Anything special about Smart Pots?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, thanks.

I just got back from the store and I noticed 1 thing immediately.

A 2 gallon smart pot doesn't hold anywhere near 2 gallons of soil. It holds 1.3 gallons. And, that's if it's filled to the brim.

I knew something was wrong as soon as I saw them.

The mfg web site has the dimensions of the 2 gallon pot as 8" in diameter and 7" tall.

Figure it out... Vcu=r2 pi h

Then, 1 Cubic Inch = 0.00372020347 Gallons [Dry, US]

Do they stretch? LMAO

So I guess they did send me 2 gallon and not one gallon. Maybe need to go up to 3 gallons then.
Good info Hackerman

The 3 gallon bags would hold 2.5 gallons to the brim. So, the way I leave a little at the top, it would probably be about 2 gallons of dirt.

But, they are 10.5 inches in diameter so I am back to only 16 pots in my 4x4 space.

I have decided that I will use both my plastic pots and the new smart pots in the next grow. I'll see what real difference it makes. Can't wait until harvest to see the comparison of root balls between the 2.

Look for lots of small feeder roots, not the big woody things... I use 3 gallon topped to the brim with soil.

By the time I harvest just about the whole one Gallon Smart Pot is full of roots. It looks as if the plant ate all the soil.

But, they are 10.5 inches in diameter so I am back to only 16 pots in my 4x4 space.

I have decided that I will use both my plastic pots and the new smart pots in the next grow. I'll see what real difference it makes. Can't wait until harvest to see the comparison of root balls between the 2.
I base amount of plants in a space, on plant size...not pot size ? A 10 diameter plant is very small, and not being allowed to use it's canopy to full advantage. Spreading the plant out(LST, SCROG, HST), serves the plant & gardener many advantages...your yields will be higher, and quality much better, plant much healthier.....JMHO

By the time I harvest just about the whole one Gallon Smart Pot is full of roots. It looks as if the plant ate all the soil.

Hammy, that's the only reason I haven't tried them. My rootballs are very healthy, and growing out of the top of the soil....I can't even stick a chopstick into the dirt....if I had any more roots, I'd just be a root grower :)

My pots are always solid roots at harvest time as well. It really does seem like the roots just eat it. LOL MJ must have an incredible root growth ability if left unlimited.

I would love to see a root ball from one of the outdoor growers who grow in ground where it has unlimited space. With those giant "trees" they are growing, the root ball must be massive.

I base amount of plants in a space, on plant size...not pot size ? A 10 diameter plant is very small, and not being allowed to use it's canopy to full advantage. Spreading the plant out(LST, SCROG, HST), serves the plant & gardener many advantages...your yields will be higher, and quality much better, plant much healthier.....JMHO

I am learning that.

I guess my goal here is to find the sweet spot for my space/light/needs/desires and abilities.

One major change that I have just experienced is genetics.

With my Sativa having a 16 week or longer maturity time, you treat plants very differently. For one, those bottom branches and buds you all cut off and throw away produce a ton of volume because they get to grow for 4 months. And, the colas get giant. Those colas I posted are bigger than just about anything I have seen posted here. And, why shouldn't they. They are allowed to grow for over 4 months.

With a plant that matures in 60 days, I absolutely agree, those bottom branches become useless.

And, the top colas are not a great deal bigger than the second and third branch buds.

This availability of good genetics will change my growing techniques dramatically. Look and see at the posts I am making now and the posts I make a year from now. My guess is that I will be assimilated. LOL

Thanks, again to all for the great input. Terrific forum and great people. I'm glad I stumbled my way in here.

I am using Geo pots, my one gallon are 7x7, they are the same as smart pots, the material is a little thicker .

Holy cow Bwanabud, man, you make the rest of us look like slackers, well me anyway. What strain is that? You are a good provider!

Rose, naaaw just get lucky a lot :)

Those are Cal Connection Black Water's, they were starting to burn up calling for Nitrogen....but finished in time, great smoke for sure tho.

I've got millions of pictures, just don't want to bore the peeps...or resize them all :)

I use and like smart pots, I prefer air pots because they are more rigid and they are deeper. I find that some genetics have a deeper tap root, and given the same volume, the air pot is deeper, so those genetics seem to do better. Based solely on yield, i think both perform similarly.

Bwana you are making want to try SCROG sooner than later man. Nice job.

Bwana you are making want to try SCROG sooner than later man. Nice job.

I truly think for the tent grower, it's the shizzle. Being able to control not only the footprint of the plant, and the entire canopies height....would maximize growing space & ease in controlling temps...with better air flow.

Try it 1 time...3/4" pvc pipe & .080 weed whacker string...$10-$15 worth of materials, heck what ya got to lose ? :)

BTW:For those wondering about harvesting scrogs, cut the plant at the base,,remove pot,,,drop plant out of scrog net. I put my plants trunk in a 4" bench vice(bolted to a scrap of wood), and trim/strip....hang & dry as normal.

One thing I like about smart pots is that they are pliable (not rigid). I used 5 gal smart pots and in my veg cab I could squish them around to fit more in.....I couldn't do that with the 5 gal buckets.

I like the smart pots with handles, and the smaller ones don't have 'em.

So I am growing with soil and as I am probably only going to get to keep one plant after sexing I am looking into a 10 gal smart pot. I will be transplanting from a four-five gallon plastic container. My plant is doing well but last I transplanted everything died fast. I want the better rooting from the smart pot and I may just have the one sweet tree. Is this gonna be overkill for a sativa and I am looking to get the best from my first time around. I have the same soil mix that it is being grown in now. I just don't want my baby to die after transplanting. BTW the four gal is not full of soil its 2/3 full. I need some opinions. I am not overly concerned with end yield but I want a good result when I'm done. I'm learning and I just want something to be semi proud of at the end and as most will agree(these are like my children, as I have none). So to transplant or not to the smart pot? Do you think that I am better to wait till my second attempt at growing? The plants health comes first. HELP!

So I am growing with soil and as I am probably only going to get to keep one plant after sexing I am looking into a 10 gal smart pot. I will be transplanting from a four-five gallon plastic container. My plant is doing well but last I transplanted everything died fast. I want the better rooting from the smart pot and I may just have the one sweet tree. Is this gonna be overkill for a sativa and I am looking to get the best from my first time around. I have the same soil mix that it is being grown in now. I just don't want my baby to die after transplanting. BTW the four gal is not full of soil its 2/3 full. I need some opinions. I am not overly concerned with end yield but I want a good result when I'm done. I'm learning and I just want something to be semi proud of at the end and as most will agree(these are like my children, as I have none). So to transplant or not to the smart pot? Do you think that I am better to wait till my second attempt at growing? The plants health comes first. HELP!

Transplanting is not going to kill your plant. I would say 10 gallon pot is a bit of over kill unless you have the space to veg and train for a while and grow a good sized plant.

Latest posts

Back