Another SOG(?) thread, please pop in and check..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Green Fang

You don't see me . . .
Reaction score
Ok, so running 6x Pineapple Express and 3x Tangilope in a 4.5' x 4.5' tent with two 600w HPS lights. I'm going to be using Sunshine Advanced Mix #4 in 3gal pots. They've all been topped once and are currently between 10" - 12" with less than a week before I was hoping to throw them into flowering...

My thoughts... I've trimmed up the lower portion and tried to leave the 6 - 8 main branches at the top. Also, I thought 15" should be my minimum height, what do you think? These were clones so I know the end resulting phenos and all are rather short and produce fat flowers with loads of weight and have no need for structure support (really). Would 9 in a space that big be considered a SOG even? Or is this just growing 9 plants? lol!

So since they are short, height won't be an issue.. I let these last PE and Tangilope go between 15" - 20" and they still could've went much higher. I'm trying to max out my height and general yield / filling of the tent. I've hit 20-26 whole's before, and I'd like to get past that point. 42.8 wholes would be 1GPW ratio, and I have a long way to go to get there.. but I SHOULD be able to in that dang amount of space!!

/endrantpleaseanswerandhellllllp

Count me in. I`ll find a chair in the back, fill my vape and watch the show unfold.

Having never grown this way, at this point, it`s strictly observational. Watch and learn.

I've grown 9 in one tent before, but that was in my first few months with little knowledge. I did rather well and the tent was quite packed. Not over packed and certainly not under packed. But I'm wondering where the "sweet spot" is for ratio of height to width. I feel like if I grow them out higher (since I'm like 4 feet from my max out point) if I can get more yields without crowding the tent. Basically, I think I'm having the issue almost EVERYONE does, of trying to max out ones space.

Thanks for checking in. I will be making a journal out of this I believe. For now, my current journal is rockin' and I have a harvest in less than a week :D

Harvest time is busy, busy time. My harvest will be in another 4 weeks or so. Need more lights to max out my space.

Yeah, you are pretty much just growing 9 plants in a tent. SOG grows are not topped--the idea is a lot of single cola plants. The plant density is quite a bit higher, too. SOG grows usually have 1-4 plants per sq ft.

I don't necessarily think there is a "sweet spot" for the height to width ratio. A lot of it will be strain related. Some strains do not like to be topped at all--they grow best when grown as a large single cola plant. Some strains need to be topped, fimmed or supercropped because they grow tall and willowy. Some strains grow short and bushy naturally and do not need much if any training. Then your individual grow room conditions come into play and the way individuals prefer to grow. I really do not do many SOG grows as I personally believe that I get more yield when I fim the plants and let them veg for longer. I think this is kind of an "each to their own thing" kind of thing.

Thanks THG! :aok:

.. but now that you know strain, lights used, space used and nute used (GH 3 Part Flora) could you (and others here online) give me your "sweet spot" for when you'd flip? I'm thinking between 15" - 17"...

The Pineapple Express that I ran did not get that tall--ie I did not see a huge amount of stretch when they went from veg to flower, so you can probably let them get 18" to 24" before you flip them. I don't think that I would top them more than once though. I am not familiar with the tangilope.

Tangilope is my prize plant right now. I'm amazed by the smell!!! It's the same stuff I smoked when the video game "Bioshock" came out, and I didn't even realize it until I could start doing the scratch n' sniff. Then I'm like "oh it's Bioshock bud!!?!" hah

But yeah, the PE is all extremely short, with extremely fat flowers! Loads of smell and resination! I also was thinking of letting them get as large as I could manage before flipping. The Tangilope gets a bit taller, but I have no problem with raising the PE's to the Tangie's size.

@Umbra: Oh wow. What was your experience? What strain / method did you use? I figure, since I topped once that 9 (your number just in half) would work very well and hopefully I can FILL the tent again. :)

Ended up sending them to flowering at 15" - 17"

6x Pineapple Express
5x Tangilope
1x Critical Sensi Star

So yeah, I went with 12 plants in my 4.5'x4.5' space, with two 600w HPS lights. WOO! Excited about this one! Everything was topped once, and the Crit SS was majorly trained lol. Did 3 rows of 4 and it's filling the space wonderfully! So happy.

I did Mosca's C99 bx. It turned out great. I did it in soil organically using 1 gal air pots. I also ran 2x 600w hps. Yield was 3oz or so per plant.

Wonderful Umbra! Thanks for checking back in :aok:

I have a feeling I'm creating a forest this run lol

I'm with you Dr. my dude.. I've got limited vertical space and I'm curious about sog and scrog as well. subscribed

If you have limited vertical space then scrog is the best way to go to get solid yields in a lower, controlled height. It is very easy to do, but takes a little longer to get the scrog right before flipping them to flower. The key is to veg them to the height that you want then set them in flower space and set the screen right down to the tops and then as the tops grow, you just bend them over and tuck them under the screen. You continue to "veg" them in the flower space under 24hrs of light so that they can grow and be tucked under the screen repeatedly until the screen is about 3/4 full of leafy growth. At that point you flip the lights to 12/12 but continue to tuck new growth under the screen until you see buds developing. At that point, you let the bud growth begin to grow up through the screen. They will only get so tall as they fully develop, typically about 1 foot above the screen.

My 12 that I'm running in my 4.5x4.5 are filling the tent out nicely. I can see how another row of 4 (making it 16) would be pretty nifty... but I already hate watering so many bins! lol!!! If I could plant like two, or something, in a 15 gal tote, that would be optimal....but I believe one tends to "rob" the other when done that way yes?

I would go with bigger totes and drop 2 in each. I would use 18-20gal totes. As long as you keep them growing away from each other, they should do fine. They only seem to compete for light if they are allowed to grow over each other. You should make an automated watering system that you can go and fill with water and turn it on, allow it to water all of them (while you do other stuff) then turn it off when its done. You should have the pumps and watering heads and hoses. It'd be pretty easy to set up and then you can figure how much water you normally use and put that in the reservoir to water them. :)

I've considered setting up a res and a digital timer (for 1 min increments) and doing a drip system.... but that's another beast lol. I've factored in a few things and everytime I consider it, I don't end up doing this watering system lol

Cheers for chiming in HP! Hope you're right as rain good sir! :aok:

Latest posts

Back