Anyone Keep Goats?

• Thread starter The Hemp Goddess
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried keeping a few small animals ,,,a pot belly pig,and three chickens ,,my dog killed all four of them in one night ,,,I felt bad the little pig was kinda cool ,,,,,,,,ssbw

THG - Thanks for your advice on the plumbing !-- Disposal is gone and the sink is plumbed !

Someday THG me and my partner in crime/wife will visit you and Rose. Well that is if my old *** can afford it. Money is getting harder to make,damnt. Lol

I would love that WH! I hear you on the money thing, but traveling is a lot cheaper when you have friends you can stay with.

Keef, congrats on getting your sink done! I still have to finish running gas line for the stove--been putting it off--but going to try and get it done this weekend. In the meantime, we do have the microwave, an electric skillet, a crock pot, and a barbeque grill.

I'm trying to get all my outside stuff done. We have 10 days of 100+ temperatures coming. Rosebud, you must have this heat wave forecast for your place, too, don't you? Our weather seems to be much the same. It sounds like a cliche and I won't go so far as to say "...it is not the heat, but the humidity...", however that is somewhat true. We will have temps over 100, but the humidity will be in the lower teens. Somewhat like the Mohave Desert. Fortunately I have a basement if the heat gets to be too much. Love, love love having a basement.

Those of you in the heat, don't over exert yourself and stay hydrated.

My Wife loved Oregon. Her family were migrant farm workers,,and she said Oregon was her favorite state. She has been bugging the crap outta Weedhopper to take a trip and visit that state. i lived in Cali when i was a kid. My father died in Medler California when i was 11,,he was 36.
Im betting someday you will meet Cowboydawg/Weedhopper and his side kick/Pothead Wife. Lol

THG, your clones that are waiting for you are now plants.. that is good, you should be able to just plant and water when you get them. They are outside in the sun and growing well. So don't think you are too late, just think of them as vegging is Washington and flowering in Oregon. I may have your whole grow here. lol

Rose U are an angel !-- Always taking care of people !--
THG ---I hate digging trenches for any plumbing !-- We have an all electric home and I'm about maxed out on how much power I can pull for the grow without drawing unwanted attention !-- We have natural gas at the street !-- I plan to replace the electric stove --clothes dryer --and water heater with gas appliances --So I can use more power on the grow !-- Be glad when national prohibition ends ---Growing weed under these conditions task me !

Keef, isn't she just the best! One of the greatest things for me with MP was meeting Rosebud. She and Mr. RB are both just great people. Electrical usage doesnt not draw unwanted attention unless you are stealing power or not paying your bill. You should have seen my bill when I was heating with electricity, had a grow, a hot tub, and was allowing a friend to use my shed to do some welding! Your big concern is probably maxing out your amperage. Our furnace here in Oregon is gas, so running gas for the stove is not a big deal. When the water heater needs to be replaced, I will probably go with gas on that, too. I absolutely hate cooking on an electric range and have converted to natural gas or propane in the last 3 homes I have lived in. I hear you on the growing under trying conditions. I spent many many years growing under the same trying conditions. I believe that Idaho's laws may be even tougher than Texas.

Rosebud, I figured that they had gone from clone stage to real plants by now. You are such a dear for doing this for me. We have had some vehicle troubles here and the vehicle that is running good has A/C problems. That is being repaired this morning. You are only about 4 hours away now--we do need to set a date for me to visit that will work for you. Now that the kitchen is mostly back together, there are no jobs that have to be done yesterday.

My cabinet people are putting the finishing touches on the kitchen today--new lights going up in the kitchen, hallway and entry way. Then, as they are from Idaho, we are going to visit a dispensary if time allows. This little dispensary that is about 30 miles fre Idaho border gets an awful lot of Idaho dollarsd.

Is your to do list getting any smaller THG ?-- Sooner or later it'll come together !--- My next project is a new light fixture in the kitchen !--- The kitchen has an island and above it is a recessed light fixture !-- The ballast for the florescent tubes went out !-- At the time I just took the wires loose and wired it to a regular light socket !---Been several years and D.D. wants more light !--- I need to go get a florescent fixture and mount it !--- Same with the front porch fixture !-- All over head !--The position that Hurts worst !--
The power company down here seem to work with the po-po !--- U can use all the power U want but they may come around to see how U use all that power !--- Purchasing that hot tub gives me a reason to use more power !-- I promise U though that if the neighborhood average power usage is say $200 a month and U using $1,000 worth U will have a visitor with questions !

Keef, I do not believe that it is legal for the electric company to indiscriminately give out information about electricity bill. Truly, the electric company only want their money. Working with the police is countercroductive (and most likely a a violation of your civil rights). I have never ever heard a verifiable story of someone getting busted for a personal grow because of their power bill. It will be a moot point if you switch to gas though.

I hate electrical work and do as little of it as possible. Changing out a light fixture is fairly simple though. Just make sure that you have the breaker turned off and that all your connections are tight and that the fixture is grounded. I have a tough time working overhead anymore, too.

It is hot here--forecast is 102. Heat like this just wipes me out and makes me mostly useless. So, better get morning chores done before it gets too hot. It is 80 already.

THG --U know how paranoid old pot farmers can be !--I don't want to give anyone a reason to get curious !
On my power bill is a line that says what percent of power I use compared to the rest of the neighborhood! -- I run about 100 % -150% more than average !---That is the line that scares me !--

THG -- Umbra said in New Jersey they came to find out why he used so much power !

