Am I watering wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Texas. With fabric pots I have to water every day.🔥🔥🔥
That's what I'm catching here out of people's comments, that fabric Pots need to be watered a lot more. I also have a dehumidifier running in the basement so it stays around 45% RH. In total there are four fans running in the basement. Two fans blowing on my flowering plants, one large box fan expelling heat from the tent and one fan blowing across the plants that are in pre-flower.

Not now because my tent is full with flowering plants. They will be moved in there as soon as those are finished up. Right now I have them in my cool bin but I do have a fan blowing across them. It is about 80° to 85° where they're at. I actually just went down and dumped a half a gallon of water on each plant.
OK so they are in you're basement outside of a tent with no ventilation. The humidity must be very high, mold and mildew is an invitation to every bug, spider, ant. Environment is very important.

OK so they are in you're basement outside of a tent with no ventilation. The humidity must be very high, mold and mildew is an invitation to every bug, spider, ant. Environment is very important.
The humidity in my basement is 45%, I keep a dehumidifier running 24/7

That's what I'm catching here out of people's comments, that fabric Pots need to be watered a lot more. I also have a dehumidifier running in the basement so it stays around 45% RH. In total there are four fans running in the basement. Two fans blowing on my flowering plants, one large box fan expelling heat from the tent and one fan blowing across the plants that are in pre-flower.
Fabric defiantly needs a good watering because the root Zone is drying from 360 degrees as well as vertically where as plastic your only disipating moisture vertically. This is also a potential negative if you "under water from Center out" because if the exterior medium is not getting wet your creating a dry dead zone around the roots. This is why I "try not to let the plant tell with the leaves it needs water".

Also I fill bottoms of bags with rocks to create separation of the root zone from the pot allowing for air under the plant as well. (Large perlite rocks"growstone"or lava rock would work any thing porous for airflow.
The fabric can not breath if its flat on floor and filled with wet dirt the bottom of the pot will always be "wet in theory" with no air exchange. This also helps out door if u Intend to move plants for sun position helps to stop roots from growing thru bottom of the fabric and being damaged when they are moved potentially ripping roots stunting growth.

Last edited:
Fabric defiantly needs a good watering because the root Zone is drying from 360 degrees as well as vertically where as plastic your only disipating moisture vertically. This is also a potential negative if you "under water from Center out" because if the exterior medium is not getting wet your creating a dry dead zone around the roots. This is why I "try not to let the plant tell with the leaves it needs water.

Also I fill bottoms of bags with rocks to create separation of the root zo e from the pot allowing for air under the plant as well. The fabric can not breath if its flat on floor and filled with wet dirt the bottom of the pot will always be "wet in theory with no air exchange. This also helps out door if u Intend to move plants for sun position helps to stop roots from growing thru bottom of the fabric and being damaged when they are moved potentially ripping roots stunting growth.
That's good to know about not setting them on the ground because I actually have these ones sitting on a plastic pallet which kind of has a lattice work structure so they do get air from underneath. Thanks for that info because I had no idea.

Fabric defiantly needs a good watering because the root Zone is drying from 360 degrees as well as vertically where as plastic your only disipating moisture vertically. This is also a potential negative if you "under water from Center out" because if the exterior medium is not getting wet your creating a dry dead zone around the roots. This is why I "try not to let the plant tell with the leaves it needs water".

Also I fill bottoms of bags with rocks to create separation of the root zone from the pot allowing for air under the plant as well. (Large perlite rocks"growstone"or lava rock would work any thing porous for airflow.
The fabric can not breath if its flat on floor and filled with wet dirt the bottom of the pot will always be "wet in theory" with no air exchange. This also helps out door if u Intend to move plants for sun position helps to stop roots from growing thru bottom of the fabric and being damaged when they are moved potentially ripping roots stunting growth.
Spot on.

That's good to know about not setting them on the ground because I actually have these ones sitting on a plastic pallet which kind of has a lattice work structure so they do get air from underneath. Thanks for that info because I had no idea.
Ya the roots will grow thru the pot Into the soil. Even in a tent I've had roots come thru pot bottoms. Rocks are heavy but I screen soil and collect the smaller quarter sized ones and use those the bottom of the pot should be as important as the top
Me too brother. I will never go back to regular pots
Unless your running hydro plastic is as unnatural as you can get for a potting material once u try to understand the science behind growth what you dont see is the most important part of obtaining what you want to see 😉 🤔 😏 it's nice to be able to help explain things sometimes ⏲️

Do y'all think it would be beneficial to spray the outsides of the fabric pots to keep them damp when you water? What I have been doing is I've been using an old aluminum Arrow with no fletchings or knock on it so it's roughly the size of a pencil and has a pointy end and I stick it down in the soil in several spots to help water penetrate where I want it to go.

Ya the roots will grow thru the pot Into the soil. Even in a tent I've had roots come thru pot bottoms. Rocks are heavy but I screen soil and collect the smaller quarter sized ones and use those the bottom of the pot should be as important as the top
Unless your running hydro plastic is as unnatural as you can get for a potting material once u try to understand the science behind growth what you dont see is the most important part of obtaining what you want to see 😉 🤔 😏 it's nice to be able to help explain things sometimes ⏲️
I didn't put anything in the bottom of the fabric Pots but I will keep that in mind. When I did my first grow in the plastic buckets though I screened out old coal ashes and lined the bottom of the buckets with chunks so the dirt didn't just sit on the bottom of the bucket and I also drilled several holes around the bottom.

I put Perlite on the bottom and the top.
I used to use perlite then I only used the growstone brand large perlite which was more like fake lava rock. But now I feel the actual rocks rather then engineered materials works like nature. If it's not broke do t fix it. I like the rock because it allows I feel for a better draining where u can take a cup of perlite water a rooted clone and flower it out in perlite basically so I think perlite even tho porous and we expect it would work as rock but I know rocks defiantly work like rocks 😆 always more then one way to accomplish things tho

Yep. As my Dad would say,,more then one way to skin a cat.
Never skinned a cat though.😁

That's what makes the world go around. 😁

Latest posts

Back