Auto Flower....back at it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The assorted babies.

5 - Agoo by Carty
Sour60 x Blue Streak F3
3 - Gambian F7
1 - Black Strap x Grape
Dosi Breath

20220315_235238.jpg

20220315_235020.jpg

Beserk Auto BW x GDB
20220315_235346.jpg

20220315_235253.jpg

Gambian F7
20220315_235420.jpg

20220315_235534.jpg

Only the Beserk Auto is feminized while others will have to be sexed. Hoping to hit 6
again..

Last edited:
Brother Cartman , I thought you would enjoy this little diddy on the origins of autoflowers

feel free to add your thoughts

To understand where autoflowering seeds come from we need to know more about the genetics from autoflowering seeds. The reason why these cannabis seeds are autoflowering is the presence of ‘Cannabis ruderalis’ in their genetic make up.

Cannabis ruderalis is a cannabis plant that most-likely originates from eastern and central Europe where she grows in the wild in large quantities. These days you can find her also growing throughout Canada and the United States. This cannabis plant was named ‘ruderalis’ after the German word ‘ruderal’, which means ‘weeds growing by the roadside’. Although some botanical experts claim that Cannabis ruderalis is a species of her own, which would make her a sister of Cannabis sativa and Cannabis indica, Cannabis ruderalis is most-likely a subspecies of Cannabis sativa that escaped from outdoor plantations and ended up in the wild.

The area in eastern and central Europe where Cannabis ruderalis naturally grows has different environmental factors than the areas on this planet where Cannabis sativa and Cannabis indica can be found. The summers are colder and shorter. Besides this there’s during summer a period when it’s light for almost 24 hours a day, not giving the plants enough time to rest during night time. In order to survive, the Cannabis ruderalis adapted to her new location and started to flower quicker and earlier, until they became completely autoflowering at one point.

Cannabis ruderalis has been used in Russian and Mongolian medicinal and shamanistic traditions for a long time. In the nineties the ‘Mongolian Academy of Sciences’ did a research on shamanic and folk knowledge of medicinal plants in Mongolia. They found that Cannabis sativa and Cannabis ruderalis have been used for various medicinal purposes in Mongolia. Even though Cannabis ruderalis has a lack of psychoactive potency, it’s plausible that shamans in Mongolia have used the Cannabis ruderalis in order to reach their ‘shamanic trance’.

Grower’s experimenting with Cannabis ruderalis
During the seventies and eighties some cannabis growers from Canada started to experiment with Cannabis ruderalis. They tried to cross Cannabis sativa and indica with Cannabis ruderalis. At the same time Neville Schoenmaker (founder of ‘The Seed Bank’, currently known as Sensi Seeds) was also experimenting with sativa/indica/ruderalis crossings in The Netherlands.

Although the Canadian growers and Neville did succeed in producing some crossings between sativa, indica and ruderalis, they were all not entirely satisfied and they stopped working with Cannabis ruderalis by a lack of good results. The main problem was the stability; they were not able to produce a stable, potent and fully autoflowering cannabis strain.

The introduction of Lowryder by The Joint Doctor
The whole situation around autoflowering seeds drastically changed when ‘The Joint Doctor’ came into the picture and introduced his ‘Lowryder’ strain. The Lowryder was introduced by The Joint Doctor the beginning of this century and was a crossing between Cannabis ruderalis, a William’s Wonder and a Northern Lights #2. The Lowryder was the first commercial, fully autoflowering cannabis strain on the market and showed the cannabis scene the huge potential of autoflowering Cannabis ruderalis hybrids.

