Anyone heard of hydro-organic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait... Organic hydro? Im confused by this... Because this is very possible... WHy even involve soil? I mean, it's as simple as using a regular Hydro system with liquid Organic nutrients... Just mix into res as if they are powdered... Or am I misunderstanding here? Do you mean organics as in tangible fertilizers? See for me, you can buy liquid nutrients up here, and get it specifically made organic..... Is this only in my area? Or am I misunderstanding the question? Regardless, the setup you described seems like it wouldn't promote adequate growth... All parts of your roots need to be fed.. Not just the top..

I have simply not been able to find organic nutes that do well in a hydro environment...regardless of what they say. The air stones get fouled. The nute solution in the res bubbles over the top of the res and gets foul smelling way before it is time for a res change. On paper this may look good, but in practice, I personally have not been able to make it work.

Anyone can write a book and make it look any way they want. There is a book out there called something like More Bud for Less or something like that that is such a crock that it should be illegal. Another where a guy says that you can get a pound of bud in 63 days with as single plant and a 600W HPS without ever worrying about pH, even if you are growing hydro. He says there is no difference between organic and non-organic grows. In other words, with the advent of independent publishing, anybody can write anything...it doesn't have to be true. I have had a very very hard time finding any inexpensive (preferably an e- book) for a friend of mine that that recently started growing that is not full of ** and over simplification.

I will look at the link, but like I said, the entire concept seems based on some misconceptions, like only part of the roots system needs nutes and that the nutes will not get into the res, they will (among other problems). It just basically seems not workable. So much so that unless the book actually addresses these with some kind of scientific backing, I would not try it. Remember, that this guy is trying to sell books and make money. I would love to grow organic hydro. To my mind that would be the absolute best of both worlds, but I have not found anything that actually works in practice.

I have done a quick perusal of the book and noticed that this says nothing about cannabis cultivation, just hydro organic in general....

So this is a bit of a different thing. When I am feeling better and have the funds, I am going to set up a small aquaponics unit and grow organic hydro greens and then probably branch out into some other veggies. If you are not familiar with aquaponics, it is growing fish and plants together, using the water and waste from the fish tank (or an auxiliary hold tank from the fish tank) to feed the plants. In turn, the plant medium filters the water and sends it back to the fish tank. The plants do not feed the fish however, and the you must feed the fish. This will not work for cannabis because the fish water does not have the right elements for good cannabis growth and you cannot set up such a nutrient system and keep the plants, fish, and reservoirs in harmony. Lettuce is a low energy plant that like a nitrogen rich diet and is growing it is child's play when compared to keeping cannabis healthy.

I am not going to subscribe to scribe (I like Amazon unlimited a lot better), but can read the entire book well later when I have more time. Just looks like I cannot download or copy any part of it. I did notice some discrepencies just in the quick overview I did, but I will read it better.

2 different things are getting talked about. 1 is an indoor roots and the other is outdoor. This is a very big difference.

Indoor grow media is areated quite well.
Outdoor has been compacted for a long,long time.
More of the soil food web is present in the top layer, hence the most roots. The soil food web needs food, moisture, and air to thrive. This combination is not available outdoors at deeper levels until a root penetrates and allows air to join the combination.

Indoors you do not have that problem of a no air compaction layer, so the soil food web is through out the root system.

I have simply not been able to find organic nutes that do well in a hydro environment...regardless of what they say. The air stones get fouled. The nute solution in the res bubbles over the top of the res and gets foul smelling way before it is time for a res change. On paper this may look good, but in practice, I personally have not been able to make it work.

Anyone can write a book and make it look any way they want. There is a book out there called something like More Bud for Less or something like that that is such a crock that it should be illegal. Another where a guy says that you can get a pound of bud in 63 days with as single plant and a 600W HPS without ever worrying about pH, even if you are growing hydro. He says there is no difference between organic and non-organic grows. In other words, with the advent of independent publishing, anybody can write anything...it doesn't have to be true. I have had a very very hard time finding any inexpensive (preferably an e- book) for a friend of mine that that recently started growing that is not full of ** and over simplification.

I will look at the link, but like I said, the entire concept seems based on some misconceptions, like only part of the roots system needs nutes and that the nutes will not get into the res, they will (among other problems). It just basically seems not workable. So much so that unless the book actually addresses these with some kind of scientific backing, I would not try it. Remember, that this guy is trying to sell books and make money. I would love to grow organic hydro. To my mind that would be the absolute best of both worlds, but I have not found anything that actually works in practice.

ah! I see, I personally only used Organic Liquid nutes once, and didn't seem to experience any of these issues? WHat kind of brand did you use? I mean hell I just used FoxFarms Formula, and just fed threw res. As for the E-books and what not, I completely agree, I have downloaded and watched/read so many grow bibles, and how to grow this, how to do that. All of it is personal preference although some of what is said may be true, doesn't mean it's the best method...

"next", you must keep in mind that a lot of the time with growers who write these books, a lot of there "FACTS" are actually just comfortable opinions... That's why I love this forum... It's the only place you get facts from years of experienced growers, as opposed to a bunch of people who are just in reality, naive.. The only book ive every gotten anything useful from, was "George Cervantes grow bible" And even that, I felt was a bit outdated... Although all the info was very informative, some of it was just not my style of growing, which brings me back to personal preference again. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is read on this forum. And then use the books as trial and error readings. Then from there, do what makes you feel comfortable. Everyone's got their own style and techniques, all you need to know is the basics, and from there, you gotta find your muse. Of course while staying informed ;)

Fox Farm is not organic, except for one of the additives and I cannot recall right off the bat which one. But if you used Fox Farm nutes, you weren't organic.

Latest posts

Back