another 400w hps question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flight175

Reaction score
what is the optimal distance away from the plant I should have my 400w hps? that is for most growth of plants. can you put the light as close to the plants as you want aslong as there is no touching?

flight175 said:
what is the optimal distance away from the plant I should have my 400w hps? that is for most growth of plants. can you put the light as close to the plants as you want aslong as there is no touching?
Between 12 and 24 inches. ;)

If the light is vented it will make a big difference also. Is it a remote system or the built-in type?

Biffdoggie said:
If the light is vented it will make a big difference also. Is it a remote system or the built-in type?
not really sure if it remote or built-in. could you explain to me what those are?

Does it have a ballast and a long cord on it that goes to a reflector/hood that doesn't weigh much or is it a square, kind of heavy box with the light on one side and a vent looking thing on the other?

i have a ballast with a cord that goes to the hood.

Does it have holes in the sides for ventilation and glass on the bottom? If so you can vent it, reducing heat and being able to put the light pretty close without such fear of burning. LIke TBG said, 12 to 24 inches is a good general rule .

Like these guys said, you want to be able to put your light as close as possible to your plant without burning it. The closer it will get, the more lumens it will absorb. But the closer you got, the hotter it will get causing burns. Like TBG said, the optimal distance is around 12 to 25 inches depending on the ventilation and heat coming out. If you have a cooling system with glass and a fan pumping the heat out of your reflector, then you can get it pretty close. Otherwise, keep it around 1 to 2 feet away. :D

Latest posts

Back