Any auto mechanic/grease monkeys?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Music
Reaction score
My wife has a 2006 Hyundai Elantra and both her break lights and third break ight are all out. I checked all the fuses and they are all good. I wld love to avoid bringing this car to the dealer because warranty is up and I wld hate to pay a cpl hundred bucks for something I cld fix myself.

Any ideas? Thanks

Could be the brake switch, if your lucky it is, its prob under 20 bucks i think, if you have a meter you can ohm it out to see if its the cause.

Did you check the connections to the lights?
Thats where Id start anyway. Find the light wires and follow them as far as you can.

SPEARCHUCKER said:
Did you check the connections to the lights?
Thats where Id start anyway. Find the light wires and follow them as far as you can.

Yeah I checked the bulbs and what not....figured there was no way all three burnt out at the same time.

dman1234 said:
Could be the brake switch, if your lucky it is, its prob under 20 bucks i think, if you have a meter you can ohm it out to see if its the cause.

Thanks and yeah I am figuring I will need to go buy a meter to check the lines. Wld hve bet the farm it was a fuse.

Thanks guys.

the brake switch should be easy to see, get down and look under the dash its usually a phsical switch the the pedal arm contacts to turn the brake lights on, if it is the issue, you can fix it in 5 mins, with a new one ofcourse.

dman1234 said:
the brake switch should be easy to see, get down and look under the dash its usually a phsical switch the the pedal arm contacts to turn the brake lights on, if it is the issue, you can fix it in 5 mins, with a new one ofcourse.

Thanks dman....I am banging out sick Friday so maybe I can get to it then.

BigO said:
check the ground , Also check the fuse with a multimeter.

youtube.com/watch?v=PZcD3sj8e5g

Thanks BigO.....will do.

Yeah, did you actually put a new fuse in? Or just look at the fuse and think it's still good? (from experience of a simple mistake, and 4 hours of work tearing apart, then putting back together). Multi-meter would be the surefire answer. That's how I caught my mistake. GL hammy.

ston-loc said:
Yeah, did you actually put a new fuse in? Or just look at the fuse and think it's still good? (from experience of a simple mistake, and 4 hours of work tearing apart, then putting back together). Multi-meter would be the surefire answer. That's how I caught my mistake. GL hammy.

Thanks stone-loc.....looks like I will be picking up a multi-meter this weekend.

Thanks everyone.

Well looks like you got it handled prob. I would check my grounds as stated above first then most likely the switch like dman said. Good luck hammy.

When I seen the post title I thought I had it handled (thinking you actually meant dirty work under the hood) the electrical is a lil more rough on me lol.

Hammy, be careful with that Lighting. I drive a Sonata, and my wifes friend has the same as I do. She had almost the same thing going on. Multi-bulbs going out on it, replaced with some generic/off brand bulbs... It burned out a bunch of wires and the brand new bulbs as well. I have been fortunate, not to have that problem, but I have had other strange things go on way too early in the cars life. I just bought a manual for it, and it was worth the $20.

Stoneage said:
Hammy, be careful with that Lighting. I drive a Sonata, and my wifes friend has the same as I do. She had almost the same thing going on. Multi-bulbs going out on it, replaced with some generic/off brand bulbs... It burned out a bunch of wires and the brand new bulbs as well. I have been fortunate, not to have that problem, but I have had other strange things go on way too early in the cars life. I just bought a manual for it, and it was worth the $20.

Thanks for that bit of info....Stoneage.

Fuse listing...

SANY0003.jpg

Wife has 07 elantra, similar prob about a year ago and she had to get them to replace the fuses, but just my personal experience.

Hamster Lewis said:
My wife has a 2006 Hyundai Elantra and both her break lights and third break ight are all out. I checked all the fuses and they are all good. I wld love to avoid bringing this car to the dealer because warranty is up and I wld hate to pay a cpl hundred bucks for something I cld fix myself.

Any ideas? Thanks

sell it and buy a ford? :D

Geezus Hammy...:(

HOW MANY TIMES do I have to tell ya?:confused:

If ya get OFF the hamster wheel there's no longer ANY power supplied to the brake lites so duh.... they're NOT gonna work...:rolleyes:

Get back at it, bro!!! :holysheep:

:D

hammywheel.jpg

Latest posts

Back