Anyone ever grow on a 12/6 schedule?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
I have been reading some info on people who tried running 12/6 light schedules during flowering.

This doesn't seem all that strange in that the plants need 12 hours of dark to produce the hormone that makes them flower. But, once this hormone is distributed throughout the plant, how long does it take the plant to process it? If it is only 6 hours, I guess this could make sense.

The big question I had on this topic (and no one seems to know the answer) is, "Do the plants perceive each 18 hour cycle as a "day"?

If so, this would the plants mature in 60 "18 hour days" or 60 x 24 hours?

Jorge says that growers are claiming as big or bigger yields with the 12/6 but I still can't get an answer as to the maturing time.

If the plants would produce even the same amount as a 24 hour cycle (12/12) and mature in 60, 18 hour days, this would shorten maturity time by as much as 25%

Just curious if anyone has actually done this and if they can tell me if the plants perceive 18 hours as a "day".

:)

i have read much about this lighting schedule---plants do not recognize an 18 hour day---they are a 24 hour photoperiod plant---anything less confuses the plant and will likely delay and stunt flowering---"circadian rhythms rule"

where did u find info---i would like to check it out

check out "marijuana forced flowering" by tom flowers

I have to wonder if the plants would adapt to an 18 hour circadian rhythm after several (or many) generations.

What originally got me thinking was something Jorge posted a while back on his forum and someone brought it back up recently.

I talked with Dutch and Canadian gardeners who claim their plants flower under a 6-hour dark and 12 hour light photoperiod. This expedited, 18- hour photoperiod regimen is supposed to work, but I'm not sold on it. Gardeners say that their harvest is undiminished, and that they are getting 25 percent more cannabis in the same time. I have not visited their garden rooms to verify these claims. No electricity is saved by adopting this regimen.

http://www.marijuanagrowing.com/showthread.php?1272-Photoperiod-for-flowering

Sure would be nice to have a strain that matures in 40 days or less. LOL

Didn't Clarke cover this in his book Marijuana Botany? Pretty sure he did and they might need the 12 hour dark period to induce the flowering hormones but they also need the 12 hours of light to properly create the "goodies". Any less than 12 hours of light and you start cutting into the max levels.

http://ytdj.org/PDF Library/Cannabis/Marijuana Botany.pdf

i don't buy into it either---does make for an interesting discussion tho---in addition to the orange/red light spectrum---key ingredients i guess would be strain specific---like something that originated farthest the equator and if somebody could actually verify the optimal amount of time tha strain would take to fully metabolize (lack of a better word) the dark period

another guess is the 12/12 is just an average and different strains will perform better under a different regime

another guess is the 12/12 is just an average and different strains will perform better under a different regime

You're right in that it is just a guess but what if......

If one had the time and resources, they might start breeding those strains and picking phenos that mature earlier and earlier.

30 days veg/ 30 days flower with no loss in yield. :)

Albeit, I just vaped about 5 bags from my Extreme so I am thinking anything is possible. LOL

And, just for the record, I am also, generally speaking, against this kind of thing. I like to keep it as close to Mother Nature as I possible can.

Didn't Clarke cover this in his book Marijuana Botany? Pretty sure he did and they might need the 12 hour dark period to induce the flowering hormones but they also need the 12 hours of light to properly create the "goodies". Any less than 12 hours of light and you start cutting into the max levels.

http://ytdj.org/PDF Library/Cannabis/Marijuana Botany.pdf

The only thing I found in MB is

"Drug
Cannabis production requires 11-12 hours of continuous darkness to induce flowering and at
least 10 hours of light for adequate THC production (Valle et al. 1978)."

EDIT: Nevermind. My copy didn't have a bibliography.

EDIT AGAIN:

Anyone have a copy of this study?

valle, j.r., pharmacological activity of cannabis according to the sex of the plant

Research has shown (Valle et al. 1978) that twice as much THC is produced
under a 12-hour photoperiod than under a 10-hour photoperiod

Yeah, I saw that but it doesn't apply here. The theory does not change the 12 hour dark period. Only the light period.

