Any Ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QBCrocket

Reaction score
Just noticed that the tips of all four plants have deformed leaves , have never seen this before any Ideas
IMG_8028.JPG
IMG_8029.JPG
IMG_8030.JPG
IMG_8031.JPG
IMG_8032.JPG

had a bit of that kind of growth coming out of my plants recently. My ph was way off . I was also giving me a couple other issues. I drenched them in some properly ph water and now the new growth appears to be normal.

Not trying to be a harbinger of doom but could it be broad mites?

I am sorry but OF and I are thinking along the same lines. Bugs.. Get a good look at the tops of those plants with a scope. I hope i am wrong. If it is something horrible like broad mites i had to use my microscope to see them, not my loupe. Good luck.

Yikes....hope not. They are very tough to detect and eradicate.

cheers guys I hope its a PH problem , will have a look see if I can detect any mites

I got all over the gals with me looking glass and did indeed find critters , not what I was expecting and not sure if they are the cause but its a start ,looks like Thrip I have had theses guys before but they normally leave small silver spots on the leaves not attack the new growth , I have given the girls a dose of insecticidal soap see what happens

Captureyy.PNG

Try some thrip shields - just an upside down paper or foam plate propped up on toothpicks, bigger than the pot diameter, with a hole for the stem to poke through. This will keep the larvae from ever making it to the soil when they drop from the plant to pupate, and does a great and cheap job messing up their life cycle!

Try some thrip shields - just an upside down paper or foam plate propped up on toothpicks, bigger than the pot diameter, with a hole for the stem to poke through. This will keep the larvae from ever making it to the soil when they drop from the plant to pupate, and does a great and cheap job messing up their life cycle!
I am Hydro no soil so I don't know where they are coming from but that is a good idea

thrips are a little less likely to become an infestation in hydro specifically because of the requirements to pupate in dirt. Sure some coco appeoaches can be considered hydro and they'd do well in that medium buy consider yourself ahead of the game already cuz you haven't built them a nice dirty nursery! They'll be much easier to eradicate!

I borrowed a 100x loupe today can see right in , still cant see the critters clearly but could see small golden dots moving around on the back of the deformed leaves , Im pretty sure its worse case Broad mites , I havnt had critter problems in 10 years of growing now in the last 12 months Ive had spider mite , Thrip and now Broad mite , now the battle begins

Last edited:
Oh #@%$!!!!

Avid. You need avid NOW.

You're not flowering yet are you? You can apply up to week 2 of flower, so you have til then to kill them dead.
It's on Amazon and it is painfully expensive and it will suggest azamax at a quarter the price; heck buy an azamax while you're at it to do a rotating treatment, but hit them with the abamectin knockout blow first!
0.5mL/L in a spray bottle (get some cheap .5ml dropper pipets, accuracy is important, you don't want to overdo it) plus one drop dish soap. It's a systemic but to work properly needs a surfactant to spread it evenly.
Wear gloves, long sleeves, and a painters respirator. If you get any on your skin wash it off fast with soap. It can lead to a rash like poison ivy.
Spray all over and under the leaves, mist the soil surface, and if you run any HID lights, turn them off and stick with low wattage stuff for a few days after each application.
Keep the bottle in secondary containment (I use a heavy ziploc), same for the sprayer and label it well, and wrap up your used droppers before disposal. You really don't want to touch this stuff by mistake.

Oh #@%$!!!!

Avid. You need avid NOW.

You're not flowering yet are you? You can apply up to week 2 of flower, so you have til then to kill them dead.
It's on Amazon and it is painfully expensive and it will suggest azamax at a quarter the price; heck buy an azamax while you're at it to do a rotating treatment, but hit them with the abamectin knockout blow first!
0.5mL/L in a spray bottle (get some cheap .5ml dropper pipets, accuracy is important, you don't want to overdo it) plus one drop dish soap. It's a systemic but to work properly needs a surfactant to spread it evenly.
Wear gloves, long sleeves, and a painters respirator. If you get any on your skin wash it off fast with soap. It can lead to a rash like poison ivy.
Spray all over and under the leaves, mist the soil surface, and if you run any HID lights, turn them off and stick with low wattage stuff for a few days after each application.
Keep the bottle in secondary containment (I use a heavy ziploc), same for the sprayer and label it well, and wrap up your used droppers before disposal. You really don't want to touch this stuff by mistake.
cheers SA 1 week into 12/12 so need to go hard , have drenched them in pesticidel soap might slow them down till I get hold of some Avid

I see what u did there you punny guy.
I did not intend that. I feel badly for QB. Never had broad mites but I fought spider mites for about a year on and off. Bugs can really ruin the fun of growing. That being said, that is a pretty good pun...

Latest posts

Back