Anyone know Nanolux ballast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon_Dennison

Reaction score
gonna replace my two old ballast by new ones. It seems the Nanolux ballast looks unique in design. Is there any one who has used this ballast and how about the performance?

The Nanolux I looked at was hardwired to the socket. I didn't care for that. Most other ballasts I looked at had a plug. Most hoods I looked at had a plug. A small thing albeit.

No cooling fins? Again, no big deal but it made me raise an eyebrow.

And, this is just my personal opinion but I don't like the idea of a dimmable ballast. There has been talk in all directions about this and, although, I don't see anything totally wrong about it, I just didn't like the idea.

My ballast is not dimmable but rather, selectable. It doesn't have a 70%/50%/etc dial. It has a 1000w/600w/250w dial. According to the owners manual, it is not intended to run a 1000w bulb at any setting other than the 1000w. If you run the 600w setting, use a 600w bulb. 250w setting, a 250w bulb. I kind of like this better than the percent dial and dimming a higher wattage bulb to a lower setting.

Again, that's just my opinion and there are good arguments on all sides of this topic.

Been using them for 3 years with no problems.

I am not sure what you mean by hardwired to the socket?
Are you talking about the power cord?

My ballast has 2 jacks. Into one, you plug the power cord and then plug that into the wall.

The other jack accepts a standard plug from a hood/socket.

The Nanolux looked like the socket could not be unplugged from the ballast. Again, not a big deal but I like the option of swapping hoods with a single plug-in. Not having to re-mount the socket every time.

My nanos are plug in play.

Cool. Maybe it was just the one model I looked at.

Latest posts

Back