Any successful first grows?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoneMan1000

Reaction score
Just wondering how some first grows have gone. Did anyone get decent results right out of the box? If so, I'd like to hear what strain you grew, number of plants, and yield. Also, what's the most important thing you learned during your first grow? Thanks.

I think it's all relative but my first grow was a success in my book....it seems to always be a learning experience though. First grow I learned soil is easier and more forgiving then hydro. Also learned not to buy things like DWC's and lights from online retailers until you do your research. Same goes for bean vendors...I wish I had known about Attitude and Nirvana when I first started. Jmo

I agree with hammy, success in this game isn't the same to everybody. I got real lucky my first indoor grow and got some really nice buds from some northern lights seeds. One plant did its thing and another didn't do anything, second grow was good too, same seeds. I don't remember how much I got but it was not a lot. I took a few years off until the Cali Med scene blew up and my first grow after those 2 trial runs sucked. I was tormented by every pest in the book and ended up with 5 ft tall plants and stringy airy buds. That is when I joined here and have had nothing but success since. My last grow was somewhat disappointing, I got a little over a lb. off of a 1kw hps. Great bud, but less than I'm used too getting and much less than my goal. I just try to dial things in a little more each round.

My first indoor was so simple, GH3 and KoolBloom, thats it... it was 12oz from 4 OG plants under "1 1000 watt HPS in a room the size of a telephone booth" :rofl:

Oh how i was influenced by music. ;)

But I would rank it with one of my more successful grows. It was definitely far from a failure.

*Now my first outdoor...was an utter failure.

My first few was disaster...Hell even this season will be chalked as disaster:doh:...But Ill keep at it:D

I learned about being underlit, I learned about spider mites, I learned about putting my hand under the light to feel the heat the plants feel.

I grew 1 g13 and 2 trainwreck. I think I got a couple ounces total maybe. then I learned about popcorn buds. I learned lots. Then MP, thank you MP.

I grew one unknown clone that was gifted to me, started 6 outside and 5 died, i brought the last one in to finish, probably got 4 ounces off of it, but it was huge, and i have grown ID ever since.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. I'm trying to figure out what "MP" and "ID" are (Rosebud and dman). I'm investing near a couple thousand bucks in my first grow (trying to get the right gear at the start) and I'd be more than thrilled with a solid pound (about 1/2 gram per watt).

I found a site dealing with yield and with my equipment and space it calculates I should yield 28.3 ozs.

hxxp://www.angelfire.com/cantina/fourtwenty/yor/yor.htm

Thanks!

MP is for Marijuana Passion and
ID is for indoors.

I also learned about the right lights and ventilation. There is a lot to learn and I was already a gardener. Green mojo for your grow.

My first grow was 92'. I grew Panama Red outside and feed it with swamp water only. They got massive. Didnt top or train, didnt even know about it then. I remember then being like 10-12' tall and crazy leggy, falling all over the place. I had to ask for help cause I just couldnt figure out how to keep it up before it snapped in half. Ending yield was frightening. Dont remember how much exactly, but it smoked out a entire high school of kidz at the river for my entire high school life and after. Dang, I might even have a jar of it still in the old gargage storage "hideaway" loft.

Some things I learned were,

1: Use lots of powdered dolomite lime

2: Always top or train

3: Be really close to water source

I didn't top the first one. Used whateverlight and swithed to a 400 w MH / HPS. Used MG soil, got mites and didn't check ph. It was a hash plant. Got 3 oz and tasted harsh. Learned alot and found I prefer clones.

Only 1 outdoor grow under my belt so far, and starting this OD season indoors now, but definitely found this place at the right time. 4 plants OD, I had some reveg issues due to weather, and bugs (spider mite and green caterpillar) issues. And finished my first grow with around 13 oz's. Hell, I'm still smoking it now and have plenty till Oct, so I call that a success :D

My first indoor grow with my brother/partner was with some clones from a friend in soil and DWC. Had so many challenges in trying to learn how to grow indoors and learn the plants. The first few runs were pretty lousey as we kept making different mistakes, but every mistake taught us something new and important.

The real success came with a new strain that we are still growing called Blueberry Punch from Next Generation Seeds. We are still learning this girl and she keeps getting better with every grow. She is one tough broad as she has been abused repeatedly without herming or failing, and produces MONSTER BUDs. I can't say enough good about this plant. The only thing is that the breeder called her an 8week flower and she is more like 10weeks. :)

My first grow was fairly successful in that I got a few hundred bucks worth of smokeable buds out of it. A learning experience for sure more than a fiscally worthwhile production. After having gone through a couple grows steadily producing more, I feel pretty comfortable at the point i'm at right now, especially with everyone here to help if necessary, as well as a wealth of posts outlining just about any and everything you could think of in regards to marijuana growing/consumption

My first "attempt" was with bagseed, MG soil, MG fert and all the wrong lighting. I'd not call this a serious first grow, but it was a very good learning experience that has helped to bring me to today! All that came from that attempt was hay and knowledge!