The Joint Doctor was introduced to Cannabis ruderalis by his Mexican friend Antonio. Antonio gave The Joint Doctor some cannabis seeds he called ‘Mexican Rudy’ and told him this strain stayed short and flowered earlier than anything else. It’s not quite clear where this ‘Mexican Rudy’ originated from, but The Joint Doctor believes Mexican Rudy was an experimental cross of Cannabis ruderalis from Russia and Mexican cannabis, probably produced at the University of Mississippi during the 70’s. The Joint Doctor tried to do some more research about this cross, but could only find some obscure references. In any case, the strain was kept and grown out in Canada for several years before The Joint Doctor got his hands on them.

After growing Mexican Rudy for the first time, the Joint Doctor found out that she was very fast-maturing indeed and crossed her with a Northern Lights #2. He chose Northern Lights #2 for her (also) short stature and high level of THC. The result were some F1 seeds that produced nice plants, quick and compact, but they were not completely autoflowering. The Joint Doctor decided to cross this F1 with a few different varieties, of the best clones he could find. One of the clones he used was William’s Wonder. In the first batch of seedlings from William’s Wonder x (NL#2 x Mexican Rudy), he found some unusual male plants that flowered immediately, while they had only grown just a few sets of leaves.

The Joint Doctor used these autoflowering males as pollinators, and this caused his next generation to be fully autoflowering and they all finished within 60 days. From seed to harvest… His plants did not grow taller than 12 inches; an ideal plant for small closet growers. The Joint Doctor realized he had something special.

This first hybrid between William’s Wonder x (NL#2 x Rudy) was named ’Willy’s Automatic’ by The Joint Doctor. He continued with growing and experimenting with Willy’s Automatic and after 5 or 6 generations the strain was stable enough to be released. The Joint Doctor renamed Willy’s Automatic into ‘Lowryder’ and introduced the very first stable and fully autoflowering seed on the commercial seed market.

The first reactions on the Lowryder were skeptical. The Lowryder was not a particular good yielding plant and had a lack of potency. Besides the relatively small harvest and low THC% a lot of people did not like the taste and flavor of the Lowryder. Although there was a lot of skepticism, Lowryder did cause a certain buzz in the scene of cannabis cultivators thanks to her unusual ability to flower automatically.

The Joint Doctor realized he needed something better to come up with, so he went back to the stage of experimenting. He crossed the Lowryder with a Cannabis sativa from Brazil called Santa Maria and after a few generations of breeding to get her stabilized, the result was astonishing. The Joint Doctor had been able to create an autoflowering strain that had more potency and that had a much better taste and flavor than the original Lowryder. Last, but not least, it also had a much bigger yield. The Lowryder #2 was born.

Thanks to Lowryder #2 the buzz around autoflowering cannabis strains got enormous and more and more cannabis growers got convinced about the special qualities of autoflowering seeds. After Lowryder #2 The Joint Doctor released several other autoflowering seeds, such as Chronic Ryder, Diesel Ryder and Easy Ryder. All these autoflowering strains were based on the Lowryder #2. Since the Joint Doctor introduced his Lowryder many other breeders started to focus on the creation of new autoflowering seeds with their own characteristics.

Dinafem has been growing and experimenting with autoflowering seeds for many years and these days Dinafem is taking the lead in the research and development of new autoflowering cannabis seeds. At this moment Dinafem has an astonishing assortment of 6 different autoflowering seeds and you can be assured we will keep working hard on our autoflowering strains and surprise the cannabis grower’s world with some incredible new autoflowering seeds in the (near) future.
#autoflowerinfo

Thanks Big old friend. Love it when someone goes out of their way to do a nice share for others. Kudos.

Many people don't take the time to get to know what they are growing by researching it's genetic make up and getting to the parental source, their traits, what to look for etc.. I fell in love with this new Auto Gambian F7 until
it came harvest time. Due to her NL influence she has a terrible leaf to bud ratio and is a trimming nightmare.. And,
when you get done trimming all the leaf away the budsize is just not all there. not totally disappointed, don't get me wrong.. It's a solid 7.

You can actually purchase 1000 Polish Ruderalis on ebay for mere dollars... my partner ZZ bought a bunch a few years ago and we passed them out..

