Aluminum Foil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hungarian Gypsy

Cosmo Kush is the best!
Reaction score
I used foil as a reflective additive for my first grow. I personally think it works. Cuz on this second grow, I'm not using foil and they are growing slower than the first grow. Nothing else changed. Everything from the soil to the containers. Do you think reflection methods work? If so, which side should I use? I visited a website that said use the dull side.:confused: I always thought it was the shiny one.
Thanks

Do not use foil, it does more harm than good, it does no good at all.

Yeah, what dman said, don't use it.

Reflective material does make a difference, but a flat white paint or Mylar work way better than foil. If I remember correctly, Titanium white paint (expensive) is the best, then Mylar, flat white paint. Personally, I use flat white paint.

hey gypsy.. I've only been growing outdoors for a tad over 30 years, but have "NEVER" used, nor heard of reflective material being used there..:confused2:.. :p

(Just 'bustin' yer hump'... for putting it in the wrong section :))

BUT.... if you check the stickies, either in the "indoor" section, or possibly the "lighting" section, you will find charts showing the reflective properties of various materials.
"Foil" is for the bbq.. NOT for your grow room...;)

Flat white paint wld be a better choice....jmo

since my walls are already white (flat), I don't need to do the dumb foil idea. BTW: if you watch King of the Hill you've heard this before:

- ssshhhhii - shhaaaaawwww - I think it means a good thing. Dale is in total control during those scenes............Right? ROTFLMA!!! :woohoo:

dman1234 said:
Do not use foil, it does more harm than good, it does no good at all.

I'm afraid that is just not true.

Foil isn't as good as plain white paint but there is nothing wrong with it and no it doesn't cause heat spots as that is something that has just been parrotted on cannabis forums but has no basis in fact.

Rockster said:

Foil isn't as good as plain white paint but there is nothing wrong with it and no it doesn't cause heat spots as that is something that has just been parrotted on cannabis forums but has no basis in fact.

Im with Rockster on this, "now back in the day" I used dull side out and did not have an issue with it. its better than nothing.

i have to disagree, flat white paint is nothing, and its better than foil.

I have used white copier paper ........ tape it to the wall..... makes any color of wall white....... you can even write yourself a reminder on it. cheap too!

Rockster said:

Rockster is totally correct. Check out the Reynolds (manufacturers of Al foil) site if you don't believe it. Al foil is almost as good as Mylar. 95% reflectivity. Just a pain to put on because it wrinkles . . . Mylar is easier.

Flat White Paint never fails.
no muss no fuss. I put on Kilz primer base or use Kilz one coat product. Has mildew resistant.

Even Mylar blows around from your fan(s) and becomes dirty and is difficult to clean, FLAT WHITE!!!!

Latest posts

Back