1. The July Children, photo by JGVermont1965
    Dismiss Notice

Are L.E.D.'s worth it?

Discussion in 'DIY Forum / Technical Articles' started by JGVermont1965, Apr 3, 2019.

?

Do you feel l.e.d.'s are in the same league with h.p s. and metal halides?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Apr 3, 2019 #1

JGVermont1965

JGVermont1965

JGVermont1965

What's your opinion?
    Are they worth the money?
    Is there a better option?
    Good/bad/ugly or beautiful I want to hear it !

Rosebud likes this.
  2. Apr 3, 2019 #2

QBCrocket

QBCrocket

QBCrocket

I have had 3 grows on LED after 10 years of HPS I don't think they have the penetration the HPS has , could be the quality of my lights - but by changing the style of grow Ive had some good results - there are other benefits- easier to control temp - power bill has halved- plants look better alround

Rosebud, Aksarben and JGVermont1965 like this.
  3. Apr 4, 2019 #3

2RedEyes

2RedEyes

2RedEyes

Something clever...

Retired
    Me being a late comer, I never bothered with anything other than leds...my grow space is small and not in the house but in my shop/shed...no ac so I need to keep the heat down...I doubt my yield is as good as most but I’m still learning, I try to keep my costs as low as I can and leds seem to help with that as they use less power and don’t seem to produce as much heat as other lighting systems...I see a lot of people using leds these days and I see some pretty nice looking flowers being produced so for me they seem worthwhile...I don’t know if they compare to the old school lighting systems, but I’ll stick with what I got...

Rosebud, Aksarben, QBCrocket and 2 others like this.
  4. Apr 4, 2019 #4

novitius

novitius

novitius

From what I've seen lately as someone wondering the same thing, yes, but it takes more fixtures. That's my opinion based on research, not actual experimentation. My experience with vegging plants however says I'll never buy another CFL or Flouro fixture again and I feel like with a decent LED Id skip MH for vegging too. Onc eI got comfortable with moving the lamp down to about 3" from the canopy they started to look great.

5. Apr 4, 2019 #5

Hamster Lewis

Hamster Lewis

Hamster Lewis

Furry Moderator Staff Member Admin Moderator

You can find good budget friendly LED Lights or go with the pricier and better options. I have been using King LED Lights for a couple of years now and get good result. Been pulling a steady 3+ounces dry per plant in one gallon smart pots.

drcree, Aksarben and novitius like this.
  6. Apr 5, 2019 #6

Aksarben

Aksarben

Aksarben

I use a full spectrum SANSI LED light. Looks good and things are growing green. One has to account for cost of electricity overall, and LED will do for my situation.

JGVermont1965 likes this.
  7. Apr 8, 2019 #7

Chewbongo

Chewbongo

Chewbongo

noobie with a doobie

What kind of veg time??

8. Apr 10, 2019 #8

Hamster Lewis

Hamster Lewis

Hamster Lewis

Usually 5 to 6 weeks veg. 10 weeks of flower time.

9. Apr 10, 2019 #9

Rosebud

Rosebud

Rosebud

Organic dirt farmer Staff Member Admin Moderator

I don't think LED's are in the same catagory as the others you mentioned. I think they are better. HPS are hot an cost a lot to run. LEd isn't hot and cheaper to run. Here is the last sativa I did and it penetrated the whole bush. DSCF5240.JPG

Aksarben, burnin1 and St_Nick like this.
  10. Apr 11, 2019 #10

Aksarben

Aksarben

Aksarben

I would agree, that LED for home- hobbyist is a superior light in output vs cost of electricity. However, in the commercial aspect I have seen pictures in magazines of HPS and hybrid systems using HPS & LED. HPS would be (my opinion) a more desired light in massive grow rooms exceeding 12 feet wide or wider and very long. Nothing like 220 V for dealing with large industrial light concerns either.

The better LEDs are now made to have effective light growing spectrum, and put out that light cheaper than just about anything else.

11. Apr 12, 2019 #11

HFMedicinals

HFMedicinals

HFMedicinals

I believe fully in the LEDs. I was skeptical, but I have some serious plant growth under a single 450w LED. My mothers (I had 4 in a 3x3 area) loved the light. I had to remove two of them because there was just too much growth. going on.

Put two of the mothers into the flowering tent and they are under a 900w LED and I simply can't control the plants. I am going to have to make some serious changes next flowering because it's going to get crazy in there.

But, as people are saying commercial side of things may be different, but I see a LOT of commercial growers here going to LED over HPS/MH simply because one light can do both, they last longer, and are essentially cheaper in the end when compared to buying replacement parts, bulbs, cooling fans, reflectors, etc.

I think it ultimately comes down to your processes and flower rotation. If you have that down, you can still produce as much as HPS/MH using multi stage veg/clone/flower processes. Every couple months here at home I am producing well over 1/2lb doing very minimal work. That's with just two plants in each phase of my grow operation. 1/2lb might not be much for everyone else, but for me, it's actually TOO much.

burnin1, thegloman and Aksarben like this.
  12. Apr 12, 2019 #12

Hamster Lewis

Hamster Lewis

Hamster Lewis

For the home grower LED is where it is at. I will never switch back. 2 years and I have not had to replace a bulb or worry about heat.

burnin1, 2RedEyes and hollowpoint like this.
  13. Apr 21, 2019 at 3:19 PM #13

Passionbilly

Passionbilly

Passionbilly

Full spectrum, VIPARSPECTRA been using it for two years. Bills are very low. Hydro, the light stays right on top of the plant, check once a day, if it burns lift the light.
    I only have one hook with strings from the corners of the lamp unit. It,s full auto system, sometimes I don't check it for days. If I go away for a long weekend I just make the water is topped up
    and the lift the light two inches.