Awesome read brother. I grew Lowryders and they didn't get but about 6 to 12 inches tall and wasn't very strong. But was fun as **** growing. They have come along ways since then.

Yeah, problem is, that is exactly what it was designed for and potency was an issue in the earlier days as nobody but
1 breeder was working the game of AF.. so it was made to be balcony weed so anyone could grow them on their balcony and not even the nearby neighbor could see it.. so what, foot and a half maybe.

Lowryder II is what brought on the big changes in Autos, known as the Next Gen. By adding Santa Maria to LR 1
it really beefed things up, added potency and interest. Few years later the AF game started to take off and all the large breeders got involved to get their part of the $$ and it benefited all of us. Competition in this game breeds
better strains.. and now you got this guy Carty stepping up his game. Gabagoo is coming for you.. LMAO

Big... found my notes on my Auto strains cleaning up the grow room the other day and ran across a notebook..
Both my Gabagoo and Blue Vangoo are based on Sour60 of yours I crossed to Blue Streak F3 to make Agoo..

Gabagoo was a collaboration I did with Sugar Sweet using his 515 - W. C. OG x Cash Crop female x Agoo male.

she is getting very popular. Blue Vangoo hasn't had enough attention, didn't share her as much.. but it's a wicked
cross using Kush Van Stitch and Agoo..

Currently..
3 Agoo with 2 females sexed a few days ago, 1 still awaiting.
3 Gambian F7 a week behind but feminized
1 Black Strap x GDB by Beserk Auto feminized, shown sex few days ago

Agoo
Tent 1 Agoo.jpg

Gambian a wk behind, all fems'
Tent 1 Gambian.jpg

Beserk Auto
Black Strap x GDB.jpg

Final trimming being done and the last 2 come down tomorrow as the seeds are beginning to push open the calyx's and I don't want to lose any. just beginning to show some amber heads so for a 1st run that I partially seeded I"m
pretty dang happy.

So far I've put away 50 seeds by plucking the ones at the base of buds or at branching node areas...

Keeping them all separated so I can label them accordingly as I test smoke them all.. because ya never know huh?

Yep and I loved growing Gabagoo and will be growing her again believe me.👍

Sweet... my brother Argo up in Colorado has a big following of it, just sent him a nice assortment of my works.. he's
one of the 1st to really make her take off nice.. I'm growing 3 of her Daddy atm. Agoo. Sour60 x Blue Streak F3

awesome job there Brother Cartman!

you have definitely raised the bar on auto flowers

keep up the good work my Friend!

It's just the genetics making me look good. I say most of my success has been figuring out what pots to use with autos.. inspecting root balls and realizing the air pruning and the shorter life cycle, a 2gal/tall felt pot is perfect..
if feminized seeds, I start them right off in them. if I have to sex them, 1gal plastic pot until sex shows, up pot girls.

The Gamhazn is very tasty and sugar coated buds... however, the leaf to bud ratio is terrible and a trimming nightmare. Be a great strain to make hash or oils with because every dang leaf is just covered with goodness and ya almost cry cutting it off.. but if ya don't it's to harsh. so lots of stuff to be pressed or whatever which I don't do.. lol

g3 f (2).jpg
g3 d (2).jpg
g3 e (2).jpg

In these last 2 shots you can see a seed trying to break out the calyx
g 3b (2).jpg
Gamhazn 3 (2).jpg

I still have some Miss Piggy I haven't grown yet. I did try to pop one when I was starting my Gabagoo but she didn't want to poke her head up. Next time I will scarify her.

