Anyone ever use a passive dehumidifier?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
I have occasional problems with humidity. It's OK all Winter and once the A/C goes on in Summer it's OK. However, in this "in-between" time, I get some pretty high humidity. Right now it is at 64%. I don't like it to get over 50%.

Today is raining and muggy so, naturally, the room is higher in humidity today than it normally is.

I don't really have room for a full size dehumidifier and I saw this on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Eva-Dry...256?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9053b5a0

Anyone ever use anything like this?

Hackerman I think that one is a little small, 8-10 oz of water and recharges in 12 to 14 hours. My dehumidifier is 18lL ( 4.8 gal )per 24hrs. I empty it every day in the spring,early summer to keep humidity down to 55% in my basement. Dehumidifier water is supposed to be good to use for watering.

I read the reviews on these little things and they are mostly great. Some people really put them to the test (inside a beer keg cooler) and they raved about their performance. According to what I read, this unit lasts for 1 to 5 months without being re-charged. I admit that 8-10 oz of water is nothing but the reviews indicated it works for months.

I ordered one. It's the only way to know for sure. LOL If it doesn't work in my grow room, I can put it in my safe or use it somewhere else. For $20 I have nothing to loose.

I am sure it has it's uses, I just don't think it will help your grow area unless you are growing in a beer keg cooler, just joking man. For $20 dollars give it a shot. I pull 5 gallons a day in spring and early summer, it tapers off in mid summer once the water table has gone down. My dehumidifier is not in my grow space , it dehumidifies the whole basement which is better I think than having it in the grow space.

My room is usually pretty dry. Like I said, I keep it about 50% or less. Just certain times of year when the A/C and/or heat is off is when it goes above 50%. And, mostly at night. The lights just went on and it's already down to 59% from 64% a half hour ago.

All I need is just a little kicker to keep it lower at night for a few weeks until Summer hits and the A/C goes on.

For $20, what the heck. I can try it and report.

Yes it is only certain times when humidity is high , spring and of course when it rains and when humidity is high outside. Winter it doesn't go over 30%, summer I need the dehumidifier to keep it at 55%. I hope it does what you need it to.
My AC keeps upstairs nice but it is cool downstairs so my vents are closed so the AC does not dehumidify my basement.

Latest posts

Back