Anyone into House music here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Do

Reaction score
Hey all.

I am a retired raver. Been into EDM of all kinds since the mid 1990s. Been to so many raves i've lost count. I've settled down a lot since then, but I still love the music. This weekend I am gonna go see John Digweed. I've seen him before a couple times at the Ultra Music Festival in Miami around 2006-2011. This will be the first time seeing him in a club setting though. I am really looking forward to it.

So how about it, anyone else into House or Trance or Break Beat?

I listen to EDM from time to time. I started going to parties in the late 90's. DnB, jungle and trance were what I liked then. I like the old school dub step. I kinda like how it's in everything now.

DnB is some good stuff to. I've seen Planet of Drums a couple time and Chase and Status once at Ultra. They both put on good shows. Not as much into Dub Step. It's ok though, in small dowses. LOL

Never once been to an actual rave, not much for crowds, but I do like me some EDM. older Pretty Lights is my favorite (have most of their anthology on my iPod at work), and most any electronica-adjacent nu jazz (more latin/afrocuban, less swing) and chillout type stuff is always a treat. Dubstep leaning more to the reggae / classic dub side (more like sly&robbie, less like bassnectar- MUCH less, ugh) . Also the instrumental stuff from jamiroquai and royksopp ( found mixed into normal albums) and mfdoom (special herbs), and that DOPE beastie boys instrumental album (new sound from way out).
I think I may be dating myself lol let's play 'how old is Stinky'. (Hint: it was a running joke on my floor at uni if anyone's roommate got sexiled, to blast beasties against the wall of their dorm room to shorten the wait. And NOT the chilled out instrumental stuff, either)
Armchair dance music for a rainy night and a phatty. Ahhhhhh.

I’ll start...since I know absolutely nothing about electronic music, I’m guessing you are younger than me...
There ya go, I’ve narrowed it down...

I'm actually curious how old the edm crowd is these days... it's been around for a good while and some of it ends up being seriously good quality music to just chill to like us middle aged tired people who are in bed by 9pm on a Friday night lol. It's definitely not *all* nightclub dance music!

So I looked up edm, electronic dance music...not in my wheelhouse I guess...my middle son on the other hand likes creating that sorta thing...

FWIW, I will be 51 next month.

Technically EDM got its birth with the group Kraftwerk. That group formed in 1969 and are legends in the Genre. I saw them once at Ultra in 2010. It was a real treat. EDM encompasses a whole slue of different styles and forms. It's much more than just Techno. Strictly speaking EDM is any musical that is primary electronic in nature. Even 1970's Pink Floyd and ELO can be considered to have big electronic influences. I for one love EMD because today's music has gotten so stale and prepackaged. At least with electronic music there is a chance of hearing something new.

Here is one that I think is really cool.

Listen to the first 3 minutes of this one ( BTW, you might want to take a hit, because this song will take you on a journey :) )
Eric Prydz - Opus

And to completely blow you away, here is the same song perfromed accusticly witha full orchestra at Tomorrowland earlier this year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back