I still have some Miss Piggy I haven't grown yet. I did try to pop one when I was starting my Gabagoo but she didn't want to poke her head up. Next time I will scarify her.
I had the same problem with a couple seeds popped but didn’t poke their head up. I thought it was the root riot plugs but it also didn’t poke her head up. Big said it may be the strain or seeds. I scratched the second one up a bit which helped it pop sooner but still not enough energy to push out of the dirt like my other seeds did…

Be nice if you have the Miss Piggy before she went to Canada and got screwed up by being crossed to an Auto Affie that wasn't an auto, but a nickname for a fast finishing Affie.. ruined her as an auto, but omg does she get huge.. my bro up in Mass had her over 2stories tall in backyard..

then I had a BIG project going in Humboldt where people were making seeds of Gabagoo and Miss PIggy, had an acre seeded up and I was to get 1000 of each, they keep the rest. MP was 11ft, Gabagoo was 6-7ft. man it was epic.
few weeks before harvest it all got taken by a bad crime went down at the house, domestic..

I had the same problem with a couple seeds popped but didn’t poke their head up. I thought it was the root riot plugs but it also didn’t poke her head up. Big said it may be the strain or seeds. I scratched the second one up a bit which helped it pop sooner but still not enough energy to push out of the dirt like my other seeds did…

Take a razor blade and shave the seam.. soak in water until it sinks, damp paper towel 3 days.. if it hasn't popped
open. Put it between your teeth and bite on it so the seam cracks open. back into paper towel for 24hrs..
then into dirt.

Time to up pot a few....

Ness.. here is what is so great about starting them in 1gal plastic orchid pots.. they really breath and build up a nice
base of roots to establish the plant. this works perfect going into a felt pot that will begin air trimming the roots to create feeder roots, the roots you want during flower.

3wks old up pot.jpg
large roots (2).jpg
Agoo 2 is hairy.jpg
Agoo 2 up potted.jpg

and Beserk got the other 2gal felt pot
Beserk in 2gal felt pot (2).jpg

Beserk budding up.jpg

Gambian F7 a week behind the others... keeping them in the 1gal pots to see how they perform.
Gambian 2wks old + (2).jpg

Hey bro. I was transplanting my veggies yesterday into their new felt pots and I decided to see why my the Gabagoo hadn't poked her head(hope it's a her) and so carefully started removing soil and dug her up. She had a tail and inch long but hadn't made it to the top yet so I covered her back up with less soil on top.
Should be up today. Gonna grow this one outside from start to finish and see what happens. Fingers crossed it's a girl.👍
I will keep a grow journal for ya bro where everybody can see her. Thinking I might try and pop another one just in case. Took 4 days from the time I dropped it in the soil. Kept it wet and in the sun during the day and inside at night. And yes I like to use mother nature to germinate.
Yehaaaaaaaaaaa 🤠

Be nice if you have the Miss Piggy before she went to Canada and got screwed up by being crossed to an Auto Affie that wasn't an auto, but a nickname for a fast finishing Affie.. ruined her as an auto, but omg does she get huge.. my bro up in Mass had her over 2stories tall in backyard..

then I had a BIG project going in Humboldt where people were making seeds of Gabagoo and Miss PIggy, had an acre seeded up and I was to get 1000 of each, they keep the rest. MP was 11ft, Gabagoo was 6-7ft. man it was epic.
few weeks before harvest it all got taken by a bad crime went down at the house, domestic..

Take a razor blade and shave the seam.. soak in water until it sinks, damp paper towel 3 days.. if it hasn't popped
open. Put it between your teeth and bite on it so the seam cracks open. back into paper towel for 24hrs..
then into dirt.
Not really having a problem popping them but I will remember the bite thing…😊 the seed actually popped in the glass but when I put it in the root riot plug it never came up. I then tried it again with the more comfortable method in peat plug with another seed of the same strain this time scratching it up a bit first. It as well popped in the glass but didn’t pop out of the dirt. None of my other seeds have ever done this. Big said it may be genetics. I have one more seed of that strain left but have made notes to try something new next time with it. I think I will go with the paper towel method next time thinking they may be drowning a little in the glass. Thanx Carty 😊

Latest posts

Back