Second attempt (or first serious grow) was with a few better components....lights, nutes, soil and seeds...which ended with a 10oz harvest of some of the best smoke I've grown, stuff everyone still compares smoke to today around here

My first real grow was a huge success, i couldnt believe it, my second grow was actually much much worse than my first one.

Iron Emmett said:
My first real grow was a huge success, i couldnt believe it, my second grow was actually much much worse than my first one.

That's interesting, did you ever figure-out what changed with the second grow?

My first crop got me a big return and even got me a job as a seed shipper with Super Sativa Seed Club (SSSC).

Some credit card company made the mistake of giving me a $500 card. I used it to buy a 1000 watt light and some nutes, and I sent a seed order to the SSSC. Along with the order for some Affi-Malawi I put in an extra like $75 and included a letter describing what high I liked and told them that I was getting married soon and needed a crop to pay for it. Asked them to pick a strain for me - and they did. They sent me a packet of Durban-Chitral hybrid with my Affi-Malawi. I went out and bought Jeorge Cervantes first book ("Indoor Marijuana Horticulture" I think) and treated it like a bible for the grow. I did everything he said to do, including using "Up-Start" and even putting a rusty nail in the nute bucket 'cause it was supposed to add iron (smile).

After a 4-month cycle I harvested just under 4 oz from each of maybe 15 plants. Paid for my wedding, and sent SSSC a letter thanking them for the recommendation and explaining that they really helped me and if there was ever anything I could do... They (Kees) wrote back and asked if I'd be interested in shipping seed orders for them at $10 cash per order. I think I basically fell out of my chair in the hurry to write them back. About 3 weeks later I got a small box of edible goodies postmarked from Belgium (I think, I know it wasn't Amsterdam or Holland); which along with neato chocolates and coffees included a sealed can of soup which had maybe 20-30 balloons of seeds. A couple of days later I got an air mail envelope with a typed sheet with maybe 20 orders - and two crisp $100 bills. I never looked back and shipped a LOT of orders for them over the next couple of years. Business was very good for them... heh...

So from my first crop I got about 3.5-4 lbs, paid for my wedding, and got a killer (i.e. very profitable) job.

First crops can be very rewarding!

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
My first crop got me a big return and even got me a job as a seed shipper with Super Sativa Seed Club (SSSC).

Some credit card company made the mistake of giving me a $500 card. I used it to buy a 1000 watt light and some nutes, and I sent a seed order to the SSSC. Along with the order for some Affi-Malawi I put in an extra like $75 and included a letter describing what high I liked and told them that I was getting married soon and needed a crop to pay for it. Asked them to pick a strain for me - and they did. They sent me a packet of Durban-Chitral hybrid with my Affi-Malawi. I went out and bought Jeorge Cervantes first book ("Indoor Marijuana Horticulture" I think) and treated it like a bible for the grow. I did everything he said to do, including using "Up-Start" and even putting a rusty nail in the nute bucket 'cause it was supposed to add iron (smile).

After a 4-month cycle I harvested just under 4 oz from each of maybe 15 plants. Paid for my wedding, and sent SSSC a letter thanking them for the recommendation and explaining that they really helped me and if there was ever anything I could do... They (Kees) wrote back and asked if I'd be interested in shipping seed orders for them at $10 cash per order. I think I basically fell out of my chair in the hurry to write them back. About 3 weeks later I got a small box of edible goodies postmarked from Belgium (I think, I know it wasn't Amsterdam or Holland); which along with neato chocolates and coffees included a sealed can of soup which had maybe 20-30 balloons of seeds. A couple of days later I got an air mail envelope with a typed sheet with maybe 20 orders - and two crisp $100 bills. I never looked back and shipped a LOT of orders for them over the next couple of years. Business was very good for them... heh...

So from my first crop I got about 3.5-4 lbs, paid for my wedding, and got a killer (i.e. very profitable) job.

First crops can be very rewarding!

Beautiful story! It sounds like your relationship with your plants was more than just horticultural, as if there was a karma or almost spiritual aspect to it. I bet you never imagined that growing some plants would change/ transform your life.

Thankyou so much for relating your story. You don't know how much you uplifted and inspired me, and I thought I already was inspired. Thanks again!

I didn't say so, but yes - there was a definate 'good zen' thing happening with that crop. I think the plants were turned on by such adoration... heh...

Latest posts

Back