Anyone interested in walking me thru this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groot

Reaction score
I consider myself very lucky to have a mentor who has been helping me thru my first grows. I was so nervous about the cutdown/hanging/drying that they offered to take it from me the first time at harvest and do it for me. The intention was that the next time I would go daily to check on them and would be shown when it was time to put in containers. Well, next time for chop is tomorrow and due to the weather in my area it may be impossible to meet with my mentor for at least a week, meaning I now have to do it myself. Ugh. I am way to much of a nervous nelly. I can talk on the phone and text with my mentor but I know I will freak every minute! I am hoping some of you will be willing to provide pics/advice to get me thru this so I dont ruin my pretty girls at the 12th hour....

Groot

I am Groot. I love it. Ok relax. You don't want to be nervous. I'm at about the same stage you are. About 2 more months and I will be harvesting. I found a very good video on you tube that can walk you through it. I would recommend just watching it a few times first. Not doing anything. Then watch it and pause it as you do the steps. Your Mentor will be so proud of you for doing this. I will be as well. Best wishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbLw767_fOA

You say ready to chop,,is that because you have looked at the triches thru a microscope?

Whew, the art of the harvest/ cure is not a difficult one, most anyone here can walk you through it very effectively as the longer it takes the better the results. I would ask Dr. Greenfang, PJammers, Rosebud, The Hemp Goddess, Weedhopper, Umbra, Yooper420, Giggy
any of these people can guide you through a harvest / cure / store. Good luck and greenest mojo to the finish.

Well can we all agree that the youtube video I found is proper. I think it nails it on the head. I have 2 more months or so to go. I have a jewelers loop. My triches are clear.

Was I leading groot in the right direction? I'm facing my first harvest as well.
Thank you

Overall that will get your Buds dry.
Still need to look at your triches to make sure they are not all clear. Just because the buds look nice dont mean they are ready.

Weedhopper is right. The very first thing to do is to make sure that the plant is actually ready to be harvested. The harvest part is not really that difficult.

If your triches are clear it is not ready,,, frosty is awesome to look at but that frosty could be clear triches,,,,,,,, cloudy to amber frosty is the bomb,,and the best way to see that is with a Microscope.

I have a few plants, all put into flower the same day...about half of them have a lot of amber pistils, cloudy triches with amber heads(maybe 5-10% amber triches). The other half I am thinking can wait a few more days as the pistils are still majority white, not as cloudy triches and I am hard-pressed to find any barely-amber on head of triches.
I tried to look at some Youtube videos, and just my luck, my speaker is not working! I am not nervous about chopping and hanging, as I watched my mentor do it the first time. He explained what he did after was feel the bud for "give" everyday (said that can be 5-10 days) then when the soft give was gone he put into large plastic tote-type box and first night left the lid ajar. 2nd and third nights lid closed but opened in the morning to wick away the final moisture. Next, final manicure and put into mason jars or turkey bag. Am I remembering that correctly?

Thanks for that link Rosebud...very helpful in determining if they are ready, which I believe they are.

Well, my mentor still cant get to me because of the weather so I quit being a chicken and chopped it myself today! Chopping and hanging didnt make me nervous, it was actually fun...but still concerned if I have the conditions right. I think I'm ok (fingers crossed). I really had to rig stuff up and have to laugh, yet proud of my ingenuity. I would post a pic but dont want to be the laughing stock of this forum, lol.

we might be kind. LOL, good for you for going ahead.. I am sure you did a fine job.

Lets just say it involves a contractor-grade extention cord, a coat rack, 6 foot 2 by 4, and a closet hanging rod....perhaps I need a lesson in better planning, but hey, seems to work! Surprised I have such a nice harvest considering my fumbling along :)

As long as I dont hear a crash and thump in the middle of the night, I will consider my first step a success! Thanks for your support :)

I have every confidence that you are going to do just fine. Remember though that the color of the pistils tells you nothing about whether a plant is ready or not. You absolutely have to check the trichs with a scope that is 30x or better. And do not check them under high intensity light as you can get a false color. I like to clip a small sugar leaf and put it on a flat surface to examine it.

Other than harvesting too early, about the only other mistake someone can make is jarring them too soon and having them mold (which is horrible). There are several threads here about drying and curing.

Green mojo!

I did not know that about checking the triches under high intensity lights....hmmm....Well they definitely had amber triches, some more than others, and I figure the couple extra days of hesitation only could help :) Fingers crossed that I jar them correctly. Your comments and posts really help.

Latest posts

Back