All Plants came from dirt, to hydro.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KADE

Aero Lord
Reaction score
So like the title says. All of these plants are coming from soil at the start. Either full grown pots or dixie cup cloning. I'm posting the first 2.5 weeks growth today... then I'll carry on live for the rest of the grow.

We'll see if Kade can revive some ph dying soiled plants. In the 3rd post.

This grow is also taking place in a homemade pvc contraption I built a month ago.. and in a new growroom.

So this is how a lot started... lil cuttings... some were only in the humidome for 3 days.. then I got fed up (because everything needed to be moved to the new room) so they went right into hydro. The ones I'm talking about are the greenest of the bunch.

So these are the not even rooted cuttings... some were dying.. all made it... they were all taken from a ph locked mother plant.

01.jpg
02.jpg

First week was just plain phed water... with some 1/4 strength or less DNF Green added to the res to help w/ rooting and getting the green back in the leaves.

After the week of plain water they all took very well. Where they showed nothing happening under the humidome they blossomed under the hps.

This is a week later using 1/2 strength DNF Gro A+B, DNF Black, and DNF Green.

03.jpg
04.jpg

'subscribing'

What kind of method is that? Aero? Drip? Please elaborate, I love custom stuff.

Had a little upset one night. I was playin some xbox360 online.. killing some time... then during a lull in the gaming I noticed my pump was louder sounding then normal.. I thought the water might need to be touched up a bit..... it did.

A drip hose somehow fell out of one of the spare pots and decided to pump around 20 liters of water on my floor... this wasn't THAT big of a deal.. it dried overnite... my RH never went above 40... the only problem was that my ph meter was also on that floor... and got soaked...

The PH pen died... and it was on a weekend... nothing was open to get any sort of ph test strips or nething... So thas why you'll see some of the leaves are a nice SUPERDARK green with a superyellow in them.

So now we are on week 2. Full strength nutes DNF Gro A+B, DNF Black, DNF Gold.

I have some ph testing drops right now that i'm using until I get my paycheque next week to go on ebay and get a new one. They are comin back around nice now... not too big of a deal...

05.jpg
06.jpg

I'm not sure what you'd call the setup... I suppose it is a drip... however.. I have it so the roots dangle in the air nice... and of course u have the nutes running back through the plumbing... so a drip/aero/nft.... and hell... if the roots grow into the res (which they will) it'll be a DWC too. =) The best of all the worlds.

So I thought I'd setup a nice lil thing underneath my flower table for clones and a foot of veg growth.. as some of u know I wanna be putting 5 plants into flower every couple weeks.. a constant harvesting thing goin on.

I go into my old grow cabinet... and HOLY CRAP... u'd never believe it... 5 plants in there... haven't been watered for hell knows how long... hardly any leaves... skinny lil things... soo rootbound it wasn't fit.

Here is a pic of some... they are in rough shape.. can ya tell?
07.jpg

These plants were all in dirt. I clipped off the dead leaves... anything w/ a lil green left was left alone... I washed out the dirt the best I could... surrounded the surviving rootmass with rockwool (for a pre-filter against leftover dirt through my pump) and stuck a dripstake in them.

This happened yesterday (nov16)

Today is the 17th.. the 13th day of growth with the original starting plants...

I have one plant that I didn't forget about too much... I just took her from her gallon pot and put her into a 3 gallon. She is currently 30 inches tall. I'll post pics of her once in a while too.

08.jpg

Any questions, pics or nething else u wanna know? Just ask on here and I'll try to reply in a timely fashion.

Start of the 3rd week of veg... full strength.. DNF black/gold/GroA+B.
I just noticed I have enough veg nutes left for 2 more weeks of veggin for this batch... so dec1st I plan on switching to 12/12. Until then, straight 24/7 light.

So good news... got all the lil water and fitting leaks hunted out and fixed on my new lil setup... ph problems haven't been existing since I figured out how to use those ph test drops I'll be ordering a new ph pen tomorrow or wed... and new growth showing on the back from the dead plants I found in my old grow cabinet. I'm interested if they will all hermie or not. So kind of an experiment of sorts.

