Anyone try Miracle Grow Organic Choice soil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
godspeedsuckah said:
I tried the MG organic and had alot of problems with fungus knats. Dirty evil fungus knats and their rock n' roll music!!

I am having the same problem I think they come with the soil. Thats why its 8 bucks instead of the normal 6. you get 2 dollars worth of gnats

Gnats might not even be from the manufacturer, it could be from the store it was sitting in, look at all the pallets of soil they have in stores they can easily fly from one bag to another.... However I hear most people complain about gnats with organic choice... The gnat larvae will eat new root growth and if it gets bad enough it can cause your plants to yellow and droop...

I dont mess around anymore, all of my plants get a layer of medium grade sand over the top... No more gnats...

Disco94 said:
I know this is a little late, but I gotta ask. Does anybody know a great organic soil brand available at Wal-Mart or a local chain-like store? I really don't like ordering anything but seeds online and would like to just pick it up locally. My local nursery has no Fox Farms BTW.
I use Hyponex from walmart, but I mix in a bag of Miracle grow perlite to every two bags of Hyponex, if you don't hyponex by itself will compact and get hard. I just throw it in the wheel barrow and hand mix it. You will find a few hard clumps in it like Andy said, but I just toss those. It will do the job for you and its not pre-nuted. I think the perlite has some trace nutrients in it but nothing to worry about. :)

I used Miracle-gro most of the time for the same reason--it's all they have in the store most of the year. The last couple times I cut it about 1/4 with nice, well rotted compost and a couple handfuls of perlite per gallon. Other than that, I didn't have much problem with it. It IS pre-fertilized which I didn't like, but I figured that by the time flowering came around, most of the fertilizer would have been used up or washed out. I had good luck with it. Then after the grow, I recycle the soil by composting it and putting it out by the tomatos and peppers.

Latest posts

Back