I have to wonder if the plants would adapt to an 18 hour circadian rhythm after several (or many) generations.

What originally got me thinking was something Jorge posted a while back on his forum and someone brought it back up recently.

I talked with Dutch and Canadian gardeners who claim their plants flower under a 6-hour dark and 12 hour light photoperiod. This expedited, 18- hour photoperiod regimen is supposed to work, but I'm not sold on it. Gardeners say that their harvest is undiminished, and that they are getting 25 percent more cannabis in the same time. I have not visited their garden rooms to verify these claims. No electricity is saved by adopting this regimen.

http://www.marijuanagrowing.com/showthread.php?1272-Photoperiod-for-flowering

Sure would be nice to have a strain that matures in 40 days or less. LOL

Yes, it would. This is kind of what the developers of auto flowering strains were aiming at. Jorge says only that he has heard of it, never seen the grows and he is not convinced. I have seen nothing anywhere or read anything that makes me believe that this works. I have seen journals where people start, but like other things that do not work out, they somehow just disappear....

I mean really, if this worked wouldn't larger commercial growers be doing it? It would really be the breakthrough of the century!

I think (according to all the reading I've done) that exhaustive studies have been performed on all light cycles pertaining to MJ growing. No stone has been left unturned. And the overwhelming evidence shows:

1. 24/0 is better than any other light cycle for veg.

2. 12/12 is better than any other light cycle for flowering.

Then, you wouldn't mind posting a link to all those "exhaustive studies"? LOL

In the reading I have done, there has been virtually no studies done on this. LOL I did find a few posts where people are experimenting but..... an exhausting study? Not.

I feel so sorry for close-minded people. ;)

One way.........

Then, you wouldn't mind posting a link to all those "exhaustive studies"? LOL

In the reading I have done, there has been virtually no studies done on this. LOL I did find a few posts where people are experimenting but..... an exhausting study? Not.

I feel so sorry for close-minded people. ;)

One way.........

It's in here:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Marijuana-Growers-Handbook-Complete-Cultivation/dp/0932551467/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416262998&sr=8-1&keywords=marijuana+books[/ame]

and here:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Marijuana-Horticulture-Outdoor-Medical-Growers/dp/187882323X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416263097&sr=8-2&keywords=marijuana+books[/ame]

and here:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Cannabis-Grow-Bible-Definitive-Recreational/dp/1931160589/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416263130&sr=8-3&keywords=marijuana+books[/ame]

I've read them all, cover to cover.

Some people will always waste time trying to reinvent the wheel. If it worked then there would be plenty of growers doing it.

Personally, I'll never make the mistake of wasting my time on you again. Starting now.

Thanks bud, I appreciate it. Maybe you could even delete that disgusting display of ignorance you posted above for me. :)

And, just FYI, there's nothing in any of those books about a 12/6 schedule but thanks for wasting your time, anyway.

And, remember, no more posting in my threads, you promised. :)

Love you, man. :)

Peace..

Some people will always waste time trying to reinvent the wheel.

Like adding bearings to it to make it better.

Otherwise you would still be pushing around a round stone.

I can't believe you people. Any new ideas frighten you to death and make you angry. LMAO

So sad. I certainly didn't expect it from you, Hamster.

Thanks bud, I appreciate it. Maybe you could even delete that disgusting display of ignorance you posted above for me. :)

And, just FYI, there's nothing in any of those books about a 12/6 schedule but thanks for wasting your time, anyway.

And, remember, no more posting in my threads, you promised. :)

Love you, man. :)

Peace..

Alright Hack, I had to come back to apologize to you for being a jerk. I still believe that my original response was correct (that 24/0 and 12/12 have been proven to be ideal), but I was a jerk in my second post. I apologize.

Good growing to you.

I hate when people are nice to me. Go back to the way you were. LMAO

Not a second thought, bud. If I apologized every time I said or did something wrong, I wouldn't have time for anything else. LOL

Peace

Is that your lab in the avatar?

Peace. For always.

That's actually not my lab, but my lab looks just like the one in my avatar.

Latest posts

Back