05.jpg

Since Ive been around most days I've been shutting the pump off by hand... 15 on 15 off... or when I think of it... increased root mass by a huge factor.. and growth increase as well.

07.jpg 06.jpg

I took a clone from each plant today.. from the lower branches.... usually a branch that was shading certain parts of the plants... this will be the 2nd row outta the 5 total I have... when the other plants are 10 days into flowering I plan on throwing them in... and keep going.

Also moved the largest of the 5 main plants to the outside... and the smallest to the middle to hopefully give her a lil boost to catch up a lil.

Here are a couple pics of the main five I started with.
01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg

Next update will most likely happen when I give them their saturday flush.

Whats up KADE. Everything is looking great. Man those babies got some serious root systems don't they. ;) Keep up the great work man. :aok:

Yeah not bad... can't really see how long they are tho... I had some job getting all the roots back in safely! haha

I'm really impressed with the DNF line...slight nute burn 2nd day of changing nutes at full strength... but only in the smaller plants.. either way.. they always grow outta it.

Made a cloner today... went to wallyworld and got a 10 gallon container... airpump.. 2 bendy airstones.. gangvalve... cut 5 holes in the lid sat in 5 net pots.. put some flouros close over the top and BAM.. done. =) Then I filled 3/4 of it w/ some cuttings... we'll see how it works in a few days I guess!

Also woooo found some thrips... I've noticed lil bugs around once in a while... nothing big imho... but I might as well get rid of them now instead of when they get more plentiful and start killing plants.

If anyone knows some surefire quick effective ways of killin the suckers... or even a simple sure that works over time... (perhaps tanglefoot?) lemme know.
Please post any thoughts on the thrips death in http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7456 as not to fill my journal w/ junk! =)

I'm really impressed with the DNF line...slight nute burn 2nd day of changing nutes at full strength... but only in the smaller plants.. either way.. they always grow outta it.

Well, I'm impressed that you've stuck to it and brought these plants back from the dead.

With overnuting tho... i agree that as the plant matures the increased nutrient need will balance things out, but why wait?

For me, everytime I've overnuted it's resulted in growth slowdown. I don't think I ever hit full str with the Canna, maybe 50-70% tops.

I just did a res change and only upped the PPM by 200. Man, by last night I could see two of the four getting 'pruned out' ; a sign they are just too dry. By this morning I could see a few fan leaves curling. Keep in mind that the signs of advanced overnuting (yellowing/browning of the fan leaves, crumbly nute deposits) had not even begun to show up.

Even so, it was enough for me to do a complete nute change/flush and drop it down 100.

There is this theory that's percolated here, and before on OG that we need to 'push the pedal to the metal' on nutes and give them until the plant is showing signs of overnuting.

Anyways, not specifically singling you out or trying to be negative. I support what you're doing.

Just interjecting my experience which has been tempered by more episodes of overnuting than I'd care to count. LOL...

[note; I thought this was such a good topic I took some example pics. I didn't want to hijack your thread so I posted them on mine]

I totally agree on the slowdown... but I only see a slight discoloring for one day. After that things go as usual... I'm following the DNF schedule. If a plant isn't rooted enough then it'll show a little burn.

Once plants get around 6-8 inches tall they'll take nutes all day long at full strength. At least skunk#1 does... WW was more finicky last time i grew it for me tho.

Even when I take cuttings (always from the bottom branches.. i dont like splitting tops unless i need the room) I do not see any growth slump at all. I make sure the plants are full of water b4 taking cuttings also.
I found out lastnite that most dead patches are from a lil crew of Thrips... so I got a bottle (the last one actually) of end all and gave em a good dose. I'll continue every 3-4 days and see how that does.

Those 1/2 dead plants I m trying to revive are showing lots of new growth... starting to turn towards the light and starting new root growth. It isn't that I want to save them.. I don't expect to get much from them... but I'm just interested if they'll all hermie or not... cuz THEY WERE STRESSED... thas for sure.

