American Express Pulls Plug on Marijuana Purchases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
If you're in the habit of using your American Express card to purchase marijuana from your local dispensary, you might want to break out that Visa or remember to bring some cash in your pocket. That's because, according to an email that began circling among dispensaries and medical marijuana activists yesterday, American Express is no longer going to permit cannabis clubs to process marijuana transactions using the card.

This news first surfaced on the website LASnark, but was rapidly picked up by medical marijuana discussion boards. The LASnark post, in turn, credits the information to the following Twitter account: @rockisagirlsbff.

Here's the rest of the alert:

Please be advised that American Express will no longer allow transactions to be processed at Medical Marijuana dispensaries.

This is a policy change made by American Express, nationwide.

Although we have absolutely no control over this matter, we apologize for the inconvenience.

We are all still able to process transactions with Master Card, Discover Card and Visa.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Be Well,

The Farmacy Staff

hxxp://tinyurl.com/3ph2vko

who the heck would purchase mmj on a CC?! MORONS deserve a good head slam. Ill pay 50 1/8 now...or 228$ next year...????hmmmmm

In Holland they are trying to pass something to make ppl pay with credit/debit card when buying in coffeshops. Paying in money is a easy way to tax evasion ;)

A lot of people do pay with their cards now in the clubs (at least in Cali), I say let all the smokers cut up their american express card and then see what their attitude is.

benevolence6gc said:
A lot of people do pay with their cards now in the clubs (at least in Cali), I say let all the smokers cut up their american express card and then see what their attitude is.

I agree 100%. I am not sure why a company thinks it should be able to tell others what they can spend their money on.

OGKushman said:
who the heck would purchase mmj on a CC?! MORONS deserve a good head slam. Ill pay 50 1/8 now...or 228$ next year...????hmmmmm

Not many, but some pay off the balance monthly, basically using the money free for the month!

If every mj smoker would quit using their cards for a couple month I bet they would change their tune.

Latest posts

Back