In Florida operation eagle claw netted about 200 busts about 6 years ago, a month before the electric company came by asking why i was using so much electricity, I told them a random excuse that made perfect sense....a month later a whole lotta people got busted. They played it off as a public service initiative to stop electrical theft and to shut down all the grow houses in south Florida....seems the Mexican cartel would rent houses in nice neighborhoods and grow out the whole house 2 times then not renew the lease.....it was all politically motivated, and i don't know if those people affected were stealing or what, but it was a state wide deal started by FDLE. Just fyi...me personally i have never had a problem, but I always make sure I have a reason to consume, and i pay my bill on time every month.

all the links are dead now to the news stories...you'll just have to trust me ;)

South Florida's operation "no grow" & operation "eagle claw"

Postby xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:29 pm

hey yall just keeping track of whats going on locally, here we go first up is Operation "No Grow" a multi-agency operation that targeted marijuana hydroponic labs throughout Miami-Dade/Broward County, netted 900 marijuana plants with a street value of about $3 million. - link to article dead.

operation eagle claw and south Florida

Statewide raids strike pot growers in Broward, Palm Beach counties
June 13, 2009

Fort Lauderdale - Investigators arrest a total of 142 people and more than 6,800 marijuana plants were seized in one of the largest statewide operations targeting marijuana grown in Florida homes, authorities announced Friday.

Hot Tub burns through some power !-- Just fired up 3 more lights !--- Only time the hot tub is on is when we in it !--Plus I use LEDs so my power use is not too excessive !--They have never asked but I do have a reason for my power usage !-- Thinking about getting a little MIG welder too !-- I wish they would let us use solar or wind !-- If nothing else I could confuse them about my power usage !--
Hey THG --How goes it ?

Yes, hot tubs burn through some power. Mine cost me about 50-75 a month depending on what time of year it was and how cold it was outside. I kept my hot tub around 90-92 all the time and then turned it up an hour or so before I wanted to use. Most hot tubs actually do use power all the time--it will keep the water at the temp you designate and the jets automatically turn on a couple of times a day to keep the water clean and not stagnant. Not all of them are that way, but the better hot tubs will be.

Maybe it is because we have an abundance of cheap electricity out west here where a lot of power is supplied by hydroelectricity, but the power companies out here don't seem to care how much power you use if you pay your bill. Within reason, of course. I can see where whole house grows with a power bill in the thousands could give them probable cause for a warrant. However, we are talking smaller personal grows here, not whole house cartel grows. I cannot imagine that I am drawing attention to myself because my electricity bill is $300 in the winter and my neighbor's is $150. Never ever have I had a call or inquiry from the power company about my usage. And I used to have a hot tub, a welder, and a grow. However if it worries you a lot, you can do things to lower power usage in other areas to offset the power consumed by your lights. Use all CFLs or LEDs for household lighting. Set your thermostat a few degrees higher in the summer and a few degrees lower in the winter (do you have winter there?). Hang clothes outside rather than using an electric dryer. Turn your water heater down afew degrees and take shorter showers. Use a cold water detergent and wash your clothes in cold water. There are a lot of ways to cut your household use to offset grow usage.

I did not save that much using LEDs. I tried to replace a 1000W HPS with 700 working watts of LED (a 700W Mars II fixture and a 768W Apollo Sun) but it just did not cut it. I have not given up on the LEDs, but they do not produce what the HPS does. So, if ultimately, I have to have 1000W of LED or so to equal the growing power of a 1000W HPS, I am not saving anything. And in the winter, the heat from the lights is directed back into the living space to help heat that. They do produce a bit less heat, so A/C costs in the summer will be somewhat lower...if I do an inside grow in the summer.

Who does not let you use solar or wind? I have looked into solar, but the cost would be so prohibitive that I would not even begin to pay for it in my lifetime.

It is HOT here. Temps will be over 100 again today. I am trying to get a bit of yard work done in the morning and then hunker down inside in the afternoon. I do have to go to the grow store today and they do not open until 11. Yesterday, it was 90 degrees before 10. But the humidity was 14%--that does make a huge difference in how much heat you can handle.

We have such cheap electricity here I am shocked at what folks pay. I know having a small house helps, but we are very lucky.

We run our central air unit most of the time !-- We haven't had as much as frost in 3 years !-- Our winter is when the temp goes into 50s !-- That's one reason it's hard to grow weed down here !-- The bugs are never killed off by the weather !- I use Mars 300 Reflector Series lights one box - One light ! !-- It is more about heat than power usage for me !--- I put them " Hell Lights" up I cook everything !

My electric bill is $200 to $300 except in Summer with the A/C it pops up another $100.

My house is old and has a lot of leaks so all my utilities are high.

However, the important thing is how much per KWH (Kilowatt Hour) you pay. And, don't let all the "special" charges slip by. I take the total payment divided by the KWH used.

In my case, this month's total bill was $207.00 and I used 1528 KWH. So, my cost per KWH is 13.5 cents per KWH.

I'll bet you that's one of the highest in the country. What do you people in Cali pay per KWH?

Best thing we have done "this winter" is put 20 solar panels on our roof ....
our electric bill "summer months" is just the hookup fee &20.00 & So far this summer we have banked one month of winter useage "lights on" The house runs all electric... We pay 15.cents per KWH ...but have never used that much power....
As Rose was saying our power is cheep in the PNW ...but I like Spinning my meter backwards.....:)

Latest posts

Back