Bought myself some Safer's EndAll today... only had the spray bottle kind.. which I didn't want... but the only other option I had was to drive for an hour... anyways... one application and all Thrips are gone... BAM! They are pretty weak hearted pests. I'll do a couple more applications a week apart or so... just to make sure they r all gone.. but looks good. Aside from the lil bit of residue left on the leaves... the plants imo look happier and more healthy already.

KADE said:
Bought myself some Safer's EndAll today... only had the spray bottle kind.. which I didn't want... but the only other option I had was to drive for an hour... anyways... one application and all Thrips are gone... BAM! They are pretty weak hearted pests. I'll do a couple more applications a week apart or so... just to make sure they r all gone.. but looks good. Aside from the lil bit of residue left on the leaves... the plants imo look happier and more healthy already.
That's great news KADE. Nothing worse than seeing your plants being eaten alive. :eek:

Yeah, I hate bugs bad enough normally... I can't imagine not being able to fend them off like a plant.

Next update for you pic lovers comes today. Once I take some and resize them all.

Ok, it has only been just over 3 days since the last update... I took a bunch of random kinda stuff. Thrips still look extinct in my room also.

New Growth showing very well on the plants that were 90% dead.
newgrowth1.jpg newgrowth2.jpg

I took a few clones last update...
someclones.jpg

Day b4 yesterday nite I whipped up a new veggin/cloner.
mynewcloner.jpg

But here are the mature girls.
thelineup.jpg closeup.jpg fromabove.jpg
The biggest plants of the bunch have something around 12-15 branches/bigtops

And finally... the reason you put fans on... so u get some thick wood started to hold up the buds.
thewood.jpg

Yeah, I like that stem! I agree with a lot of air circulation.

Zarnon said:
Yeah, I like that stem! I agree with a lot of air circulation.

I run a 18" floorstanding osc fan 24/7 on high right from germination... it never hurts them.. they love it.

KADE said:
I run a 18" floorstanding osc fan 24/7 on high right from germination... it never hurts them.. they love it.

Incredible pics, can't believe you saved that plant. You definately know your hydro:clap: .

I feel the same way about fans, for another reason I read. 'Wind' would hypothetically help control pests. I've read about it slowing down the travel of spider mites, and helping to keep surface soil dry, etc. I found it interesting after reading your situation that apparently, doesn't work to well on thrips.

Elephant Man said:
I feel the same way about fans, for another reason I read. 'Wind' would hypothetically help control pests. I've read about it slowing down the travel of spider mites, and helping to keep surface soil dry, etc. I found it interesting after reading your situation that apparently, doesn't work to well on thrips.

It works very well on thrips... they are very small and light... you'll spread them through the plants... but they don't multiply fast at all w/ the fan on... I've had them for months.. but never noticed nething happening to the plants... until the day i mentioned it... I realized that "hey, this isn't heat burn, the tops are not warm" and looked closer and there was a bunch all over. That 'end all' kicked their asses tho. Lately at nite I've been turning the fan off so I can sleep a lil better. The floorstanding fan is louder then the vortex...

I find hydro VERY easy to control and change things when u need to compared to soil. Soil is more forgiving... until u get buildups or ph problems... then u can't fix them quickly enough b4 damage hits. In 8 days I'm switching to 12/12... so the plants i "saved" probably won't yield anything basically... but if i have em... why not throw em in if i have space? 1 gram is 1 gram... 10 grams is 10.

Today I sprayed again for thrips... I looked and looked over the plants and could only find one larvae.. and one egg... but i sprayed them all down anyways. Better to deal with them now then when in bloom imo.

The girls are still on full dose DNF Gro A+B, DNF Black, and DNF Gold.
Took a bunch of cuttings yesterday... ~15 or so... can't even notice.. the missing leaves seemed to of helped light penetration as plant growth didn't slow down at all.. and they all look more bushy this morning.

1.jpg 2.jpg
3.jpg 4.jpg

Latest posts

Back