helping others to do so.

Good luck to you man!

Latest posts

Back