Another Dog Crosses the Rainbow Bridge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

The Hemp Goddess

I lost my oldest dog on Wednesday night. She passed peacefully and quietly in her sleep. She was 15 and the best dog I ever had in my life. I adopted her at about 12 weeks. She and her litter mates had been found abandoned on the side of the road by a friend of mine. She nursed them all back to health and found homes for all of them. Sassy was the last surviving member of her litter. She was timid her whole life and hard floors scared her because she could not get traction on them, along with loud voices, loud noises and a bunch of other things. She was probably a border collie heeler cross and incredibly healthy. She was never sick, and I really mean never--she only visited the vet to be spayed and for shots. And healthy right to the end--Wed evening she was her normal, playful, energetic self. She and her doggie sister Lucy were very close and :Lucy is missing Sassy as are the rest of us. I am sad beyond words. I do know that she lived a very good long comfortable life when she could have died in the ditch. It is just that I will miss her so.

Sassy, Bo, and Lucy relaxing on the couch. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=210247&d=1383498871

[SIZE=+1]Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... [/SIZE]

It's amazing how much our pets touch our lives, the are truly compassionate and always make us better people for living with them. Sorry for you loosing a dear friend THG.

man THG im very sorry for your loss... we put our bully down around Halloween and its still tough everyday... brings a tear to my eye...

Sorry for your loss THG. That is a really hard thing to go through.

condolences THG :(
amazing how these animals touch our lives.

wish i could say i didn't, but i know the hole you're feeling today :(

I am so sorry THG, for those of us who have loved and lost our best friends, there are really no words. She was so lucky to have you for a mom.. Big hugs.

THG,
My heartfelt condolences on your loss. Sassy, may she rest in peace. Looks and sounds like she had a life to be envied. You will see her again, as we all have to cross that bridge. I have a 14 year old dog and another that`s 10-12 years old that was rescued off the road side, in Mexico, by a trucker. Peace.

I am so sad for you THG, sounds like she had a good life.

I cried for months when I lost my last dog. There is nothing worse than loosing your best friend.

It's nice that you have more than one dog to help share the pain.

Hearts out to you and know that some day you'll be together again when you cross the bridge. I have a few friends that are going to meet me there when I arrive.

Sassy brought joy & fun to your life, she felt that was her job..animals know these things. Remember the good times, the value she brought to your home, how she always loved you no matter what your mood. She lives on in memory, she'll feel no pain, and will be waiting for you someday, when you cross over to the other side....till then, remember her with a smile

My sincerest and heartfelt condolences THG, "the stronger the love, the greater the loss".

Sorry for your loss THG. I know my 2 cats are my kids and when they eventually go the wife and I will be truly heart broken. Never easy to lose someone you love, regardless if they have 2 legs or 4.

Very sorry to hear this. I lost my dog of 13 years and was very hard on me.

So sorry to hear you lost your Friend THC I love my dogs with all my heart and dread the day I loose them or them me

Hemp Goddess,

When my old saddle mule Red died she was 33 year old.
The guy I bought her from 24 years before is a preacher now and he told me when I called to tell him about Old Red: "Jack, Red had a good life".
I know he has told people that who have lost family members and rather than think about their death one remembers them by: "They had a good life".
It made me feel a little better because everything dies. Red, Dolly may and Sugar may all had a good life. Their bones are laying all over the yard where the dogs drag them up but I said just the other day, I need to pick up all the horses bones and take the back down in the woods. I'll never have another horse and I loved them all. They all had good lives and I miss them.

The Poet...

I can tell she was a well loved pup and brought much love to you and your family.

I know she had a full happy life with you and you took awesome care of her.

Keep yer chin up lady. It's hard but it's easier if you think about all the great times you had with her.

We lost our cat that was 15 years old, it was a very sad situation. i didnt think i was so attached an cared so much for a cat, so i know how you feel. Sorry for your loss. BtL

Thg, sorry for you loss. I had a Labrador when I turned three. I had to put him down when I was 11. He had cancer. I buried him in our woods near a creek we used to play in together. That was 15 years ago. I still feel a tear well up when I pass by. He was my friend for many years. I always stagger my pets now. So I still have healthy ones as the older ones pass on. It makes it easier.

Thanks you all for all your outpouring of caring and sharing your own stories. Animals enhance our lives so much in so many ways. And boy don't we get attached to our pets. In my case, as I live alone, they are part of my family and I spend more time with my pets than I do with people.

Gantt, I always have more than 1 dog, too. I live alone and they are my friends and companions. I cannot imagine me living without a dog (or 2 or 3) in my life. I have a hard time turning down a stray and for some reason, they seem drawn to my house.

I take comfort in the fact that she lived a long incredibly healthy life and in the end went quietly in her sleep. The other dogs went through their own period of mourning. My vet told me when I had to put Harry down to give special attention to the other dogs because they would feel his loss too, and they did.

Animals never cease to amaze me. I read an article in HuffPo the other day about a dog that takes a bus to the dog park all my itself and then there is that Border Collie that knows 1000 words and seems to have some reasoning ability. Love animals!

God Bless You for you and others like you are the only chance they have!! It is so hard on me that I swear NEVER ANOTHER!! And then I remember I am their chance. My CREW is three cats, and they are lotto winners.:)

I've got three dogs and four cats in my pack. I bought one dog, and the rest ether freebies or throwaways. I couldn't imagine coming home with out them. They are all crazy. I never know what to expect. I came home the other day and a cat had turned on my hot water in the sink. It had to be on for hours.

Latest posts

Back